1.5jz block options (help)

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Hey wassup guys, as some of you know I now have a 1jz. Thats not the reason for the thread though, Im curious about doing the 1.5jz and using a 2jzge block. I would like help deciding either to get TT pistons and rods and use the oem headgasket, using the stock pistons and rods with a thicker headgasket or just using the stock pistons and rods with the OEM headgasket. I am aware all of these will yeild different compression ratios. Which would be better though? (or to you) making more power down low without being able to run massive tons of boost. Or not make as much power bottom end but having the advantage of running more boost? Im asking all of my questions before I start buying parts out wazoo because i want to be efficient with this setup that I can rely on. Also since I have a standalone would I need to retune? I've asked several people all with different answers.

Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you run a stock 2jzge with 10.5:1 compression you either better have a good tune or run low boost.

I would run a 2mm hg to lower the compression, retune, and run the piss out of it till it blows and go to the junkyard and get another. Thats what im planning on doing even tho i got mad 7m parts.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I would take it seriously and use GTE pistons and rods.. that's what I'll be doing along with head work when the time comes.

and yes, one would absolutely need to re-tune the car after doing something of this nature.