1jz bottom end

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Think of a 2JZ bottom end, then think of it being stronger due to reduced rod length.

There are several people making upwards of 700whp on stock bottom ends, just not necessarily on this forum.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
annoyingrob;1112746 said:
Think of a 2JZ bottom end, then think of it being stronger due to reduced rod length.

There are several people making upwards of 700whp on stock bottom ends, just not necessarily on this forum.

Ok i wasn't sure, I'm supposed to be picking one up in the next week or so and i have a turbo in mind for it but didn't know how strong the bottom end was. But thank you :]

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
10secdream;1112898 said:
I guess my only advice is if you are looking to put down that kind of HP make sure to check bearing clearances.

I've got a set of cams and a turbo set up in mind that would make plenty of power. I just wanted to make sure i wouldn't pop the bottom end

DefiantWs6

Aug 17, 2008
south carolina
what do you mean by bearing clearence? sorry for my ignorance but I'm new to these motors im used to pushrod engines, is it similar to piston to valve clearence or completely different? What can you do about any issues should they come up?

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
DefiantWs6;1113418 said:
what do you mean by bearing clearence? sorry for my ignorance but I'm new to these motors im used to pushrod engines, is it similar to piston to valve clearence or completely different? What can you do about any issues should they come up?
He means to check and make sure that the crankshaft, and connecting rod bearings are still within spec. If they are worn heavily then it will cause more vibration and somewhat an elliptical motion on the crank, which will stress the crank, bearings and rods to the point of breaking.

If i were you before building up the top end, invest in some new bearings and get the crank turned just as a preventative maintenance measure.

DefiantWs6

Aug 17, 2008
south carolina
appreciate it, figured thats what you meant but I'd never heard it put that way, everytime ive been into a motor in any serious manner Ive upgraded the rod bolts and replaced the bearings, correct me if I'm wrong but this would benefit the same would it not? I appreciate the patience and the info

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Well the plan was to put rod bolts in it and replace the bearings when the engine gets put in the car

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
ARP rod bolts and new bearings should do the trick just fine! I would still take a look at the crank and see what sort of condition it is in. If it was me and I would just put a 2JZ bottom end if you are going for big power.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
10secdream;1113757 said:
ARP rod bolts and new bearings should do the trick just fine! I would still take a look at the crank and see what sort of condition it is in. If it was me and I would just put a 2JZ bottom end if you are going for big power.

honestly thats the plan eventually