1J swap Tach not working

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
i replied to your thread about this on Supraforums... basically you need a Turbo guage cluster for the tach to work with the 1j

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I'm having the same problem here. I swap my 1j from a 90 n/a in which the tach worked into a 89 turbo. the tach on the turbo worked before the swap also, but after the swap it doesn't work. I have to double check the wiring. What wiring diagram did you use?

S.A. supra;1611253 said:
I'm having the same problem here. I swap my 1j from a 90 n/a in which the tach worked into a 89 turbo. the tach on the turbo worked before the swap also, but after the swap it doesn't work. I have to double check the wiring. What wiring diagram did you use?

I used the diagram from the 1jz swap bible avail from sf, it said wire in the black wire from th jza harness to the black wire on the m1 connector on the ma70 harness, I forget the pin numbers , cause iam at work at the moment

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
87supraguy;1611225 said:
i replied to your thread about this on Supraforums... basically you need a Turbo guage cluster for the tach to work with the 1j

please dont post false information. you dont need a turbo gauge cluster for the 1j tach to work. any cluster from any year mk3 will work..make sure ur getting a tach signal from your harness

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
i think the tach wire is the black and red wire in one of the ignitor plugs, your oil pressure will not work unless you get the adaptor from driftmotion to use the stock sensor.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jzoilpressuresenderadapterhose.php

buy that, unscrew the stock 1jz oil pressure sensor from behind the AC compressor, screw one end of the adaptor from driftmotion where the stock 1jz sensor used to be. then screw the stock 7m oil sensor to the other end of the adaptor. after that you have to splice the oil pressure sensor wire, and wrap it around the stock 7m oil pressure sensor. forgot which wire exactly, but after that it should work..

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
1wickedA70;1611536 said:
i think the tach wire is the black and red wire in one of the ignitor plugs, your oil pressure will not work unless you get the adaptor from driftmotion to use the stock sensor.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jzoilpressuresenderadapterhose.php

buy that, unscrew the stock 1jz oil pressure sensor from behind the AC compressor, screw one end of the adaptor from driftmotion where the stock 1jz sensor used to be. then screw the stock 7m oil sensor to the other end of the adaptor. after that you have to splice the oil pressure sensor wire, and wrap it around the stock 7m oil pressure sensor. forgot which wire exactly, but after that it should work..

Sweet thanks for the info.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
My NA cluster didn't work so I needed the turbo cluster from my swap car on the failed 7MGTE swap (cracked block). I also took the old boost guage out and installed my batt indicator from the NA cluster and wired it in.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
i wouldn't consider it false information, it was information i recieved that worked for a few others all they did was switch their n/a cluster for a turbo cluster and their tach worked again... i asked for this information because i'm going through the same is issue only difference is my car originally was N/A... this is the route i'm going, instead of doing extra wiring work or resistor work... either way my suggestion isn't helping you... sorry about buddy

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
mine worked when I first got my car, but then it stopped.. I checked the wiring and tried a few other tachs (even a 1GGTE tach), and none of them worked. I've since taken it out completely and gone aftermarket.

luckyMK3

Aug 29, 2010
Glendale, AZ
I am having the exact same problem as you "A32Boost", I know my wiring is correct. I hook up my multimeter to the tach signal and set it to ohms I can then see that I am getting something from the tach signal. On my multimeter I see a small graft climb up and back down with the RPM's of the engine, so I know I am getting a signal from the ignitor. My car was an original N/A so I change out the resistors on the back of the tack according to this web site http://www.autosoftsys.com/supra/tachcompare/ No luck though it did not work, so then I bought a tach from a left hand drive JZA70 thinking this would fix my problem........no luck, it did not work. I must be doing something wrong, all though when I hooked up a apexi neo to my stock ecu the tach on that display works perfectly. So maybe I can use the same signal that the apexi piggyback is using to get my tach to work. I will give this a shot and let you know my findings. This is driving me crazy :aigo: I have been driving my 1jz supra for over year now with no tach. Please advise.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
luckyMK3;1613180 said:
I am having the exact same problem as you "A32Boost", I know my wiring is correct. I hook up my multimeter to the tach signal and set it to ohms I can then see that I am getting something from the tach signal. On my multimeter I see a small graft climb up and back down with the RPM's of the engine, so I know I am getting a signal from the ignitor. My car was an original N/A so I change out the resistors on the back of the tack according to this web site http://www.autosoftsys.com/supra/tachcompare/ No luck though it did not work, so then I bought a tach from a left hand drive JZA70 thinking this would fix my problem........no luck, it did not work. I must be doing something wrong, all though when I hooked up a apexi neo to my stock ecu the tach on that display works perfectly. So maybe I can use the same signal that the apexi piggyback is using to get my tach to work. I will give this a shot and let you know my findings. This is driving me crazy :aigo: I have been driving my 1jz supra for over year now with no tach. Please advise.

your symptoms are the same ones I had.. the stock tach will not operate from the same signal the AFC uses, I tried to no avail and eventually went aftermarket.

the aftermarket tach uses the same signal as the AFC though..