1jz help!

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
hey guys, I really need your help

today freaked me out

I went to the dentist, and when I got in my car to get home, the car wouldn't start, it just clicked and the starter wouldn't go

I tried to call Aaron, but I guess he's on thanksgiving break (just my luck :()

anyhow, I prayed to Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Vishnu and all the heathen gods of old from the earth, air, fire, sky, and water for her to start, and frantically just turned the key again and again till CLICK!!!! she started!

then she just randomly revved up to 1.5k-2k and repeat again and again, nothing I did could bring her down to the normal 700 rpm idling, idk wtf happened! I think my ecu might be screwed!!!

so I turned her off, and started again and it did the same thing (but it did turn over in 1 attempt) and then again and it did the same thing, about 3 times later, it started, went to 1.5k and came down to 1k, then stayed there

now my car was idling very happily at 700rpm for all these times, but now she won't go below 900rpm, and I feel she's losing low end power :(

I don't have a wideband so Idk wtf is going on with the fuel

so,

based on this, do you guys think that it's the ecu as I suspected?

I checked all of the connections and they are all good and secure, Driftmotion did all the wiring, so I don't think there is a problem with them :(

Aaron was critizing my installation of the AFC-NEO before so I took it out, so yea, idk wtf, help!

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
did you splice into the rpm signal id check your wires if you did i had this problum on a prelude when i took it of it was like removing a piece of the ecu brian so i reset it disco the batt and let it sit and then reconnected it and it was fine you could try that

Tajabaho1

Aug 1, 2009
Socal
yes and no, now the car won't go into higher rev on cold start

it just sits at very low idle until it warms up

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
well it a start the 2nd part might be normaly just as a safety feature really dont want to high rev on a old moter anyways

hurricanehyshka

Aug 4, 2005
edmonton
sounds like your ecu reset itself?? thats what happens to mine when I pull the batt out, and then restart with batt installed revs up and down and slowly settles.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
scottiedawg66;1491212 said:
any ideas on the easiest / cheapest way to find a IAC for a 1j. Do they cross reference any other common toyotas?

the IAC is such a pain in the ass(would leak under boost, erratic idle, vacuum leak)
i got so sick of mine and didnt want to buy a block off plate so I cramped the air intake tube shut and welded it closed and disconnected the plug.

now I just set the idle with the throttle body screw and never had a problem with it again

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
johnathan1;1491576 said:
Only if you have NFI what you are doing. Which is why you have a 1J, I'm assuming.

I have a 1J so that I can find humor in the fact that someone such as yourself would come into Other Engine Tech and proceed to speak ill of JZ series motors (specifically the 1J).. I'm sure you do not, but I am fairly certain others would see the obvious contradiction there.

the OP is just trying to figure things out.. it has nothing to do with a 7m vs. JZ debate.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Johnathan, if you're not trying to help the OP, your comments aren't needed here. Go start a thread bashing 1jz's if you want too, but don't do it here. You will be infracted next time.