1G-GTE Owners Unite! Experiences and Feedback, Please

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
I've noticed that we've got a few members on the forum here - some new, some not - that have the 1G-GTEU, and I've come across a few posts about it. I would probably be too late to jump into any of those discussions, so I thought a new one here might be helpful. I just copy/pasted my reply that I startd from a different post for here, hence the quotes. I also thought we 1G owners need a little more communication and collaberation. If you make it to the end of my novel here, feel free to add to this thread with your experiences and headaches with this motor!

Here's my ten cents.
(What? It's a long post, so it's worth more than 2 cents, I think:biglaugh:)

gaboonviper85;1357008 said:
1ggte is twin turbo isn't it? And I'm sad to say but 1g supras are really fucking rare...Personally I'd keep it just to be different! Just sucks cause parts are damn near impossible! 7m, 1j, 2j are all good motors and easier to work on that's for sure!

Yeah, it's TT, and yes parts are hard to find. But...(will elaborate in a minute)

steveo;1357013 said:
... The body is pretty good shape.. So maybe a 1J swap?

Definitely. When the motor goes, unless you have a real attachment to it, go JZ... (will elaborate)

2quickk;1357617 said:
...and i also have a 1ggte and i think the same way, unless it blows up or anything major happens to it im just gunna get me a 1JZ swap...but i have yet to drive it to see how it feels! im not expecting a lot of power so if you can please elaborate on how the car pulls...

The 1G is a great little motor. It sounds awesome at WOT, and pulls well, considering it's a 2.0L I6 and has to haul the lard-ass Supra around. It gets decent economy off the turbos, and I can still pass in fifth gear, without having to drop down. Mind you, I think my rear end is a 4.3, so that helps. Boost is fairly quick, 3000rpm or so, and I can still get sideways, with passengers. I'm enjoying the car, and this winter will be focusing on tying down the suspension and brakes. The valve seals are a little leaky, but so far the motor is still strong. I'll worry about motor work after the rest of my foundation is good. All the power in the world is no good if you can't put it down or slow it down.

It's like trying to do barrel rolls in a 747.

Look at it this way, it's roughly the same output as the NA 7M guys, but we at least have the option of turning up the boost a little, and playing with the ecu and someother gizmo. I'll find the link, and post it up for you. I've read about guys pulling another 30-40 hp with nothing more than a little time and a used boost controller. I've read higher than that, but it didn't look reliable.

steveo;1358494 said:
...The noise it is making is stated in the first post. It sounds like a semi from the inside of the car. Like it is sucking in a whole hell of a lot of air.

Mine does the same thing. I sound like a dump truck! It only happens when it's hot, both the motor, and ambient air temp outside (25degC+). I bag the shee-yit out of this motor on the backroads, and she loves boost and high-revs. My peak output is around 5800rpm (according to my butt-o-meter), but she'll still pull to 7800, and I've had it up to 8300rpm before I started to crap my pants:aigo:. I can pull these kinds of stunts in the morning, or late evening, and don't usually hear it. Thinking about it now, this noise - for me - is prevalent in traffic and around-town-speeds. Once I start to wind it out on the highway or backroads, it quiets down. And during this all, I can't really notice a drop in power (little as it is:sarcasm:)

I'm going somewhere with all this prattle... I haven't checked shaft play in my twins yet, but I honestly suspect that our dump-truck whining noises might be an exhaust leak somewhere.

Now, I promised an elaboration on parts and motor... Parts is a bitch. Spark plugs, and oil filters are the same at the 7M-GTE. If you search the ToyMods forum, you will find a thread titled "Toyota's Interchangeable Odditites". It's a list of - you guessed it - interchangeable parts from other Toyota motors that will work on the 1G. Many of them will require verification on your part if you ever need it, and depending on the work, you might just want a 1JZ...

1G - 210hp, 205 torques
1JZ - 287hp,

1G - parts are a bitch (Australia, or Japan, if you can read kanji)
1JZ - not nearly as much (some good vendors right on this very forum)

1G - 400hp is possible, for much money and time
1JZ - 400 hp is expected, for not much money and time, and for far less money than the 1G

1G - $1900 ish
1JZ - $2000 ish

1G - not much respect (from the Aussies anyways), but rare and neat lookin'
1JZ - common place and not rare anymore (but lots of tuner know-how and experience, now.)

Again, I love my little 2.0L, but want a JZ when the time comes. Honestly, parts availability is a big part of why the motor is hopefully coming out next winter. But... the 1G is sorta-common swap in the old-skool Celica's, or most Toyota's older and lighter than the Supra. Hell there's even a guy somewhere (or so Der Interwebz tell me) that put one in a Miata!

Look at the 1G like a summer fling with that spicy little teenager. It'll be fun for a while, and it'll be something different, but when the time comes to move on you'll appreciate a more mature girl in the long run.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
This really belongs in the Other Engine Tech section...thread moved.

BTW - the 747 does rolls quite well actually ;)

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
rwd;1382273 said:
1jz do not have 320 pound of torque , it's more like 260-270

I stand corrected a quick search tells me that I'm pulling numbers out of my ass. I don't remember where I got that number, but if i don't remember, and can't find it again to verify then I guess it doesn't count.

Whoops. (And thanks rwd)

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of downpipe I would have to get if I wanted one? Would a 1JZ downpipe work?