1.5JZ Throttle-boost delay

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
I get a delay when I try to accelerate. The car would stutter a little then pickup speed but its kinda rough, not a smooth acceleration. I tried adjusting the TPS, helped a little but what else would I look for?

Theres no vaccum leaks or boost leaks, not that I know of. Everythings hooked but I do have code 55, rear knock sensor I beleive

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Fix the code first. Then you can worry about other issues. It sounds like a you are burning rich and then it burns the excess fuel. Are you using a dampner in the fuel line?

Before doing anything, fix the knock sensors. It is usually the wiring, but take a look at the wiring. Could be a bad sensor.

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
I extended the wires myself using shielded wires on the KS. I'll have the KS circuit checked out.

The damnper is stock but not sure what its from cause I wanted to mount the dampner on the block. The 1J was too short and wouldnt fit so I tried a GE. The GE didnt mount as well so I was going to use that but I had a fuel leak and swapped out to a dampner that didnt leak. Cant remember if its a GE or 1J dampner.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Get the JZ pinout for your ECU and then check for continuity at the terminals.

If that is good, replace the knock sensor and see if the code goes away. Not sure if the code says front or rear sensor but if it does, you could try swapping out the front and rear and see if the code goes away and a next code comes for the front. Just a suggestion...

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
Thanks for the response. Are the GE KS the same as the 1J's?

Checking continuity, would I be checking at the ECU or at the plug where the sensor is? What should it measure in Ohms?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
No, disconnect power and ground from the car. Get a power probe. Put a wire from the ground terminal to the knock sensor plug. Connect your power probe to the battery and check to see of you get the ground on the ECU plug pin.

Disconnect the ground from the knock sensor plug and the ground should go away from the ECU pin.

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
K, I got the CEL fixed. There was an OPEN in the circuit, I re-wired it up and drove about 50 miles and I noticed that the acceleration is a whole lot better but I still get a stutter.

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
IBoughtASupra;1704477 said:
Start the car and let it idle at operating temperature, what is the voltage at the TPS on the ECU?

Doesnt the TPS have 3 wires? ground, reference voltage and signal? you want me to tap into the signal?

Im having a hard time tracking the TPS pin on the harness from the ECU. I have a SC300 with a Soarer swap, the picture below is where I got the info for the KS. I dont see the TPS. Cant I get the voltage at the sensor?

p1704851_1.jpg

Last edited: