Your job title!!!

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
Sounds kind of like a personal question but it is interesting to find out what others do for a living. List your job title and main duties of your job. If you work for a company or own your own company. Any other Information you would like to add as in dream job, working for promotion, soon to start your own company, ect.....

Abe's 1987

Sep 5, 2017
Houston,TX
For me I'm a handyman working to get a promotion as a project manager in a construction company. As of right now I'm also working on getting a bachelors degree in computer science. Me and the wife also plan on starting up our own company but this is early stage plans. Undecided what kind of company we want to start. My dream job is a automotive engineer for one of the big car companies.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
"Application Engineer" now, but I've been a Manufacturing Engineer most my career up until mid this year. I was aiming to work for a big Automotive OEM in years past, but never got beyond first round interviews/screenings and after talking to a few people that had left Toyota and Nissan I lost interest and moved on. The big auto companies are not necessarily a place for on-the-fly innovation and that's really the place I want to be. I like working in a garage restoring and fabricating - not working on a door latch for 12 months, testing it over 2 million cycles the same way it's been tested for decades.

Dream job would be running my own gig. Starting your own thing and making a living from it is tough, though. Doing that and replacing experienced engineering pay is even harder. At many times I feel like Chandler Bing in Friends - I need the fear!

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Most recently I have been a Test Engineer then Product Engineer and now Vehicle Application Engineering with a side of reverse engineering.
My current position fits me very well as I have a heavy background in Automotive Engineering and have worked some time as a mechanic in a garage among quite a few other positions.
Fairly specialized, and usually fun most days.
Never would have expected myself in a position like this when I look back at my aspirations in College.

My "path" would have been similar to what suprarx7nut described.
Though I graduated around the time the big auto manufacturers were hurting badly (2008) and received government bailout.
That was the nail in the coffin for me, I had zero interest at that point to work in the Detroit or east coast areas for Automotive engineering headquarters.
Not to mention I despise the Detroit area, have been back a few times in the last couple years for training and it still looks like a shithole.

On a lighter note if you get a chance to see Toyota's new headquarters in Plano Texas, do it!
Its one of the most amazing business campuses I have seen in my life.
Which makes sense since they spent a Billion dollars making it. (Yes Billion with a B)
I was down there earlier this year, can't really say why I was down there but its business related :D

Edit: Forgot to mention one of the coolest things I saw there.
The grand daddy to the MKIII Supra.
They have a 2000 GT there on display, its immaculate.
Very drool worthy.
Only 62 LHD models made it to the U.S. out of a total of 351 built ever.

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Solution Architect, consulting business on the side.

Aspirations are to grow the consulting business until it can supply a full time income. After that ideally start/partner into several other businesses and passion projects. If one could be a race team/shop etc that would be phenominal.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Currently, Office Bitch...in school for Mechanical Engineering (its kicking my ass), hopefully in the a year and a half when I graduate, I'll be an entry level Engineer somewhere.

MichiganLC

Oct 30, 2015
Michigan
Chemical Engineer in the Pharmaceutical Industry for the last 10 years. Before that I was in the Auto industry with a Tier 1 supplier since ‘94. Bought my first mk3 in 1995. An ‘88 Turbo with 40,000 miles on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Previously: Toyota Parts Technician for 11 years
Currently: Mechanical Engineering Student for 2 years

I also write web software from time to time, but significantly less over the last 7-8 years than before that.

Jeff