1j oil pressure help!!

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Hey all,

so as the title says, I'm having oil pressure problems on my 1j. On the highway at 3-4k rpm the oil pressure wouldn't go above 20psi on the stock gauge. Never had a problem in my old shell. So i stopped driving it. I got an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and sending unit. Installed it and started it up. On cold start it read 38psi. So I calmed down I let it warm up. Slowly revved it to 2500 rpm and held it there. It seemed ok so I bumped it to 4000 rpm and held it. It all seemed fine so o let it rest and idle. Went down to 14 psi. Then dropped to 10 psi (at idle) so I was too worried. Then I let it idle for a bit longer was about to turn it off, when I looked at the gauge there was barely any oil pressure.(like 1-2 psi) The car was in the air so I checked for noises but nothing. So I turned it off. Then I thought the motor was sitting for a while so a friend and I thought maybe an oil change might help. Next day did an oil change, on cold start barely 20 psi. Revved it to see if it would go higher but wouldn't go above 20 psi.

Does anyone have anyother ideas before I go pulling th motor to change the oil pump and bearings? Cause I'm out of ideas especially since oil pressure problems are rare with 1jz's. Thanks in advance!:1zhelp:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Get some readings from a high quality, mechanical test gauge. Before you make any repairs.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^ You mean oil pressure gauge. LOL.

Your bearing clearances could be larger from wear, The pop off spring on the pump could be bad or your pump is going out.

vangb2

Sep 14, 2009
minnesota
Be sure you get it checked with a different oil pressure gauge before making any major repair.

Also, rarely oil pump fails. Other reason could be that your oil contain sludge that blocked the oil pick-up screen or other vital components. Try flushing it with some oil flush, it will thin out your oil and may help knock out any sludge that may have built up.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Yea I put a different oil pressure gauge on it. It still read exactly the same as the stock gauge. I already started to take it all apart. This will give me the chance to do other things I've been wanting to do on the car ( painting the sbframe bearings and arp's and I know it has nothing to do with the engine being out, doing bushings all around. Maybe get some of the rust issues taken cars of.

Thanks everyone for your help.