1JZ-Intermittently Won't Start

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
This is almost for sure a problem with the connection to the starter solenoid. There is a blue wire going from the ignition switch directly to the little tab on the starter solenoid (comes through the firewall by the main engine harness). Over the years this wire gets corroded and the resistance gets too high and it won't activate the starter. Sometimes you can just pull the plug off and clean the contacts and it will fix it. Usually you need to either replace the entire wire or do the "relay mod". Connect a relay in line with the blue wire, using the blue wire to switch on the relay, and then a new wire running to the positive terminal of the battery as the 12V source. This should will almost for sure solve your problem.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
Other then the fact the his lights are dimming some times... which means it's not a starter issue.

tErbo b00st;1837454 said:
This is almost for sure a problem with the connection to the starter solenoid. There is a blue wire going from the ignition switch directly to the little tab on the starter solenoid (comes through the firewall by the main engine harness). Over the years this wire gets corroded and the resistance gets too high and it won't activate the starter. Sometimes you can just pull the plug off and clean the contacts and it will fix it. Usually you need to either replace the entire wire or do the "relay mod". Connect a relay in line with the blue wire, using the blue wire to switch on the relay, and then a new wire running to the positive terminal of the battery as the 12V source. This should will almost for sure solve your problem.

JeffTheJerk

Apr 12, 2012
New Mexico
Hey sorry I havent checked back for a while... I had the car at a friends house who was gonna swap the stock turbos for some rebuilt ones but decided if I am gonna pull the whole engine to pull the stockers off might as well wait and just go single turbo. So it was out of commission for a few weeks. I still have not fixed the problem yet though...I will def look into the blue wire that runs to the started though and possibly running a relay...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jeff, while you're at it, I'd go through and replace anything you don't want to do with the engine IN the car. ;)

JeffTheJerk

Apr 12, 2012
New Mexico
seoul4korea;1847706 said:
might as well!! You could even clean up the bay a bit and paint it if you want (If it doesn't look as good as you'd like)

I def plan on doing that...there are all sorts of odds and ends that don't really belong anymore in the bay lol and now I can paint the car black and not have to worry so much about the bay being a different color 8D