14point7 UAFC?

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
So i posted this in the piggyback section almost a month ago and have had absolutely no response

"Just curious about this guy http://14point7.com/UAFC.php

i've heard good reviews from their widebands, but i haven't seen any talk of this.

I have a laptop so i think it would be really easy to make adjustments.

I was looking at getting a SAFC/II/Neo to tune, my 1jz with 440cc's but im liking this option so far!"

Will this work well with a 1jz? I guess my biggest question is: Does the 1jz map sensor use an analog 5v signal? What would be the difference between this and an SAFC? I haven't used any piggy pack before, but from what i understand, with an safc, you tune by scaling back the map sensor based on rpm. Where as on this unit, you load different maps, which is more similar to a stand alone right?

I searched a lot but couldn't find much on in. Its pretty cheap at only $125

It allows for 3 separate fuel maps, and it has 2 inputs for dataloging. so it seems pretty awesome, am i missing something here?

Last edited:

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It's a bit better than the Apexi units because it has more detailed control of the fuel corrections... but it still has the same problem that any piggyback unit has, it's always fighting with the stock ECU.

Yeah it should work fine on a 1JZ, the sensor is compatible.

I'd hook up the TPS signal to the map sensor though, because on a turbo car the TPS signal isn't a very good indicator of engine load, the MAP sensor is. I have my AFC Neo hooked up to the MAP sensor in place of the TPS signal and it seems to work better.

Edit: Actually this one seems to not use a TPS signal at all, it uses the incoming MAP signal to sense load already, which is good. That's the way it should be. I don't know why Apexi doesn't do it that way.

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Wow, that sounds awesome. i'm going go have to give it a try! although now im stumped with which wideband to go with, i've narrowed it down to 2 options, the 14point7 slc or the innovate mtx-l

the mtxl would be $75 cheaper, and i believe i could use the UAFC to datalog with it, although the SLC also has datalogging, and it seems to be a bit more advanced than the datalogging capabilities of the UAFC, I like the look of the mtxl over the SLC, i like the digital needle/digital readout combo, but i would choose function over form and go with the SLC if it gives me added tuning potential. I have also heard that the bosch lambda sensor used with the slc isn't as accurate as the innovate widebands, is this true? I'm probably over thinking this a lot, this is all new to me and i'm just trying to make the best choice, although in the long run i probably won't go wrong either way.

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Alright I have my UAFC and MTX-L installed in my car, the only problem is that i'm not getting an rpm signal, I have tried using both of the rpm signals on the ecu. I would like to know how this signal works, is it a frequency signal? Because i believe the UAFC requires a frequency based signal.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It is frequency based, and the correct RPM signal pin is "RPM1" pin number X17 (the largest connector is the X connector).

If you're sure you have the correct pin hooked up then call the UAFC manufacturer and ask them what the problem is. Maybe you got a defective unit, it happens.

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
Alright, I got everything sorted out, the UAFC requires at least a 7v input signal, so I had to make a circuit to convert the low voltage RPM signal into a higher voltage, in this case a 12v signal.

556983_3367301815158_1047567115_3219492_200803875_n.jpg

I was able to make this using radio shack components, Everything seems to be working well, since im going to install 440cc injectors, i plan on setting all the values of one of the maps to 84% and work from there. not too bad for only $100 so far lol.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Please tell us your experiences with this unit, I would love to play with something MAP-signal based and higher resolution for my 1J! Tell us how it's working for you!

I use a laptop all the time anyway for data-logging, this would be great.