1988 Toyota Supra - Arm Assembly and Sub Assembly Solution? (Obsolete)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have to fix my suspension for an alignment. From what I am finding a lot of parts are obsolete. Any recommendations on what to get for these parts? (as in, aftermarket pieces or do I need to recondition what I have?)

2.0 x TOYOTA 48730-14010 ARM ASSY, REAR SUSPENSION, NO.2 (Lower Control Arm)
1.0 x TOYOTA 48720-14060 ARM ASSY, REAR SUSPENSION, NO.1 LH #
1.0 x TOYOTA 48068-14051 ARM SUB-ASSY F SUSPENSION LOWER NO.1 RH (Lower Control Arm)
1.0 x TOYOTA 48069-14051 ARM SUB-ASSY F SUSPENSION LOWER NO.1 LH (Lower Control Arm)

I think all except 2 of the bushings are still available OEM (I do want to try to stay OEM except for sway bars which I will either go Tanabe or White.. just haven't decided)

Always fun when your rebuilding a 27 year old car.. lol. (I just realised its 27 this year... )

I should point out that mine aren't bent or broken, they are just froze on the car (rust welds) and replacing the parts with new is more ideal for me then paying for someone to monkey around getting them off with minimal damage.

I may just have to recondition the parts that are on the car (powder coat them and get new bushings in there). That just adds to the cost.

... ahh to have time and be a real mechanic...

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
You should be able to plasma cut the bolts and then press new bushing ,if no plasma is available cut arms and use angle grinder etc - then get used and press new bushings ,or get some aftermarket fully adjustable that look cool BUT almost always come with heim joints thus more noise/vibration .

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah I want to stay away from hemi joints of possible. Throwing the car into the shop in about a week to see if we can cut out the old ones and put bushings in. I was surprised these were obsolete...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Cutting out the old frozen bolts and bushings is straightforward, I used an angle grinder with a thin (0.035") cutoff wheel. You can reuse the arms and just push in new bushings. Have the old arms sandblasted and powder coated if they have surface rust.