1JZ Auto Trans wiring question

prjct_318i

Apr 12, 2011
Thornton, CO
I am half way through my project and have run into trouble on wiring. I have a JZX90 chaser engine assembly with wiring and ECU (Engine is front sump, hydro fan, auto ecu, trac control). I am keeping the auto trans for a while and I am swapping this into a BMW... so this is a stand alone wiring setup.

I actually found JZX90 wiring diagrams and a pin out that matches mine. I have all the wires traced out and I am stumped on a few wires:

1) There is a 3 pin connector at the tailshaft of the transmission. I presume this is a speed sensor. A red/black wire is shared by the shifter connector (power or ground?). There is a black/white wire. There is a yellow wire. Does this go into my SP1 on the ECU to control the transmission? I keep reading that the rear speed sensor goes to the dash, then to the ecu... I don't have the Toyota dash.

2) What is the "P" pin for? One pinout shows it's for the pattern select switch?

3) what is the "L" pin for? One pinout shows its for the A/T indicator switch?

4) Do I need to wire the up the individual pattern select switches or are these just for dash indicators?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
The speed sensor shares power with the pattern select plug of the tranny so that's the one wire. it normally gets 12v from the gauge fuse tied to key pos 2. The other two go to the toyota cluster then it generates sp1. It's not really needed though. It's mainly for speed cut. The tranny has it's own speed sensor for controlling the solenoids so if you want just don't hook up the rear speed sensor.

Those pattern selects go to the dash and the ecu. The dash isnt necessary but the ecu end is. iirc on jzx90 then go from the tranny to a sub connector under the dash then back out of the body harness to the ecu. Of course you could leave off P and L but you wouldn't get 1st gear. Without inputs it assumes "D"

Is this going in an e36? I've done a couple and they are fun :)

prjct_318i

Apr 12, 2011
Thornton, CO
aphxero, thanks for the reply.

Rear Speed Sensor:
Red w/ Black wire going to 12v fused (shared w/ shifter).
Yellow wire - tie off for now.
Black w/ white wire - tie off for now.

Are the P and L wires the shift position you are talking about?

This is getting jammed into an e30... mighty tight in there!

prjct_318i

Apr 12, 2011
Thornton, CO
So I have the "STA" and "NSW" hooked up to the shifter already as they did not run into the body harness. The wiring diagrams I am using do not directly show which pins the "P", "S" and "L" hook to on the ECU.

I edited the list:
"S" pin connects to? (?)
"L" pin connects to? (I assume Low?)
"P" pin connects to? (I assume Park?)

Last edited:

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Actually I just went back and checked my jzx90 books and it doesn't use the pattern select at all. Sorry I've been doing too many aristo swaps lately. Been a couple of years since I did an AT jzx90 my bad :(

Here's the goods on those pins. L and S are for the neutral start switch (you don't need it), p puts the tranny in "ECTS power" mode when it gets 12v .The rest on those two ecu plugs are for trac and cruise. Make sure you hook stp (stop light) up though.

Again sorry for the mix up.

prjct_318i

Apr 12, 2011
Thornton, CO
"L" pin - leave unconnected
"S" pin - leave unconnected

"P" pin - hook up to 12v fused. "ECTS" is higher redline shifting if I am not mistaken? Bad for fuel economy, good for power...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"STP" goes to what? 12v or ground?
I have the "ELS" pin unconnected... ok or ground it?

-----------------------------------------------------------
"OD1" and "OD2" connect to what? One diagram I have shows hooking "OD2" to 12v turns overdrive on, grounding it turns overdrive off.

-----------------------------------------
There are 6 pins for the traction control module. I have left them all unconnected. ok?

I think that's the last of my questions. Thanks again for all the help!

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Stp is 12v from the brake lights to go into stop mode/kick up the idle. els1 is a voltage input just to kick up idle for defog and stuff. You can use it for whatever. I use it for e fan sometimes.

od1 is for cruise. od2 is ground off and open circuit means od is on.

And yes on the trac stuff. ecu doesnt care.

prjct_318i

Apr 12, 2011
Thornton, CO
Thanks for all the help. I got all the wiring traced and sorted last night.

I have one last question, then I'll quit asking. There is a 2 pin connector next to the igniter. It has a black/yellow which I traced to +12v. There is also a brown wire. What does the brown wire go to? ground? Also, what is this small gray potted box it plugs into?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yeah its chassis ground. This is an ignition dampener to keep emi out of the IGT signals.

And btw, I went back and checked my diagrams against an actual x90 harness I have here. It turns out it does have the 2 inputs (like I had originally said. Shouldve went with my gut). L is from L on the pattern select. S is from 2 on the pattern select. No idea why my diagrams said neutral switch. Anyhow there ya have it :)

Last edited:

inline6fan

need some six-ness
Jun 5, 2007
Maine
ECU side JZX90 Chaser Harness

Grey Plug wire colors:

-Red/Black
-Red/Blue
-Yellow/Black
-Yellow/Red
-Yellow/Blue
-Yellow
-Green
-Green/White
-Green/yellow
-White
-White/Blue

White plug is A340 Plug!
-Green/White = "P"
-Green/Yellow = "D"
-Green = "2"
-Yellow/Green = "L"
-Green/Red
-Yellow/Blue
-Yellow/Red
-Yellow
-Black/White
-Black
-Red/Black
-Red/White
309828_10150753503780316_848165315_19904074_8023877_n.jpg

Pattern Select switch
Wire colors are:
Red/Black
Red/Blue
Yellow/Green =L
Green/Red
Green/White =P
Green/Yellow =D
Green =2
Black/White
Black
319640_10150753503550316_848165315_19904068_2251961_n.jpg

Speed Sensor
Wire colors are:
Yellow
Black/White
Red/Black
299900_10150753504040316_848165315_19904079_2715323_n.jpg

S1,S2,S3 Solenoids
Wire colors are:
Red
Red/Blue
Yellow/Black
320009_10150753504255316_848165315_19904083_1413255_n.jpg

I assume the White plug controls the transmission, and the Grey plug shows dash info?

Is it the rear speed sensor with three wires that goes to the ECU, or the front one?

There is a front sensor on my Trans but it only has two wires.

I thought the speed sensor had:

-12v+
-Ground
-Signal

Am I on the right track?

inline6fan

need some six-ness
Jun 5, 2007
Maine
Can I get a pinout on JZX90 IH1 and IH2 connector I have pictured up top?

If I can get these wires decoded, I can wire to the dash, and finally to the ECU so this friggin thing will shift!

I have JZZ30, Us, and JDM, and I have a ton of JZA70, but no JZX90 stuff.