Would I regret removing TEMS?

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
Has anyone removed there tems controller? Does it help at all? Does it change the handling of the car? I want to do coilovers but I'm debating because of the TEMS. What do you guys think?

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
I went from a car that had TEMS to a car that doesn't, and I honestly haven't noticed that much of a difference. The cars had over 130k miles though so its possible that the parts are so worn that I just can't tell the difference.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
If you're changing out the suspension, the TEMS system isn't going to be doing anything anyways. It's only applicable if you get the stock TEMS shocks or the Tokico Illuminas.

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
Cz.;1354587 said:
If you're changing out the suspension, the TEMS system isn't going to be doing anything anyways. It's only applicable if you get the stock TEMS shocks or the Tokico Illuminas.

Well i want to get the tokico illuminas but i'm thinking about the HP's now for budget reasons. I have whiteline sways front and rear and I'm going to be running MK4 turbo wheels. So handling should be good. If I disconnect the tem actuators will the LED's for the tems on the dash bug out all the time?

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
they wont come on. tems isnt really worth keeping. any aftermarket suspension should be better than what tems could hope to achieve on its firmest setting

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yeah, my 89 and 92 don't have tems, but the 86.5 does, and I don't notice any drastic handling improvements..

but of course, that could be due to the fact that the damn car is 23 years old, I bet if I got all new bushings, tires, struts, springs, etc she'd handle like a go cart..

we'll see..

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Before I replaced my struts and springs, The car was unsafe to drive over 100 mph, after, I've had it up to 140 so far, and it's solid as a rock. This is with original bushings all around. For my money, the Tokico Illuminas work great, and so does tems.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Comparing blown TEMS to new non-TEMS isn't a fair comparison.

My car didn't have it and I even looked into retrofitting it as it's a luxury GT car and TEMS is nice for cruising.

If you're going to gut your car and race it, ditch it, if you want a nice comfortable car, keep it.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Poodles;1355407 said:
Comparing blown TEMS to new non-TEMS isn't a fair comparison.

My car didn't have it and I even looked into retrofitting it as it's a luxury GT car and TEMS is nice for cruising.

If you're going to gut your car and race it, ditch it, if you want a nice comfortable car, keep it.

+1 listen to poodles

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
You don't have to keep the TEMS to have a comfortable car, the springs have just as much importance on that aspect as the shocks do whether or not they are TEMS compatible.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
That'd be me! I LOVE the TEMS system. Working, good struts makes a noticeable difference when doing high speed cruises. There was a noticeable difference in firmness between the three settings on my '88 with good, working TEMS shocks.

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
just get some new shocks that actually suit the way you drive and the roads you drive on... they'll be much better suited to your application than even brand new TEMS shocks would have been...

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I swapped out my new illuminas and eibach blues into my '90 with no tems. I just left them on the firmest setting. It seems to handle quite well for a low cost alternative. I didn't seem to miss the adjustment was my point.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
They are expensive, but you can still have high quality coilovers with adjustable shocks. Tein Flex with EDFC (electronic damping force controller). I cruise on the softest setting and crank up the firmness for aggressive driving.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
tekdeus;1360458 said:
They are expensive, but you can still have high quality coilovers with adjustable shocks. Tein Flex with EDFC (electronic damping force controller). I cruise on the softest setting and crank up the firmness for aggressive driving.

If I could afford coil-overs, that's the setup I would get. They are very expensive though, especially with the EDFC

dogdrake

Oct 25, 2008
Gadsden Alabama
I went from worn out stock tems to the tokiko illuminas and ebach springs it was a huge difference and even better with the front and rear suspension techniques sway bars it's bad ass. You won't regret keeping tems if your planning on daily driving . If all you do is autocross its a different story coilovers would be better so you can transfer weight.