Would I regret removing TEMS?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
on my 92 it has TEMS and struts are only a few thousand old. you can feel it change on braking and accel.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I replaced my super low milleage TEMS with coilovers and never looked back.

It all depends on what your tastes are and what you intend to do with your car. For me I don't care much for comfort and I like a super stiff ride with minimal body roll. Plus I only drive it 1500 miles a year.

If you daily drive your supra I'd recommend sticking with TEMS.
If your TEMS are shot and you want to retain the TEMS feature your only choice are tokico ilumina 2 struts and some type of lowering spring. Your other low cost alternative that would yield increased performance and still maintain comfort would be bilstein struts with your stock springs. (You can lower your ride height with these too)

As for the Tems, I could feel the difference when the system stiffened under sharp turns, heavy braking/acceleration. Its a nice system that offers good performance with comfort. Contrary, it is easy to exceed the limitations of the TEMS if you push them hard around corners. Once I went coilovers, the performance aspect went way up but comfort levels went down the toilet on anything but decent roads. As I stated earlier, it all depends on your tastes and what your looking to do with your supra.

NAS

Jul 10, 2009
Socal
Poodles;1355407 said:
Comparing blown TEMS to new non-TEMS isn't a fair comparison.

My car didn't have it and I even looked into retrofitting it as it's a luxury GT car and TEMS is nice for cruising.

If you're going to gut your car and race it, ditch it, if you want a nice comfortable car, keep it.

i ditched tems in my car... i could tell the difference between normal and sport but the koni adjustables even on the firmest setting arent too stiff to daily drive. atleast for my taste. i will only be on a track maybe once a month and i dont regret getting rid of the silly sport button. its just another thing to fail... the less electronics the better

Failure14

Banned
May 29, 2009
Ohio
How can you tell if the TEMS is blown? i have TEMS on my 90T
and when i push between the 2 buttons i can hear a little clicking on the outside
but honestly i cant tell the difference what so ever on both settings?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Jounce the car or if you feel no difference between the two setting and you hear the actuators moving then they are most likely blown.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Yeah I have to admit that TEMS in my car makes ZERO difference. Whether on good roads or bad, fast or slow, hard cornering or not....My tems work, and I know they do, there is just no noticable difference. Plus I figure when I scrap the weight,I might take a couple of pounds off the car. I can find some better usage of that slot where the switch is for something like neons for car shows and maybe even a nitrous switch.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
To the OP

Originally you spoke about switching to coilovers but then you mentioned budget issues. If you don't have the budget for coilovers its ok to go with a decent shock and spring combination. I have always been a fan of running the koni or bilstein dampers with a quality spring over the lower quality coilovers. As far as TEMSs you have one option for dampers, the Tokico shocks keep it, otherwise your going to lose it. It depends on what your looking at doing with the car. I can tell you this however, you have a great sway bar combination with the whitelines, those give you a great head start in the handling department. Is your car going to be raced in anyway? Do you plan on lowering the car with springs or just looking to replace the dampers.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
PSST: Check the date on the original post.

I own the car in question now. It's lowered, tems is LONG gone, and I don't miss it one bit :D