Wondering if it was worth it...

S

s1gnal

Hey,

I am new to 'Supramania' and over the last 6months (lost my licence) have slowly started to swap a 1jz-gte into my ma70 supra. i havnt had it running yet and i have never been in a 1jz powered car before.
Now (after im nearly finished) people have started to tell me that because of the weight its not going to be very fast!
I am hopeing they are very wrong..
so for all the people that own one or have been in one im after your opinion? My dad has a version 7 wrx sti which i think is very fast. how would it compare to this? Just any opinions would be much appreciated!

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
1jz: retard cam gears,2jz cam shaft,440cc,and 1.1 bar boost find a better match then wrx cti (what a joke). It will be an awesome ride.

May 31, 2005
Omaha
GHEY...lol, put on mods...then race someone....also....tell them that the MK4 is just as heavy and...well.....we all know what they can do at a full weight.

trev

I

itr206

im impressed with mine so far. I ran with an STI that went 12.80 and we were dead even on every run. I started a little behind him too so we could get it on camera starting off better.

I

itr206

T701jz said:
Are u running with LSD and what ratio?
If you are refferng to me. I am running the stock rear that came with my car
Just dropped the motor in and ehxuast work and tuned it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
What was your Supra stock?

If it was a turbo chassis, it will have the LSD rear end. Or if it had the sport package on the NA engine, it'll also have it. What tranny are you running behind the 1J? Are you going to run the stock twins, or upgraded twins, or going single?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
300hp 7m v 300hp 1jz

7M can run a taller diff gear due to the torque
1JZ run a lower gear and rev it harder
(setup right probably accelerate much the same)

7M at highway speeds will be revving slower
1JZ will be spinning harder
(Fuel economy is debatable as even revving slower the 7m is still 500cc bigger so unless it's a huge ratio difference there shouldn't be much difference)

7M Age and inherent issues
1JZ " " " "
(7M's have the well known HG issue that with a proper build becomes a non issue but are getting a bit hard to find as the JDM supply is starting to run low,
1JZ have a much better design HG stock and don't suffer from the incorrect head bolt torque, supply seems plentiful)

For a DD I think a 7M is the better choice in a MK3 due to the torque but set up right and driven to it's strengths a 1JZ would be fun!
(comparison would be a 4 stroke dirt bike(7M) to a 2 stroke(1JZ) )

I

itr206

GrimJack said:
What was your Supra stock?

If it was a turbo chassis, it will have the LSD rear end. Or if it had the sport package on the NA engine, it'll also have it. What tranny are you running behind the 1J? Are you going to run the stock twins, or upgraded twins, or going single?

Again if you mean me?
Mine was a turbo orig. So I have LSD and the stock rear and shit. Im running the R154, Nothing special. I am running the stock twins as of right now and have all my single stuff and fuel and FMIC and piping sitting waiting for install

I can tell you though, the twins are a blast at like 1-1.1bar.
They really wake up that for sure.
The gearing is a little too wide for me though. Id prefer tighter.
But we'll see how it goes with another 300whp or so on a big single

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
The stock turbo LSD is 3.73:1 - this makes for a higher top speed and "taller gears", but you will take off faster with a 4.11 or 4.30 diff, if you can get your hands on one.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Spinning harder! Where do you get this information from? I remember my 7M wanting to die and self distruct just cruzing in third at about 5K RPM, Hell my 1J wants to keep pulling past 5K. So witch one is spinning harder?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Read what I posted......

If the 1JZ is geared to take advantage of it's higher RPM limit and to make up for it's lack of low down torque compared to a 7M it will be SPINNING HARDER at highway speeds....

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
itr206, If you spend more time reading the threads about the 7m you will come to appreciate my advice to you. Guys doubleing and trippleing thier HP more then the engine is capable of with out doing any thing with thier engine.Then, they whin about it and start blameing the car. If you start to know more then the mfg. engineering personel of this engine you'll be the first one to post and whin regarding the 1jz. Good luck with ur 600...1000 hp1jz.

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
IJ. said:
For a DD I think a 7M is the better choice in a MK3 due to the torque but set up right and driven to it's strengths a 1JZ would be fun!

nothing beats the reialibity and power curve of a 1j. IMO its a kick ass daily driver and loves my abuse.

s1gna - I have 2j cams, intake and exhaust and have taken two sti's from rolls ;) the 1j power curve with the log gears is amazing.

I

itr206

T701JZ,. I wont blame the car if it breaks at Hi hp. I know the risks, but the motor should take almost anything I can throw at it.

Oh yea for the topic starter. I rocked a modded Evo last night too.
Yes it was worth it even in almost stock form to be running with hi 12sec cars.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
psifactor said:
nothing beats the reialibity and power curve of a 1j. IMO its a kick ass daily driver and loves my abuse.

s1gna - I have 2j cams, intake and exhaust and have taken two sti's from rolls ;) the 1j power curve with the log gears is amazing.
How about a 2jz? ;)