1.5jz or stick with 1jz

91mkIII

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Hey guys and girls. I'm new to this forum and have some questions about whether or not I should go throught the trouble of upgrading my mk3 to a 1.5jz or just rebuild the stock 1jz.

Here's the problem. The 1jz that's in the car now started knocking badly this last summer so I shut it down and parked it in my shop. I have a 2jz from an aristo I had that was involved in an accident but "looks" like it still in decent condition. The 1jz has already been upgraded a bit and here's a list of the upgrades.

Engine:
-Apexi IHI C7 Turbo (62mm inducer)
-Trust Manifold (single scroll T4 flange)
-Trust Type R Wastegate with 7-10psi spring
-Jun 272 exhaust cam, Jun 264 intake cam (3500km)
-Jun Cam Gears
-Greddy 4 bolt downpipe
-Custom 3" exhaust
-Custom 3 inch intake with cone filter
-ARC Intercooler with 2.5" endtanks and dimensions 18x12x4 with 2.5" piping
-HKS SSQV BOV
-Kenne Belle Boost a Spark
-Custom catch can with -10AN fittings and stainless line
-Custom Dual Feed fuel rail. -6AN inlet and outlet. The fuel inlets are fed to a Y and go to a -8AN fitting. The -8 line is fed to an external Bosch 044 fuel pump. All the lines are stainless. I used the factory feed and return lines that go from the tank to the front of the car.
-Aeromotive FPR with gauge
-MK4 550cc injectors are currently installed.
-Devils Own Methanol Injection Kit. I got the Diesel Stage 1 kit. Includes 5,10,14gph nozzles and a Y to run dual nozzles if needed. I currectly have the 14gph nozzle connected running a 50/50 mix. The injection system is activated via my Standalone EMS and I used the stock windshield washer tank as the reservoir.
-Stinger Standalone EMS with plug and play harness for the JZA70
-Hallman Pro Manual Boost Controller

Drivetrain/Suspension:
-HPF Feramic clutch with ACT pressure plate
-Custom solid engine mounts
-C's short shifter with Marlin Crawler bushings and TRD shift knob
-Unknown aftermarket LSD
-Stance GR+ Coilovers (5000km)
-Front and Rear Strut Bars
-Doward BBK adapters with KVR Mustang Cobra Brake Package. Front brakes are 13" slotted with 2 Piston PBR Calibers and KVR Ceramic Pads with Stainless steel lines. Rear brakes are stock with Ceramic pads and Stainless steel lines.

I would love to have a TH350 or 400 tranny in there too, it currently has the R154. I also want a 1 piece driveshaft.

Anyways computers and posting pics are not my strong suit, but if anyone has any info they can give me it would be more than I have at the moment. What headgasket I would need pistons and rod combos ect.....

Thanks, Zach from Alberta.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
if you're planning on keeping the 2J bottom end stock, then yes, go with the 1.5JZ

even if you plan on going built, the 2J will be cheaper in the long run, 1J pistons are now available from titan and DM, but the rods are still rather expensive afaik.

yung2ner

3E5 LOVER
I'm in the same position. 91 1jz bought a week ago now its knocking. I can get a 2jz-ge for less then half of a full 1j. I was going to start a new thread but since this one is open I don't wanna clutter the forum.

I've been searching the last few days and can't find a definite guide or list of parts that require putting the 2j bottom on the 1j head. Could anyone give some pointers to whats involved and what parts are needed? The most I've found is using the 1j oil pump and thats about it. I'm at a complete loss and would love a 1.5jz!

Thank you,
Nik

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I know the previous owner of this car and I am sure he would LOVE to see this thing back on the road and running. Going with a 1.5J is a great idea! I would normally say just go with the 2J and ditch the 1J all together but considering you have cams, single setup and the works it would make more sense to go 1.5J.

Get that beast of a jza70 back on the road and ill see you at Castrol haha.

91mkIII

Jan 21, 2011
Alberta
Ok well I think I'll go with the 1.5. Why don't we make this a thread for info on what is needed and preferred for the 1.5 setup. So for those guys that have done the 1.5 it would be great to hear your stories of problems and stuff that have gone right. Let us know what we should be looking forward to.

customs, I'll do what I can to get the beast back on the road. We'll rip Castrol up this summer!!

I'll try and post pics and updates as I get them done.. I have to find a reputable machine shop that will clean the 2jz block up before I start going all out. If anyone has a website or know of any good deals for pistons rods and so one let us know..

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
91mkIII;1670899 said:
Ok well I think I'll go with the 1.5. Why don't we make this a thread for info on what is needed and preferred for the 1.5 setup. So for those guys that have done the 1.5 it would be great to hear your stories of problems and stuff that have gone right. Let us know what we should be looking forward to.

I think this is a great idea. If we could get some solid information going we could possibly start something thats "sticky" worthy.
I have always thought about going with a 1.5J but the lack on information has been one of the main facts that has stopped me.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
theres a few of those threads in this forum already, dunno what page its on now, so youll have to search for it