1jz intake trouble

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
Hey guys,
I have my 1jz in my 74' datsun 260z that is just about done. The only issue is that their is no room to run an intake on this car and I basically have the filter mounted on the turbo. My question is that I won't have an intake tube with a fitting to suck out the crank case vapors to run a catch can, so my question is what should I do about the crank case vent? Any ideas? Here is a pic of how it is setup-
p1266134_1.jpg

SupraFreak13

1JZ Drift Celica
Jan 3, 2009
Baltimore MD
Does the catch can need to be hooked to the intake? What about just putting a small filter/vent on your can instead of a hose to the intake.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
so you guys think that just running the catch can without a vacuum source will be okay? Anyone running it like that?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
My buddies car is ran like that (just a filter on the Valve cover) and it works fine. But yea, it is better to have it before the turbo so it helps pull the gases out of the crank case.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
The breather is routed to the intake mostly for emissions reasons. The amount of vacuum at that point in the system is negligible. If you can't make it work, just use a breather filter on the valve cover port.

SupraFreak13

1JZ Drift Celica
Jan 3, 2009
Baltimore MD
mobes;1267559 said:
The breather is routed to the intake mostly for emissions reasons. The amount of vacuum at that point in the system is negligible. If you can't make it work, just use a breather filter on the valve cover port.

If you have a catch can you should use it...I've seen a few valve cover filters that get filled with oil and it makes a big mess all over your engine eventually.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
SupraFreak13;1267632 said:
If you have a catch can you should use it...I've seen a few valve cover filters that get filled with oil and it makes a big mess all over your engine eventually.

I guess I should clarify that I didn't intend to discourage the use of a catch can (I run one myself) but just that the connection to the intake itself isn't the important part.
As tlo86 said, it is very important that there is adequate venting to the crankcase. When the intake is under vacuum, that port allows fresh air to enter and equalize the pressure. Most importantly with a boosted motor, under boost when the PCV valve closes that breather port is the only place for blowby gasses to evacuate.