1jz gone... what to do???

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
well heres how it all started i was coming home one day from a friends house and then i see the audi tt coming up behind me and pulls up beside me and revs up... so i was like ok.. im only pushing 14 psi but i ran him any way. well i pulled on him when i down shifted to 3 and then all of a sudden something pops in the engine bay and it starts to bog down, i checked for a CEL but none... so then he comes zooming past me and i drove home with it bogging on me... come to find out my coil cracked in half (i'll post the pic up when i can get a camera) so since driving home from my friends house with it bogging on me for a while i burned up the pistons and piston rings on the car... now im debating on weather to go 1.5jz or just go 2jz... just want to know how the 1j head reacts to the 2j block or how much better or worse a 2jz swap is, and whats you guys look on it... thanks

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i wouldve initially thought you blew off an IC coupler.
i would say if you want to do 2j now is the time, i dont know much about the 1.5 jz swaps but that might be a good option as well if someone chimes in.

Last edited:

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
^^^ that happened to me once but I was able to pull over pretty quick and fix it.

Damn that sucks that your 1J grenaded. Didn't you just finish this swap not too long ago? I guess if you wanted to go 1.5j that would be an excuse or you can always swap another 1j block fairly inexpensive.

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
tlo86;975058 said:
i wouldve initially thought you blew off an IC coupler.
i would say if you want to do 2j now is the time, i dont know much about the 1.5 jz swaps but that might be a good option as well if someone chimes in.

lol yea i know i thought that too. that i pop a coupler but naw... thankis for the info too...

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
tissimo;975081 said:
why do you think it killed the pistons?

well i was driving it home from my friends house which was a pretty long drive at night... and i also noticed it was missfiring along with the bogging... but im not really sure i have to tear it apart to see first... i mean i dont even want to attempt to start it up now after i found out the coil pack cracked in half...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
AZN MK3;975314 said:
well i was driving it home from my friends house which was a pretty long drive at night... and i also noticed it was missfiring along with the bogging... but im not really sure i have to tear it apart to see first... i mean i dont even want to attempt to start it up now after i found out the coil pack cracked in half...

oh so you dont really know it is bad you just assumed b/c of smoke etc? how bad is the crack repairable?

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
OneJSupra;975085 said:
^^^ that happened to me once but I was able to pull over pretty quick and fix it.

Damn that sucks that your 1J grenaded. Didn't you just finish this swap not too long ago? I guess if you wanted to go 1.5j that would be an excuse or you can always swap another 1j block fairly inexpensive.

yea i know and yes i just got it on the road... i know i read something on here about fixing the cracks and i did that to an old set i had (these are my second set of coilpacks btw) and it did fine until they cracked really bad where the metal spring just burned off... but thanks for the advise... i'll see what else to do...

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
tlo86;975318 said:
oh so you dont really know it is bad you just assumed b/c of smoke etc? how bad is the crack repairable?

NO... i didnt assume i checked to see what was wrong and all from the ecu to the map sensor to couplers popping to turbos, and then i checked my plugs and coils and there you go i got a coil pack that cracked IN HALF so obviously its not repairable... and it sucks but i'll post the pics up soon...

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i don't see how a cracked coil pack could cause you to melt pistons. if anything it would cause no spark and just be running filthy rich.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
The Reaper;975354 said:
i don't see how a cracked coil pack could cause you to melt pistons. if anything it would cause no spark and just be running filthy rich.

kind of what i was getting at, get a pic of the coil sometimes you can repair them but if it was in half... :cry:

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
I'll have to agree with some of the other guys. How do you know you melted some pistons. The pooping comes from the coils discharging against everything that is metal being that a coil is a closed unit.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i hate when my car makes 'pooping' noises HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry couldn't resist. i spit my soda everywhere

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
Get a new coil pack, the same symptoms your describing happen when plugs wires hop of the plugs. Does this make since. But as others suggest, compression test it as well.

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
ok i've done a compression test and all of the cylinders come out to be at 180psi's except for the 5th one... its like 4psi's lower so that should be fine right??? as far as the coils anybody selling a set or if not is there a way i could wire up the 7mgte coil pack on the 1j? if so could anybody give me a diagram of how to wire it up??