#1 cyliinder miss - intermittent & can NOT find the cause

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
I have the most bizarre problem; #1 cylinder misses intermittently. The plug, plug wire and coil all check out according to TSRM, and each have been replaced to confirm that they're not the fault.

When I put the timing lite around #1wire, it's showing abnormal spark. It's normal when the engine is running smoothly & when it misses THE SPARK EITHER DROPS OR THE RATE DOUBLES! #6 is not showing any abnormality when the engine misses, so it's not the ignitor (or both 1 & 6 would miss).
If the plug were bad & no current flowed, that would explain what I see with the timing lite - but the plugs are brand new. I drove it about 5 miles on the new plugs & checked the #1 plug & it's brown instead of white, but not oil-coated - it is dry.

Completely stumped! Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas what might be the cause??
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
David

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
Turns out that even tho' the #1 plug wire had no current flow & thus no spark; the problem was a faulty fuel injector. Suddenly the #1 plug fires normally!!
Thanks for the fresh ideas!!
I knew that there was no current flow thru the plug-wire, & that focused me on an electrical problem....

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Good deal. At the risk of greatly oversimplifying the plasma physics involved it helps to think of the ionization occurring across the plug gap as a resistor with the mixture changing resistance. Too rich or lean and misfire occurs.