Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Sway Bars

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Save $ >> Turbo swap

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
Hi all from Supramania. I am fairly new to this site as i have only been a member for about a month now if i can recall correctly. This summer i bought my first car. A 1987 Toyota Supra N/A w/ Sport Package. It is a 5-speed, and i hope at least MOST of you know, it has the 7mge engine. When i picked it up from a guy about 45 minutes from my house, it was in need of a little bit of sanding on the hood, then primer and paint. I had the bodywork done by a local body shop, and they did a great job. Since then, i have added a set of 18x7.5 Konig Afterburner rims cradled inside Federal SS595 225/40/ZR18 Tires. Here are some pictures of the car as it is now. Soon upgrades will be lowering springs (already purchased), 3" exhaust all they way back, and cold air intake from 935 motorsport(hardpipe kit). Thanks alot, and ill be talking to some of you hopefully sometime on this site!

DSC00602.JPG

DSC00599.JPG

DSC00600.JPG

fattone's mkIII

Sep 19, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
HEY! I just bought mine earlier this year too. I got it painted but I still need to find some body molding before I post any pics of it anywhere. The guy I bought it off of had some pretty gay looking universal Walmart style moldings on it. THERE IS NO WAY I WAS PUTTING THOSE BACK ON!!!! Good luck on your project, Im thinking of going 1jz on mine but not sure yet

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
fattone's mkIII;1142484 said:
HEY! I just bought mine earlier this year too. I got it painted but I still need to find some body molding before I post any pics of it anywhere. The guy I bought it off of had some pretty gay looking universal Walmart style moldings on it. THERE IS NO WAY I WAS PUTTING THOSE BACK ON!!!! Good luck on your project, Im thinking of going 1jz on mine but not sure yet

hahaha, ya dont go putting on that walmart molding. At first i was thinking of going 1jz also, but then i did lots of research (2 full nights of non stop research, at least 10 hours), i came to the conclusion that a 7mgte is more fitting for me. The 7mgte has more modifications available, parts are easier to find, and to do the swap would be cheaper in general. 1JZ is more unique, but at my budget, it would be hard to afford right now.

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
queenskid926;1142541 said:
which brand of lowering springs did you go with?

Well, i bought them off of JB91389(member) and they are Aerospeed Springs. From the pics he sent me and the description he gave me, they will lower the car by about 2" from stock, and the ride is not to firm. perfect for a dd that wants a sport/track feel. BTW, these springs are discontinued now.

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
any rubbing issues with the 18"s? i had a set on 245/50/18, and they rubbed the plastic underfender apron.. so i sold em. im lookin at this other set of 18"s now, maybe i was just running the wrong tire before...

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
gelboy1015;1142645 said:
any rubbing issues with the 18"s? i had a set on 245/50/18, and they rubbed the plastic underfender apron.. so i sold em. im lookin at this other set of 18"s now, maybe i was just running the wrong tire before...

yea a 50 tire is way too much with 18's you need a 35 tire

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
87silverbullitt;1142584 said:
Well, i bought them off of JB91389(member) and they are Aerospeed Springs. From the pics he sent me and the description he gave me, they will lower the car by about 2" from stock, and the ride is not to firm. perfect for a dd that wants a sport/track feel. BTW, these springs are discontinued now.
Are the springs progressive or linear? and umm cough cough thinking of selling them? lol

earlingy

Sep 2, 2008
Huntsville
With a 2" drop, you might want to think about some aftermarket suspension arms to keep the car in alignment. They would probably help more than sway bars. 2" Drop just screams bumpsteer to me...
Next I'd say go with an exhaust, not for power but just to make you smile every time you whir up your 7m :evil2:

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i voted turbo swap, but if your only 16 i would go with the exhaust system. don't cheap out though. buy a good stainless system that will last you many years to come that you can use if you ever do a turbo swap. plus our motors sound great with good system. before you do thinking about mods i hope you changed all the fuilds, plugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, ect. that is where you will gain the most power if any of those are negleted.

here is a little clip of my car with the blitz nurspec for you to get an idea of what your sup can do with a little old 7mgte in it.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/supra-burnout_173117.htm

good luck with what every you choose. just read through the threads on here and you will be amazed by how much you can learn.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
nice car, but it does need a drop you should post a update with the springs =D,

but i would vote for the turbo swap unless your not into speed and into looks then just leave it and do some suspension work.

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
your car looks amazing, i got my first supra when i was 16 too(last year, actually in april lol) and it doesnt compare to yours in the looks dept. lol. If i was you id drop a gte w/ a r154 in it, and you would have a solid ride.....and get some more pics up!

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
I was 16 when i got my 87 sports package NA...lmao just last year..Go for a 7Mgte swap, thats what im doing...its fairly easy compared to the 1jz/2jz, so for a first enine swap its a good choise...

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Welcome to SM! I voted exhaust, you should enjoy driving the car for a while before you do a turbo swap. Even an NA Supra is a lot of car compared to most in it's price range.

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
Hi guys, i'd like to thank you all for the positive comments. I wont be putting the springs on until over the winter when the car is in a garage, so after that is done ill be sure to take some pictures. I work at an automotive garage and we have a wheel alignment machine here, so do you think i could use the maching to help a bit with the 2 inch drop? Also, i want to run a 3" exhaust all the way back from the catylitic. Ill go with a 3" because i could use it no with no problems on my N/A, and if i ever did decide to go through with the turbo swap, then i would already have the exhaust i need for go exhaust flow. And for ERA, i put the headlights like that ;)