1986 4runner with 7mge swap wont start anymore

7mge_4runner

Jan 13, 2014
washington
Hey everybody,

Two months ago I bought a new 1986 4runner with a 7mge swap into it. It has been running great no problems for two or so months with no major problems. Last week tho I pulled in to Autozone to get some parts was there for maybe ten minutes went back out to the truck to leave and it would not start. It would just sit there and turn over but nothing. So I tried some starting fluid to see if would help didn't do anything. I drove it about 11 miles to the store with no problems everything was good when pulled into the parking lot. so pulled a spark plug to check it was a little old but guy said should still be ok to use. So while i was there bought some NGK iridum spark plugs to change the ones i could. changed the front 2 and back 2 because intake was blocking the others and let it sit. Got in after 15 minutes maybe and got it started let sit for a little bit and idle sounded fine went to leave and it died when got to the exit. So i towed it home and still cant get it to start. Checked coil resistance its in specs, changed cap and rotor because they were worn, checked all wires that were spliced to harness going to ECU redid any wires that were looking weak. Still cant get it to start it tries to but wont. I checked the timing thinking maybe it skipped a tooth but everything was good and lined up. So I do not know where else to look and this is my first time working on a 7mge. only code that is showing is for sub- oxygen sensor but that was there when I bought it. Im looking for any insight to help any ideas why was running fine then when get back in wont even start. The engine is out of a 1990 supra. Thanks for any help that I do get

7mge_4runner

Jan 13, 2014
washington
I have swapped out the coil and ignitor with good ones now I'm getting intermittent spark. Some times it will spark once when I turn it over and other times no spark at all. I'm confused I'm thinking has to do with wiring but everything looks ok. Any ideas out there. any one done the swap know what wires I would want to look at. the 1986 4runner is a 22re and the 7mge is out of a 1990 supra. Thanks again!

motorider9911

May 23, 2014
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Sounds like it could be a loose connection, or rubbing wire that is exposed and shorting out. You might need a friend to help you with this, but what you can try is probing the wire that send the signal to the ign coil and see if while cranking it looses it signal. If so you then know which part is the problem. Also may want to check the pins in any connectors that have to do with the ignition system, there is a potential for the clip holding the pin in place is broken and the pin is pushed back slightly. You can test this by visual or gently pulling on the wires of the connector.