1jz engine swap

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
i'm planning to do a 7mge to 1jz swap in the future, probably sometime next year? or so. but i'm looking to see how hard it is to do an engine swap and how much work/time is gonna be required, cuz if its gonna be too long then imma jsut have a shop work on it but if it can be done by myself, i'd rather do it cuz its just hella mroe fun hahah anyone know where i can find a good 1jz frontcut?

GrandLordKhorne

Evil Turbo Penguin...
Jan 3, 2006
South MA, almost RI
I’m going to say do a search on how long, it has been discussed repeatedly if I’m not mistaken.

Having said that, I have seen swaps and done them my self in the cores of a weekend or less. I have also seen swaps drag out for months and years. It depends on your mechanical inclination and your drive more than anything. But, it’s not really that hard or over complex.

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
hey yea umm i need help on da 1jz engine swap... i need to knw if i need to buy motor mounts jus to put a 1jz engine on a 87 supra or does it bolt ryt on to it and also im bout to do a tranny swap frm auto to manual and i also need to knw if i need a mount for dat too or no??? plz help!!!!

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
you'll need new engine mounts. go for the bic performance ones. i heard good things about them. and the only thing with going auto to manual is that you need to cut the frame where the shifter goes so it doesnt rattle. Not sure how much to cut it, i bought my car as a manual. and i dont think there is a need for a new tranny mount. and if you have an N/A (w58) right now, i'd go for the turbo tranny (r154) which i think needs a new driveshaft for it. goodluck with the swap, im doin a 7mge to gte swap next weekend cuz my motor blew 2 nights ago.

AZN MK3

Feb 12, 2006
Now in the U.S.
so i HAVE to CUT da fame well i shouldnt b hard ryt... well i dont haver to do I... cuz im lyk really lookin for lyk refabricating anything u knw... and spendin alot of money on dat..... so is it nessesary... also will da r154 tranny jus bolts on to my 1jz engine wit no problem..????

Last edited:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
AZN MK3 said:
so i HAVE to CUT da fame well i shouldnt b hard ryt... well i dont haver to do I... cuz im lyk really lookin for lyk refabricating anything u knw... and spendin alot of money on dat..... so is it nessesary... also will da r154 tranny jus bolts on to my 1jz engine wit no problem..????

What? Do you mind cutting that crap out?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Come on Rakkasan, lyk when you were like 19 you like talked like this................NOT!...........j.k. Rakkasan..lol

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
AZN MK3 said:

yeeesh, proper english, perhaps, you'll sound more respectable and mature on the internet, the knowledable people of this board will be far more likely to help you out.

for mounts youll want BIC pre-89 square motor mounts for the 1jz, no cutting needed. youll need the bellhousing like people have said, your 7m clutch will work but you need a 1jz flywheel.

please dont type in that insanely annoying manner. thanks

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Figure $4k+ and a minimum of 2 weeks if you've never done a swap. You may have the motor in in a day, but it's the wiring, hoses, and all that jazz that will slow you down. With a front clip, mounts, a pre-lengthened harness, an open parts store down the block, competent help, all the right tools, and some spelling/grammar skillz, you could have it done in a weekend ;)