1jz Aftermarket Timing Belt Idlers??

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I need to change my timing belt asap, and cannot find the 1jz Timing Belt Idler: p/n 13505-46020.

I got the timing belt, cam seals, and tensioner from Jeff at Champion Toyota, (which I highly recommend doing!! GREAT prices) but he can't get me an idler, or at least not in the next few months.

Has anyone used a different idler? I haven't seen that the 1jz/2jz's are the same, but I could be wrong.

Or has anyone had the bearing replaced in theirs?

thanks

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i haven't changed just the bearing in a 1j/2j idler(which are identical),but have in other motor's.i don't think to many people get new one's.i however got myself a billet tensioner to replace the factory piece that has been said to break at higher hp level's

p879998_1.jpg

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
tsuper92;879998 said:
i haven't changed just the bearing in a 1j/2j idler(which are identical),but have in other motor's.i don't think to many people get new one's.i however got myself a billet tensioner to replace the factory piece that has been said to break at higher hp level's

p880015_1.jpg

were to find and how much for the billet pice!

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
sound performance made up a run of these for a group buy.you can find them every now and then if the mkIV for sale section.you'll be shocked when you compare the two.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
tsuper92;879998 said:

So the 1j and 2j idler's are identical?? I did not know that..Thanks for the info, that billet piece looks sweet!

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
soapra;880562 said:
No they are not the same. The part that the timing belt rolls on is the same, but the arm is not!
thanks for pointing that out jose.i was assuming he was just going to replace the roller and not the aluminum part.
what do you think the reason behind the slight difference in the aluminum part is,got any theory's.i never compared the 1j and 2j grenade side by side.the oil pump housing's appear to mount the tensoiner in the same exact location.what do you think,one give more tension on the timming belt?i've heard many people use the 2j timming belt on a 1.5 conversion and never heard them say use a 2j tensioner.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Here is a picture of the timing belt tensioner arm and roller. The Top one is 2jz and the lower one is 1jz. I set the rollers together and the middle together to show the difference in the arms.

p882348_1.jpg

1.5 jz's use the 2jz tesion arm and the grenade looking part is the same in all JZ engines. The arm sets the amount of tension to the timing belt. If you use the 2jz arm on a 1jz, it will stretch the timing belt.

I will make 1jz iddler arms for us 1jz guys and will try to make a 2jz one at a better price. I will talk to my machinist on monday about making some.

Here is a picture of the back.

p882348_2.jpg

RWHP

Going for 1JZ
Jan 14, 2008
Ostersund
So if i get this right i can use a new 1JZ or 2JZ timing belt roll and only the 1JZ tensioner arm because the 2JZ arent the same?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
RWHP;921801 said:
So if i get this right i can use a new 1JZ or 2JZ timing belt roll and only the 1JZ tensioner arm because the 2JZ arent the same?

Correct. I bought a 2JZ idler pulley from Champion Toyota, that came with the 2JZ tensioner arm, and just swapped the pulley's to keep the original length arm, because the arms ARE different, and the pulley's are the same.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
RWHP;989592 said:
Hi again guys, is the 1jz and 2jz timing belt tensioner the same?

I am almost positive that the tensioners are the same, I would call Jeff Whatson at Champion Toyota, they are around $50 I believe. 1 800 327 2087.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
The 1JZ & 2JZ idlers are diffrent! I know this for fact because I snapped the idler on my 1JZ in half!
I ordered the 2JZ one the only way to get a 2JZ idler to work is by grinding it down a little and then it will work fine.
There is an adjustment screw on the outside bottom of your motor if you grind a little bit to much off you can still adjust it.

but with the 2JZ idler in your car it pushes on the belt to hard.
It will not fit with out some minor modification.

Just set the 2 side by side and you will see how the 2JZ one sets taller and further into the engine.

Its verry easy to compair the two and figure out what little you need to grind so that the stance is the same. After this modification it works perfect and with no flaw!

Last edited:

RWHP

Going for 1JZ
Jan 14, 2008
Ostersund
The tensioner arm are diffrent i know, look on the first page. 2JZ are longer, but the idler wheel are the same size and sould fit. But what i wonder was the timing belt tensioner, but know i have order it so i will see if it fits :)