YOUR Supra... Is it FUN to DRIVE?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
As we slip down into the well-suited-torso-cradling-bolster-rich-depressed-perch fabric or natural hide seating embrace of our cockpit havens of motordom-mark-three... and are greeted by the familiar "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep..." of the door-ajar warning beacon as we insert the key and transition into position for pre-launch checks by deftly drawing the left leg (or RIGHT = AU!) in and dropping the steering column into our lap... then turning the key to the whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl of a fuel pump, deetle-deetle-deeeet, deet detector bark among several other superfluous audible and illuminating reports... we once again relish in the heightened elixir of the Supra owner foray into mechanical foreplay precipitating cacophonous boost-pumping-blow-job-climax-ala-compounded-compression to sate the most S&Mian among us here... and proceed to bask in the joys of what we've all come to share about the Supra!

IT'S SO FUN TO DRIVE!!!

...or IS it?:sarcasm:

We are original owners, first time car buyers, long time and shade-tree mechanics, hard core gear heads, techno geekoids, stubborn diehards, technical wizards, middle-eighties-receding hair-lined white-collar office cubicle dwellers, major-motion-picture fanatics who fancy themselves "boost-material" by virtue of misplaced enthusiasm, hapless pre-reality-check-virgins of Supra Noobescence, pre-legal babes, motor-moisties just waiting for their first wet-willy-water-jacket tickle into the titillating teachings of the SevenEm... discoverers of the greatest secrets of philosophical consideration afforded automotive...

...and among us there is both victory, and defeat... and a BROAD RANGE in-between!:naughty:

So I put the question to YOU!

BIG POWER that wears on your wallet at every turn, and serves up knee-joint pain and busted, blown, broken and spent parts...

STOCKIE-ROCKIE fortune, that has kept a pristine specimen happy and fruitful with minimal headache and misfortune...

PROJECT STRIP-DOWN that has worn your flesh to the bone, and frazzled your finances to infinito...

INSPIRED BUILD-UP that continues to perpetuate a DREAM that has yet to be realized, but either continues to compel you with the promise of rewards guaranteed, or has brought you to your senses as you part the sum of sweat and blood for the cha-chingaling clank of a smazzle of spare change in return.

With all the variables that can be considered when you look at the nature of our individual and group Supra experiences, I got to wondering about all you SupraManians out there... are YOU DRIVING and DO YOU HAVE FUN in your supra?

Is YOUR Supra FUN to DRIVE?
;)

-crisp

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Wow Crisp you sure have a way with words :D , and the way you descirbed the "cockpit" was anything less than precise and accurate. To answer you question Yes I do enjoy my ride as I am the "STOCKIE-ROCKIE" that lives with minimal headaches and keeps a clean ride.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I wouldn't have bought a Supra if it wasn't fun to drive. When we go to WalMart I purposely go to the one 20 miles away (closest is 10) just to run her on the 2 lane 55 mph open road.

Although it's a lot more fun now that it's in better shape, I used to dread getting stuck somewhere. And I can only imagine once I get around to the exhaust, sway bars, bushings, and rear suspension bars. More power + better handling = :evil2:

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Definitely fun.

Even more fun when you've fixed an ongoing issue and remember what the car felt like BEFORE the issue. Such as my vibration issue, all 4 nuts were VERY loose at the flange to the diff. Tightened up, smooth as silk again.

Yesterday I puttied up the exhaust joints bc I was tired of hearing half of it come out from under the car. SO much quieter now, cruising in 5th gear it's like the car isn't even ON until I floor it and then RAWR.

Everything now is so much smoother than it was a few days ago and it's very nice, and a good reminder as to why I've been through all the drama I've been in over the car.

Fun? Oh, it's way beyond fun to drive my car...this is as close to a religious experience as I can get these days. :biglaugh:

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
My supra is fun to drive I fall into the BIG POWER that wears on your wallet at every turn, and serves up knee-joint pain and busted, blown, broken and spent parts...

When I put my foot to the floor I grab the steering wheel tight with one hand and with the other on the shifter to prepair to shift as I spool the T-66 and hear the wasteagte scream like a mad terradactyl tell I get to that breaking point of 7k RPM and shift to release the pressure of the turbo out of my car like BIG push of air coming as my car exhales from my 50mm TIAL BOV!

Yes I enjoy to drive my car!

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I DD my supra...everywhere, so its more than a yes. I wouldn't trade the time I've logged behind the wheel for anything.

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
mine was fun till the 7m finally gave up while road racing :( the new 1uztt will definately put a even bigger smile on my face :)

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I'd have to fall into the INSPIRED category since I'm still trying to get her running right. Well, right now I'm trying to get her running.

But back before I blew the engine, I lived to drive this car. As soon as I can get another engine in her, I will again. I fucking LOVE it!

(so as an answer, yes, it's fun)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
mine was fun when i drove it...currently; however, I'm in the inspired build-up category. In two weeks, it should return to the "big power" category.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
My 86.5 is fun as hell, I can take corners and the exhaust sounds menacing...

the TEMS constantly hitting the max point with the targa off, just rowing through the gears is fun as hell...

my 92 is nice and solid only noise I can hear is the stereo (and the squeaky hatch, gotta fix that), it is probably the quietest car I've ever been in, super smooth, it's a hardtop, so no sunroof or targa to enjoy the sky, but it's okay, it's a nice place to be, very stock and nice, it was probably like this when it left the dealer..

My 89 on the other hand is the complete opposite. 255,000+ miles with the targa off will do that to you. It's LOUD AS FUCK, it's FAST (compared to my other Supras) as fuck, it SMELLS LIKE GAS, and it's flashy, lots of rare parts, the interior is by no means mint, but it gets the job done, nice sound system with the 91 panels/speakers I have in there. I love driving with the targa off, letting the BOV scare people on the street, driving 5 below the speed limit on purpose, because I know I have nothing to prove, but when a ricer gets next to me, I downshift from 5th to 3rd, hit full boost, leave him in the dust, and then I slow back down to my original pace, as I do not street race.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
As Spikenard watched, Bronwyn slipped the transparent cloak from her shoulders; it fell with a whisper. She let her hands drop to her sides; she pulled her shoulders back and stood erect, feet apart, legs straight. This is what he saw:

Brownyn standing pale and tall in the nervous light that shimered through a vibrating canopy of green leaves. The shifting bands of milky light and emrald shadow made her seem luminous, translucent, as though she were a tallow candle glowing beneath its own flame. Like a porcelain lantern. Like a curtain fluttering in a window at dawn. Like a ghost that came and went with the twilight and darkness, that first veiled and revealed. And then they hopped into a Supra and it was fun :)

But yee, I enjoy my time in the Poopra.

Last edited:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
i fawkin loove driving this car. its such a completly different animal than every other car i've driven. 'i would fall under the inspired build-up category. im always looking for something to do to the car, but at the same time im tryin to keep it clean and classy.

damn crisp, you really DO have a way with words. i've never read anything about a car and felt like i did when i was reading that. i could see it all in my head, gettin in the car, the beeping and lights. only a TRUE mk3 owner could put that together. props :bigthumb:

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
Mine is a blast to drive but its geting old cause It wont stay on the road for more than two weeks at a time... Its either trans or diff every time... LOL. 5 broken ones so far and its only been ~1000 milles.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
My Supra began mostly stock, now it has a vast majority of the big ticket bang-for-the-buck upgrades. Like swaybars, shocks/springs, MkIV rims and wide/sticky tires, soon to be lexAFM/550's, 57 trim CT26, brake upgrades, ect.

And it moves. It moves well enough that anyone who has ridden in it or driven it has been both awed and impressed by it. Those who know Supras, and particularly 7M's, are equally impressed by the motor's endurance and longevity.

It's not much to look at but it's alot of fun that can get you into a world of trouble in a heatbeat.

The only thing I would change is that I wish it was a hardtop.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
hell yeah my supra is fun to drive!!!

this is all i can say. i have been is oahu since june 9th. everyday has been so much fun between the beach, BBQ, the girls, and the clubs. but i'm going home tonight and i can't wait to get home back behind the wheel of my car. driving my sisters 02 jetta just doesn't cut it. after not driving my car for so long i truly appreciate how cool these cars are. now only if i lived out here with my supra. that would be the shit!!!

i'm thinkin next summer...:naughty:

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
When I drive it is pure pleasure, unless I get stuck behind some grandma. Every time I drop it a gear or two and open her up I get a massive rush of adrenaline that flows through my entire body. The looks I get from most, especially when I take off like a bat out of hell (example, dropped it into 3rd getting on the freeway, as soon as I had the chance I floored it and launched from 30 to 80 within a second or two, the guy I passed had a look of wanting my Supra badly). It's always fun to know that I can beat a lot of vehicles on the road, and still know that I could get my ass handed to me like I was standing still by a few others. The thought that I know I can pass someone in a relatively short amount of space, possibly breaking the tires free in the process.

The seat is so comfortable that I want to transplant it into my DD. The way the seat hugs my body, holding me tightly as I go around corners and fly past people. No other car I've owned has ever fealt this way. I can still remember the first time I drove up a steep mountain pass that is windy and twisty that most cars struggle. They were doing their best to just make it up the hill and I was passing them like they were standing still, shifting up into the next gear and continuing to pull hard on them.

My Supra is my pure pleasure. Even though it may cost me a lot of money, every penny spent is well worth it. As I progress I become more intimate with my car, knowing every nut and bolt that holds it together. It gives me a sense of pride knowing that I built it almost all by myself (yes I have enlisted help at times, but not often). I take pride in saying that my Supra is built, not bought.