1jz into an 87 supra

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
got a quick question,

If i get a 89 1jz front clip, will i be able to use the jdm front cross member so I can istall the 1jz into my 87 or am I better off just getting BIC motor mounts?

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
well..... i bought a front clip and i plan on swapping out the motor mounts and crossmember from the front clip into my 89 supra b/c i refuse to spend anymore money than i need to. plus i don;t feel like waiting 3 weeks for the mounts to get there. sure the mount are easier to change, but i dont see y i should buy mounts when i have everything in the front clip that i need to make it work..... hopefully i dont have any regrets about this. lol

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
well, #1stunnaVic, ok, please let me know how that goes. In a way, I thinking the same as you, why should i spend a bit more when i can just swap it out because i'll have all the parts from the clip.

The thing is, will the cross member from a right hand drive supra work with a left hand drive one?

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
alright., thanks guys..but i just wanted to know, if the jdm crossmember is compatible...

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
yes it is. i did it yesterday! lol. i just got back on this site ive been away for awhile....(bought a gsxr1000) anyway not trying to thread jack. yes the crossmember will work and looks stock. some people hacked there mounts and bought swap mounts and there engines go in but look a little crooked in a few cases.

swapping the crossmember and buying new stock mounts ur good to go. it takes longer though. it took about 2 hours to drop the old one and maybe 2 and half to put the new on.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
i dont deny that using the bic mounts are faster and easier but my point is from a cost effective view i already have the front crossmember with my clip. the bic mounts cost almost $200 which i could put towards some other upgrades. y not just use the crossmember? time is not an issue for me at least. im not rushin my swap. if i can save myself $200 dollars and have to work an extra day or two to swap subframes then im willing to do it. i don't care about time, its not an issue for me. the summer is over now anyway and i have a nice long winter to wait before the car comes back out so whats the rush? thats just my reasoning on it though. everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
True True. it took me a whoping 5 hours to swap crossmembers and set in the engine. granted i had a friend help me so it went alot faster than it would if u were by urself. i recommend using an engine hoist if ur by urself to raise the new crossmember into place. with a friend (or my wife in my case) u can just lift it into place and put the 4 nuts on and position it to get the all the rest to line up. its not really hard to do. it looks like alot but there are only a handful of bolts actually holding the crossmember on.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
my point exactly. its really not that bad as its being made out to be. especially if you have some experience, access to a lift, and a helping hand. all of which i have. if you were doing the swap by urself then i would consider buying the bic mounts.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
is crossmember independent from steering rack? i cant remember. if they work i say go for it... i mean mine is messed up already i wish i had an extra to put in :)

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
the steering bolts onto the crossmember. its like 4 bolts iirc. not a problem just disconnect steering from the spindles, spindles from crossmember, steering from crossmember and then the crossmember from car.