1jz experts, exhaust valve stem leak

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
Picked up a 1jz a while back and i'm in the process of refurbing it. Standard things such as water pump, main seals, timing components, etc. I pulled a rod and main cap and inspected the bearings, which looked good. I removed the turbo today and immediately noticed the 6th and 5th cylinder exhaust port having a wet oily sheen. My question is could a leaky valve stem seal (haven't ever experience leaky valve stem seals) contribute to this? Could it be a leaky turbo (i think highly unlikely to cause an oily exhaust port) or perhaps worn rings. The rest of the cylinders do not exhibit this look.

Thanks.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
I don't think it would be turbo related as it would be more than 2 cylinders. I would do a compression test to rule out the worn rings and if that passes than more than likely it's valve stem seals. How many miles are on the motor? If you do end up doing the stem seals you can see if people on the forum would let you borrow the tools (That's exactly what I did and it worked out great), if you aren't planning on spending the money on big cams you could always consider doing the 2JZ cam swap which is also what I ended up doing.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
I would think it would not be wet. It's might been from shipping. If it was seals and it was wet. I would think it would been smoking so bad you would be rolling coal.

It would burn up and be dry if it was leaking while running that's my thought anyway. But if it's open you should replace them anyway

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
I don't know the compression numbers yet, which will give me a good clue to what the problem is. The plugs however, look good and it does not seem like the engine was burning oil. I did tip the engine upside down to replace the pan (rear sump to front sump). I really would not like to do a full rebuild as funds are tight.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its prolly from shipping. usually the turbo will have oil in them and oil get into other places.

Can do valve stem seals just to be safe.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
hvyman;2007337 said:
Its prolly from shipping. usually the turbo will have oil in them and oil get into other places.

Can do valve stem seals just to be safe.

To be honest I would just go ahead and do them while the motor is out... your back will thank you later and it'll take such much less time.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
remember these are used engines so its like buying one out of our junk yards... im doing a full rebuild once mine comes in not dickin around with it ;P

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
i bought it off craigslist. Idiot before me didn't put coolant and everything is rusted. pulled the head off and immediately the coolant passage ways between he head and block were blocked off with rust. Head is overall in good shape, valve seals were iffy. Pulling it off and doing a valve job. Cylinder bores look decent. Better safe than sorry.

lucass

Apr 5, 2014
prince george
engines from japan generally have rusty coolant passages, I don't know it its just shitty over there or what. But it probably wasn't from the guy before you... unless he told you he just ran water that is haha. Do a leak down on the engine, it will tell you what you need to know about the valve seats and rings, but your problem is probably the guide seals.

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
IMG_0044.jpg

So this is number #5 cylinder. I'm disappointed to say that there are small downward nicks on the cylinder bore that catch my finger nail. This is probably the cause of the oily turbo. I caught this as the person working on my cylinder head said that there were nicks on #5 cylinder combustion chamber. So what to do?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
lucass;2008581 said:
engines from japan generally have rusty coolant passages, I don't know it its just shitty over there or what. But it probably wasn't from the guy before you... unless he told you he just ran water that is haha. Do a leak down on the engine, it will tell you what you need to know about the valve seats and rings, but your problem is probably the guide seals.

It's because there's water in the cooling system. It's then drain and shipped over seas in a boat in salt water.

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
I probably going to pull the piston out and see if I have a broken piston ring. This is turning out to be a lot more work then I had anticipated. I guess you never know what you get with a used engine.