1J Upgrade Q's

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I've been reading everything I can on this forum, all of the sticks, the FAQ's and how-to's and I'm not finding the information that I need.

So, I see a lot of people doing 1J swaps but I don't see anyone talking about their upgrades, what they did first or what are the best things to upgrade once you have your stock 1J running in your vehicle...nothing like that.

Is there a thread that I'm just not seeing with "common basic 1J mods". I know the first thing I would do to a stock 7M but no clue on what I should do first to my "damn near" bone stock 1J. If anyone has information what should be addressed first when upgrading that would be awesome.

Oh and most of the links in those threads, like for the TSRM and other thinks similar to that are no longer good links.

I hope that some seasoned 1J owner(s) can hook me up with some awesome info so I can start modding her a little bit. Thanks guys!

Kleigh

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Intake exhaust and raise the boost below fuel cut. Basically all you can do. You can mess around with a safc or go standalone and get some gains. But nothing too high and the twins will fail at some point.

Once the twins go out. Single turbo. Fuel system. Stand alone.

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I'm pretty sure that I'm hitting FCO already with what is done to my car. I have a cat back and an air filter....those are mods that I can physically see. Would a vacuum leak cause me to hit FCO? Would I be able to buy a boost controller to regulate the stock boost to keep it below FCO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motorider9911

May 23, 2014
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
A weak point of these motors are the compressor wheels in the turbos. Agreed making the engine breath better, by adding intake system, bigger inter-cooler, and pipes, and a turbo back exhaust will make a large difference. Besides the basics, as said above a single turbo set up is the way to go. Another way to add great power is some 264 cams, they do not require upgraded valve springs.

Bo0sTADiKT

HGHSBT7M
Apr 1, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
rhs;2042543 said:
Just go single turbo before putting the engine in. Will save a lot of headache later.

I wish my motor was out of my car, I have a JZA70 not a swapped MA70. But you have to go standalone ECU before sticking a big single in there right? I I've also seen some people going APEXi NEO instead of going full $tandalone. Anyone here using the NEO?

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Bo0sTADiKT;2042574 said:
I wish my motor was out of my car, I have a JZA70 not a swapped MA70. But you have to go standalone ECU before sticking a big single in there right? I I've also seen some people going APEXi NEO instead of going full $tandalone. Anyone here using the NEO?

I'm running stock ECU and injectors with my HX35. My wastegate is 13psi and I don't have my AFR gauge installed yet though so I don't push it is too hard.

The stock clutch also slips in 3rd and 4th so I can't get on it too much anyway.