XXR rims

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Wish I could, man...300 is a great price for those. I just had to drop 500 on the deposit for custom 17x9 and 17x13's, though. And I won't even see them for a handful of months! T-T

wornoutsupra

i gots a poopra
Jan 23, 2010
canton,ohio
lol thanks I found out the 17x10 actually go for 430ish a rim and I was gonna get the 17x8 for the front but I cant justify spending 820 bucks on just two rims I paid 500 for the rear ones i just want them to goto a nice home lol

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Satan;1651231 said:
Wasn't rantin' anyone specific. Just really disappointed that the debate is still going with the "you get what you pay for," theme, but no one's posted any data that gives a wheel-for-wheel comparison which supports that claim. Equivalent to "I paid "six figures" for my wheels, so they are safer. REALLY! ...Just look at my receipt!"

The only failed wheel shown, is made by a very well-known name in the wheel business (and there are no specifics to why it really failed or what was being done, which caused the damage).

I guess I'd prefer that some people not make global statements about us being cheap (especially when they can't provide real data to support their claims) . Maybe until that proof is provided, we can agree to use the word "practical," instead of "cheap," when referring to MKIII owners who buy inexpensive wheels.... Is that too much to ask?

Elvis,

I dont think you can argue that a multi-section, forged rim such as Volk or CCW is a better and safer rim than an cast unit. Your right, there is a cost associated with a true performace product versus a standard consumer grade product. I agree that most cast rims wont fail under normal conditions but a built MKIII or MKIV is not what I would consider "a normal condition". I took the middle road and was patient and bought a set of used Volks off of a MKIV on SF. I spent a little over a grand and I now have a true performace rim at a slightly higher cost of ownership than a consumer grade rims. Just an option that should be considered. I agree with you that even if you have disposable income, you should be frugal and wise in your spending. Having owned cast rims all of these years and defending their purchase, I honestly could never go back.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
csnow;1652928 said:
Elvis,

I dont think you can argue that a multi-section, forged rim such as Volk or CCW is a better and safer rim than an cast unit. Your right, there is a cost associated with a true performace product versus a standard consumer grade product. I agree that most cast rims wont fail under normal conditions but a built MKIII or MKIV is not what I would consider "a normal condition". I took the middle road and was patient and bought a set of used Volks off of a MKIV on SF. I spent a little over a grand and I now have a true performace rim at a slightly higher cost of ownership than a consumer grade rims. Just an option that should be considered. I agree with you that even if you have disposable income, you should be frugal and wise in your spending. Having owned cast rims all of these years and defending their purchase, I honestly could never go back.

Forged will only really result in a lighter wheel in the long run, not stronger. If both wheels where the same weight, sure, the forged one would be stronger, but that's not the point in the wheel design.

Also, keep in mind many rally wheels are CAST. Rally wheels arguably take the most beating as well...

Also, multi piece wheels add failure points. This is exactly why F1 requires one piece wheels. Old F1 wheels where cast magnesium while modern ones are forged (yet again, to get weight down by adding strength then removing material). If you're going to split hairs, why not drop the dime on some forged magnesium wheels?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
wornoutsupra;1653084 said:
17x10 american racing sidewinders

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

wornoutsupra;1652965 said:
they are just the rear 2 if i had all 4 i probably wouldnt sell them but yea lol i just want them gone at this point ha

You must have a 4x4 truck?:dunno:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
wornoutsupra;1653125 said:
ha ha I had fender flares on and they looked sexy as hell but I just got tired of looking at them

Would you consider sharing the sexiness by posting pics?

wornoutsupra

i gots a poopra
Jan 23, 2010
canton,ohio
idk maybe if you ask nicely and dont be mean::toothless:: lol well these are all pics of it still a project so the tires on there are not the tires I ran last yr
p1653244_1.jpg

p1653244_2.jpg

p1653244_3.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
suprayo;1655488 said:
A buddy of mine had the sports max which i belive is now xxr. And hes rear wheel developed a flat spot after a year of driving.

Yes, sportmax is now XXR, and tires get flat spots not wheels. Unless he hit something.