1jz as daily driver?

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
How would a 1jz swapped mk3 do as a daily driver? assuming the car and motor are in good shape beforehand? Are they hard to get parts for like everyone says? I cant imagine what motor parts you would need at a moments notices besides an acc. belt or oil filter or something. And i hear they do low 20s average MPG...is that about right(stock mk3 w/ r154)? And I dont mean as a DD car like commuting 100 miles to work every day or delivering pizza, but just a reliable car you can drive to work and still take out on the weekends and have some fun. I Would just get an NA but they are so underpowered!

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Isphius;961833 said:
How would a 1jz swapped mk3 do as a daily driver?

What do you mean?

It's more reliable then the 7m will ever dream to be. Slap in the 1JZ, and drive it 100mi a day til it gets to be about 200k on the clock.. then single turbo it to 800whp for another few years. By the time you wear it out gas will be $10 a gallon.

The only way to kill a 1JZGTE is with stupidity or being cheap. If it calls for repair, maintance, or something.. do not put it off, and do not buy generic, and do not drive it broken in any way shape or form and cry when it breaks more. That goes for any car, but this motor will be the first to kick you in the nuts when you ignore it.

To give you an idea...

I've been driving mine single turbo for 1.5 years. It's a weekend car now, but was daily for a year of that 1.5. In the 1.5 years it's been on the road after I singled it in my garage I've changed the oil a few times and put a new set of plugs in just because. My power steering pump is getting noisy, but what jz pump isnt.

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
i daily drove my 1jz for a year untill i spun a bearing it worked fine for a dd just stay out of boost as much as possible now im daily driving a 1.5jz hks 272s built head and t78 still works fine.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
mattsmall;961861 said:
i daily drove my 1jz for a year untill i spun a bearing it worked fine for a dd just stay out of boost as much as possible now im daily driving a 1.5jz hks 272s built head and t78 still works fine.

Why stay out of boost? No issues here. My engine has been on the road for 2+ years now.. 20psi on stock twins, and 1 bar on single (street tune). The car hits 8k rpm all the time.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
My ex drove my 90 1jz mk3 35 miles each way to work for 2 years and the only thing I ever needed to do to it was replace the original jdm radiator cap. Now it's in Arizona and being daily driven still with no issues.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
My wife drove my other 93 1jz SC300 daily 90mi a day to work and back in stop and go traffic for 6 months. She said the only thing that would break is the hearts of honda drivers as she smoked em.

We sold it for a E36 convertible. That thing was a unreliable POS. Nothing major ever went wrong with it, but it nickel and dimed you to death.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
annoyingrob;962227 said:
I DD my GT40-88 1.5JZ.

It's not the best on gas, but it puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

hehe know that exact feeling

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
i bought a 92 corolla for a beater and regret it so much. my 1jz gets better gas mileage and is quieter (engine wise)...except of course when you go wot then everything changes. average 27mpg normal highway driving w/ small city drive. 30mpg all highway.

i've never had a mechanical issue that i can think of.