1986.5 No crank, no fuel

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Picked up a 1986.5 for really cheap last week, has been sitting for a while. It's rusty, and it's a real beater, but I'd like to try to drift it into a wall, if I can ever get it started.

First thing you should know is the ignition cylinder was seized, so the PO smashed it out with a hammer. The electrical ignition switch still seems to be in good condition, and the vehicle powers up normally when the switch is turned, but when turning to the Crank position, nothing happens, and the fuel pump doesn't run at any time. All of the fuses test good, but it looks like it had an aftermarket alarm system in it at one point, maybe even a remote start. There were wires and splices everywhere when I first got to it, most of it didn't go anywhere, and I was able to just pull it out, but there's obviously something I am missing here.

I'm attaching some photos of the stuff that I have questions about. I have no wiring diagrams or anything to go off of, so I'm at a loss for most stuff here. I'll be checking out the FSM here as soon as I can find a good link to it.

Right behind the accelerator pedal are these three open connectors, should there be something hooked up here? Should they be connected together in some way?
p2064475_1.jpg

p2064475_2.jpg

Found this lovely little hack-job right behind the ECM. The blue wire goes down the right side panel, and connects to what appears to be the other end of this wire that was cut.
p2064475_3.jpg

p2064475_4.jpg

However, there then appears to be another blue wire attached to this end, which goes up into the body harness, and I lose it past this point. Does anyone know what this Purple/Pink wire is meant to do? And why it would be feeding something else in the body harness?
p2064475_5.jpg

This Red with Black stripe wire comes out of the firewall padding through the hole at the speedometer cable. It doesn't lead to anything right now, should it? I'm assuming it was probably the power for the aftermarket security thing.
p2064475_6.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help!

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
That is very helpful, thank you.

3p141592654;2064555 said:
The fuel pump only runs if air is moving through the engine.

This is not something that I have ever heard of before... how does that system work??

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You be welcome. As the schematic shows the pump also runs during cranking because airflow through the AFM is low and may be insufficient to get things going. Once the engine fires and the key is released the AFM takes over.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Yes, it ended up being the AFM door thing, I didn't realize the pump would not activate without the door moving, and my intake boot was dry rotted, so cranking it over was not creating enough vacuum to pull the AFM door open, and engage the fuel pump.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Saavedro88;2072117 said:
Yes, it ended up being the AFM door thing, I didn't realize the pump would not activate without the door moving, and my intake boot was dry rotted, so cranking it over was not creating enough vacuum to pull the AFM door open, and engage the fuel pump.

I thought you said in the title it didn't crank?

The electrical ignition switch still seems to be in good condition, and the vehicle powers up normally when the switch is turned, but when turning to the Crank position, nothing happens,

At least you figured it out.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Oh, lol, sorry about that, got a little ahead of myself.

You're correct, it would not crank, so I bypassed the Security relay in the right side footwell, this allowed it to crank right up, and after I got the intake boot replaced, the car started normally.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
jetjock;2064591 said:
....As the schematic shows the pump also runs during cranking because airflow through the AFM is low and may be insufficient to get things going. Once the engine fires and the key is released the AFM takes over.

Not that it matters now but I guess he missed that...