Yellow/Orange light on the left of dash?

George

oct86
Feb 18, 2007
Brown County
It's probably your air filter light. When I got my 86.5, the hose that fits into the air duct was plugged with a screw and the air duct was plugged into the rear window washer. So, I set it right and that birdcage light came on. It looked like an air filter, so I cleaned it and it went back off.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
George said:
It's probably your air filter light. When I got my 86.5, the hose that fits into the air duct was plugged with a screw and the air duct was plugged into the rear window washer. So, I set it right and that birdcage light came on. It looked like an air filter, so I cleaned it and it went back off.

:rofl:

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
George said:

George, I realize that you're speaking from your experience. However, in this case your experiences have led you to the wrong conclusion. That light is in no way tied in to the intake or air filter. As other posts in the thread have mentioned, it's connected to a sensor in the overflow tank, that's it.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
George said:

LOL. That's a good one.

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
Lol the light really does look like a birdcage, and when it came on first for me, I could not figure it out for the life of me. Instead of it being a BHG, check your radiator cap first and make sure it's working, then check your thermostat. Work small and work your way up. As for the engine not having a BHG because its non-turbo, someone already said all 7M's came mistorqued from the factory. So it doesn't matter as long as you got a supra with a 7M-something, it'll eventually blow. When it blows though is up to the driver.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I remember asking the same question and describing the light as a bird cage.

Some of you f uckers had a nice laugh at my expense. That was over a year ago.

And....., it helps if you describe the light you see, it's not always the bird cage.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
supramacist said:
it's not always the bird cage.

yup, sometimes it's the "circus tent" or the "hampster wheel" (didn't ever really see that one myself) or the "air filter light" (still don't get that one either)...

I had a helluva time explaining what light I was talking about when I got my MKIII over a year ago... then I found an online copy of the owner's manual and the riddle was solved!

I keep thinking about replacing that indicator with one that simply says "OH SH!T"

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
No the light that does not go off means you need to replace your

muffler bearing call up toyota and ask for part number
ID (TEN) T - A 55 H0 13

now seriously if your tank is full of water to the top and your light is still on it means 2 things.

The sensor is not floating anymore and sunk to the bottom making you light stay on.
remedy goto junk yard and get a new reservoir.

The wire going to your gauge is shorted to ground some where.

the fastest way to tell if the sensor doesnt float anymore disconnect the plug at the radiator tank if the light goes out you have a short at or in the sensor and or your float doesnt float any more with a full tank of water it might even be dirty and have leaves or something holding it in the bottom to! so make sure its clean in there.

mwracing

Jul 19, 2007
Richmond
BorHor said:
point in bring up this old thread is...?
i have same problem in my mk3, and saw this clever post as i was reading from page 1 to 4... did a search button for topic on dash light..
sorry i didnt consider the age of the thread!! Yesh!

Last edited:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It's all good. I couldn't figure out what the heck you were doing either... then I read a couple of the previous posts. +1 for actually searching, -1 for typing in all caps. ;)

mwracing

Jul 19, 2007
Richmond
CRE said:
It's all good. I couldn't figure out what the heck you were doing either... then I read a couple of the previous posts. +1 for actually searching, -1 for typing in all caps. ;)
thanks.

i know how everyone in every forum hassles on use the search function.. etc..

so i did.

by doing the search i found about 6-7 topics started cause they didnt use the search button. although it is a hard topic to find with sooo many names or nicknames covering this particular dash light.