1989 Supra with Soarer 1J swap - no spark

ATS_Aaron

Mar 17, 2011
Denton, TX
Hi. New guy here. I bought a 1989 Supra with a 1JZ swap installed from a A/T Soarer. I have power at the ECU (CEL works), and it's pulsing the injectors (checked with a NOID light), I have a RPM signal at the ecu (I assume that comes from the crank position sensor). But I have NO SPARK.

I borrowed a friends Power FC for a Soarer to verify the problem wasn't my ECU and so that I could use my Data-logit box and look at the sensor outputs. Everything is within spec, and that's how I know I have an RPM signal at the ECU.

I grabbed a timing light and hooked it to the green loop coming off the ignitor to see if there was a spark signal there. There was not.

So, it looks like there is either a problem in the wiring between the ECU and the ignitor, or between the ignitor and the coils (all of them?)

I am new to Supras, but not to Toyotas. Does the ECU send SIX IGT signals to the ignitor and is there just one IGF signal back to the ECU? Or does the ECU send just one and the ignitor multiplexes it into six signals?

Where can I find a Soarer ECU pin out/wiring diagram? and Ignitor pin out/diagram?

thanks in advance,

Aaron

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

I searched (yeah me!) and managed to find the ignitor wiring and an ECU pin out. Now it's multimeter fun time in my future, haha.

Aaron

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
The ecu sends 6 signals with one IGF going back as you said. Did you check your ECU for codes?

Also, check to see if you have 12v at the coils with the ignition key on. Pin 2 on the smaller igniter plug should also be 12v with the key on.

Here's the igniter pinout:

qoaath.jpg

Don't have the soarer ECU pinout though.

EDIT: I see you already got the pinouts, took me too long to post i guess haha

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
The igniter needs to be grounded to the body. I mounted my igniter, then ran a ground from the batt. to the bracket just for a good ground. If doesn't have a good ground it will not run right.. may start and die, may not even start.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
*james*;1712909 said:
The igniter needs to be grounded to the body. I mounted my igniter, then ran a ground from the batt. to the bracket just for a good ground. If doesn't have a good ground it will not run right.. may start and die, may not even start.

No, it has a ground wire going to it already in the harness. If your igniter stops working when it loses physical ground your harness ground wire is probably broken.

Don't overlook a connector having bent or broken pins inside it. Not uncommon on imported JDM harnesses.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
destrux;1713648 said:
No, it has a ground wire going to it already in the harness. If your igniter stops working when it loses physical ground your harness ground wire is probably broken.

Don't overlook a connector having bent or broken pins inside it. Not uncommon on imported JDM harnesses.

Dude you're high. Don't listen to this guy.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
aphxero;1713975 said:
Dude you're high. Don't listen to this guy.

What?

Ok then... please explain what pin 4 in connector A is for (in the picture someone posted above). I must be pretty high if I'm seeing a ground wire that's not there. Maybe you're high?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Please post a video of your car running with the igniter hanging in mid air not touching anything.

So did this thing get solved or what?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
aphxero;1714818 said:
Please post a video of your car running with the igniter hanging in mid air not touching anything.

destrux is right, the igniter does not ground through the bracket. If you hung it in the air, the car would still start and run fine.
So stop spreading bad information. Thanks.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
orly? I've had many cars with perfect harnesses that do just that. Don't believe me go ahead and try it. If that's not good enough for you go read the MKIV service manual page IG-19.

Srsly guy who the hell has time to go on a forum spreading bad info? I mean who does that?

I'm just trying to help/

Last edited:

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
aphxero;1715261 said:
orly? I've had many cars with perfect harnesses that do just that. Don't believe me go ahead and try it. If that's not good enough for you go read the MKIV service manual page IG-19.

Srsly guy who the hell has time to go on a forum spreading bad info? I mean who does that?

I'm just trying to help/

It's possible the TSRM is referring to checking the ground of the gound pin, or it may be preferred that it's grounded to prevent a buildup of static charge on the body. I'm not sure, however I do know for sure both the 1jz and 2jz will run with the igniter not bolted up.

In fact, my igniter on my 2jz is sitting on top of my plastic fuse box right now and the car starts right up.

It seems that my experience has shown one thing to be true and yours another. I do know the 7m igniter does in fact ground through the bracket, so maybe that's the source of some confusion.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
That's totally crazy. Never seen that. Seems like yours might be kind of odd? I've done lots of jz/mkiv work over the years and I've never seen one running with the igniter just chillin. Then again I've noticed when cars won't run and bolt the sucker down and presto! Not saying it's impossible, just wrong/uncommon.

In the manual they say make sure the igniter is grounded to the chassis. The ground wire in the 4 pin goes to intake manifold which I guess you could call chassis. But you know toyota they write their terms/locations pretty well. They meant you should have it bolted down.

And this is definitely not some 7m confusion. I don't mess with those pieces of crap.

What the fuuuuuuu.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
:dunno:

My car ran with it sitting on a rag on top of the shock tower a few times before I made a bracket to bolt it down with (mine didn't come with the correct bracket). That was months ago though. I'm not going to go out and unbolt it and make a video just to prove myself right, I don't care that much, and I'm feeling lazy today.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Cool. Like I said I'm not saying it's impossible. Maybe toyota had two different ones with the same part number? Like they switched for a while? Check continuity of the ground pin to the igniter casing with it taken out of the car. There has to be an explaination why one person has never seen this and one has. If I get bored I'll make a video too :)

We've gotten past the original discussion by a lot but this is pretty interesting right?

GN_Convert

Nov 19, 2010
Florida
ATS_Aaron;1712753 said:
Hi. New guy here. I bought a 1989 Supra with a 1JZ swap installed from a A/T Soarer. I have power at the ECU (CEL works), and it's pulsing the injectors (checked with a NOID light), I have a RPM signal at the ecu (I assume that comes from the crank position sensor). But I have NO SPARK.

I borrowed a friends Power FC for a Soarer to verify the problem wasn't my ECU and so that I could use my Data-logit box and look at the sensor outputs. Everything is within spec, and that's how I know I have an RPM signal at the ECU.

I grabbed a timing light and hooked it to the green loop coming off the ignitor to see if there was a spark signal there. There was not.

So, it looks like there is either a problem in the wiring between the ECU and the ignitor, or between the ignitor and the coils (all of them?)

I am new to Supras, but not to Toyotas. Does the ECU send SIX IGT signals to the ignitor and is there just one IGF signal back to the ECU? Or does the ECU send just one and the ignitor multiplexes it into six signals?

Where can I find a Soarer ECU pin out/wiring diagram? and Ignitor pin out/diagram?

thanks in advance,

Aaron

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

I searched (yeah me!) and managed to find the ignitor wiring and an ECU pin out. Now it's multimeter fun time in my future, haha.

Aaron

Probably a dumb question, but are you getting any error codes? You can also check the continuity from the ECU to the ignitor and from the ignitor to the coil packs to make sure that is all good.