Your job title!!!

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
That's about what it takes to keep a mk3 running these days. ;)

OR

You've got to be as stubborn as an engineer to keep working on one of these.

So true.

You are either making your own parts or have deep enough pockets to throw endless amounts of money at it.

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
I'm learning that the hard way. Been ordering parts left and right. Hopefully I get it running soon though. Can't afford to keep putting money just to get her running.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Even saving on labor its a money pit.

I used to track how much $ spent on parts.
Gave up a couple years ago, its far too depressing when the number ends up near the cost of a 2000 era Porsche 911 or Boxter.
If I didn't like the vehicle so much it would make zero sense financially to continue rebuilding it.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston

OR

Stubborn is right! You ought to see my Thermodyanmics 1 mid-term grade....43/100 :rofl::rofl::rofl::runaway: I dont feel too bad class avg was like a 40

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com

Gave up a couple years ago, its far too depressing when the number ends up near the cost of a 2000 era Porsche 911 or Boxter.
If I didn't like the vehicle so much it would make zero sense financially to continue rebuilding it.
Yeah, but you'd still have work to do on that Porsche. I still track every purchase and chat cost per mile and per day of ownership. My last Supra cost me around $10k of lost funds over ten years. That's damn good for a performance car I drove the shit out of and spent money on "strictly fun" mods.

Any fun car worth a damn will cost a significant sum of money, until you talk about six figure range investments that actually appreciate. You just gotta pick one and enjoy it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
In fact, given that there is little depreciation, and maybe even some appreciation, the cost of the car is not really that high. Anything reasonably new will be costing you $3k or more per year just in depreciation, and a lot more for performance oriented cars.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah I don't have a problem working on all my other vehicles.

Regular maintenance work is a cake walk compared to what the Supra needs.
Rust remediation, sub-frame reinforcement, re engineering oiling system, casting polyurethane bushings, scratch built exhaust and intake system, complete tear-down and rebuild of essentially every component and sub-component, ect....
The list is literally never ending.
Someday I will go back and compile a complete list of what was done including the photos that were taken every step of the way.

Who's MKIII is appreciating?
I only see MKIV models at least holding their original value.
The MKIII is not recognized anywhere besides a very small community of owners.

I plan on keeping this vehicle forever, not sure I will even trust it to my kids :D

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yeah I don't have a problem working on all my other vehicles.

Regular maintenance work is a cake walk compared to what the Supra needs.
Rust remediation, sub-frame reinforcement, re engineering oiling system, casting polyurethane bushings, scratch built exhaust and intake system, complete tear-down and rebuild of essentially every component and sub-component, ect....
The list is literally never ending.
Someday I will go back and compile a complete list of what was done including the photos that were taken every step of the way.

Who's MKIII is appreciating?
I only see MKIV models at least holding their original value.
The MKIII is not recognized anywhere besides a very small community of owners.

I plan on keeping this vehicle forever, not sure I will even trust it to my kids :D

They're definitely appreciating for clean examples. Nothing like the mk4, but values seem to be creeping up.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah maybe appreciating from a low of $3-5k.
Certainly not holding their original value.

Original MSRP (on average) for a MKIII Turbo in the late 80's early 90's:
~ $25,000

Adjusting for inflation that would come out to 2017 dollars:
~ $50,000

Original MSRP (on average) for a MKIV Turbo in the 90's:
~ $43,000

~ $70,000

Today I see MKIV's selling for 50, 60, 70k, they are actually holding their original value which is very impressive.

I see no MKIII's selling for 30, 40, 50k, at best I have seen 15-18k for a showroom quality rarity.
Most sell for less than $9k.
Supra.JPG

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX

Original MSRP (on average) for a MKIII Turbo in the late 80's early 90's:
~ $25,000

~ $50,000

Original MSRP (on average) for a MKIV Turbo in the 90's:
~ $43,000

~ $70,000

Today I see MKIV's selling for 50, 60, 70k, they are actually holding their original value which is very impressive.

I see no MKIII's selling for 30, 40, 50k, at best I have seen 15-18k for a showroom quality rarity.
View attachment 80102

Or in my case $900 for the supra. Lol I have notice the mkiv are pretty high in priceing. That is one car I can only dream to buy as the population of those cars has diminished in the past ten years and priceing is increasing due to supply and demand.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX

its funny cuz almost daily i see people on the FB groups bitching about how their car is worth $30k and how we're all assholes who keep purposely depreciating these cars. its a 20+ year old toyota that nobody recognizes, its not that valuable...

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
its funny cuz almost daily i see people on the FB groups bitching about how their car is worth $30k and how we're all assholes who keep purposely depreciating these cars. its a 20+ year old toyota that nobody recognizes, its not that valuable...

Which generation?
The MKIV?

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
Field Service Technician.
I work for a heavy equipment manufacturer.

Have not had a supra for about 6 years. I now make quite a bit more money than I did back then and am getting itch to build another car.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Of course they are not at their original value. I just meant that the mk3 was essentially fully depreciated when it was 15 years old, and the value since then has been flat, and maybe rising a little now.

If you bought one in the last 10 years, it most likely will have changed little in value over those 10 years. If you bought it new then you enjoyed steady depreciation for 15 years, but after that it was flat.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Of course they are not at their original value. I just meant that the mk3 was essentially fully depreciated when it was 15 years old, and the value since then has been flat, and maybe rising a little now.

If you bought one in the last 10 years, it most likely will have changed little in value over those 10 years. If you bought it new then you enjoyed steady depreciation for 15 years, but after that it was flat.

Yup understood.
Thanks for the good clarification.

Agreed, they seem to be slowly appreciating now.
Will be interesting to see where prices go in another 10 years.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Lots of engineers kicking around it seems...

Jeff
Of all the folks I meet at SIV every year, I'd say at least one in four is an engineer. Lots of military folks, as well as a pilot or two, couple doctors, etc... I think I'm in the wrong field haha.

OR

Heh, well said Andy. These cars suffer no fools, that's for sure! Mine has only tried to light itself on fire once... so far. On the plus side, I've learned a lot about how fuel systems work and how the car operates (or rather, doesn't) when the fuel system doesn't work.

The potential fire situation was an unpleasant reminder that I need to learn electrical systems... tip for those of you just gleaming the thread, some free knowledge: terminate or solder ALL connections. Don't just twist and tape like an idiot.

Until I put insurance on the car, I had no idea how much I had into mine. Only reason I dared add it up was so I knew how much would be a reasonable amount for an agreed-value policy, as far as parts value cost.

There is a damned good reason I jokingly refer to it as my Ferrari. Had I just saved up my cash for the ~6 years I was buying parts to build the dream Supra, I could have bought a Ferrari 360... with cash. Granted, now the values of those are climbing up, so that no longer really applies, but still. All together though, I really enjoy driving my car, it has taught me more than I ever thought I would know, and has led to a passion of metal work that I wouldn't likely have had the inspiration or courage to pursue otherwise. :)

As for my occupation, I'm a warehouse lead technician. Essentially, I am a professional shit packer. Not in that sense though haha! I do a lot of things around there, but mainly I verify every part number and quantity of every item you order, and package them safely for shipping, to make sure you can keep your machinery running correctly. Given that in our industry, downtime can cost thousands per hour, if not more, the folks I work for really appreciate how thorough I am.

Dream job? I have two. One would require winning the lottery, the other just a healthy investment from someone far wealthier than I'm likely to ever be. The lotto one is fun, I'd like to take the lesser loved cars from the past, and restore them in my own vision. This would allow some neat freedom of expression, but of course once you factor in the time it takes to build a vehicle, I'd probably only complete a vehicle or two in a year, if I did this the typical 40-60 hours a week, given my current skill levels. Sell the car once I'm done, profit be damned. Perhaps (likely, even) donate the proceeds to charities.

The realistic dream job, I'd like to do driving instruction, to show the next generation that driving can be fun. I'm not a professional driver by any means, but I have very solid fundamentals and am certainly above average, but more important than that, I can typically adapt to different learning speeds and relate to the folks I've taught. Driving is mostly mental engagement, the other small part is just getting your body to listen to your brain... Anyway, could also be tied in with local law enforcement, if you are dumb enough to text (or any other grossly inappropriate distraction) and drive, you get to take my special class. Only thing keeping me from doing this is a lack of an investment partner, and the mortgage I have. Other than that, we're all set! :p