Window trim refurbishing

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
So I officially hate my moulding and Im determined to make it less of an eye sore. I tried painting it, but it was in vein as I didnt do the proper preperation.

Even after the paint was just laid down you could see the difference in elevation where the old paint/coating was and wasn't.

I know proper is to buy new OEM. Not gonna happen. Not now atleast. Has anyone had any sucess with a sandblast and powdercoat? How does the reveal look without the small rubber seal? Will it not keep the likes of pine needles trapped between the trim and body?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
IIRC, one can still get them from Toyota.. the issue is that they are rather expensive (especially considering everything else one could be doing to the car with that money).

personally, I think I'm gonna follow RazoE's advice and try "plasti-dip" in an attempt to make them at least appear presentable.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The main issue is they actually act as a seal to keep water and everything else out of the seal around the windows. I feel your pain though, mine used to be OK, but the Texas sun is not kind...

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
So would it be best to apply a thin beat of the silicon before you reinstall the moulding? Or would it be just as well off applying it after to the edge? Have you seen results from other cars doing this?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
well, I wouldn't remove them period.. so, I will be applying the silicone to where the edge meets the window glass (being careful to remove any excess that would affect aesthetics). I have never seen any others like this, but I'm sure they exist.

the ones on my car haven't been sealing the window for who knows how many years and appear to be fine. so, I understand what Poodles is saying, but perhaps other folks feel it's unnecessary to seal it to that level despite the original intent (?).

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
This needs to be done on my supra as well. The entire hatch molding has peeled and in turn rusting out. Short of buying a new hatch, I don't believe toyota still sells the hatch trim, however, toyota still sells all other molding on the car - windshield, doors, roof etc.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
I cut mine off with a razor, gonna go back and make a cf wrap for it. That will fill in the gap and protect the part, I have an extra from my parts car that will be the mold then I will use some kind of adhesive to attach the pieces. I don't know if I will try double sided adhesive like trim adhesive or just go with an epoxy. The only problem with the 2 sided adhesive is the thickness, so probably epoxy. If I ever get any free time I will make two, one for mine one for my wifes, and if there easy and cheep enough to make I will try to make some more to sell. Again free time is not a luxury I have any more.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Poodles;1630227 said:
Doesn't work on the entire car.

yeah, aftermarket seals do look better IMO.. but combine those with the stock hatch molding (unless someone also figured out a solution for that), and that makes for what I consider to be an ugly combination.

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
is the window trim called the reveal moulding. has anyone tried painting like they said and putting slicone underneath the moulding. mine the paint cracking and leaking causing it to leak into the car. i was hoping that painting will solve the problem and save some cash

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Toyota still sells the moldings. I bought the upper hatch molding a few months ago, I think it was around $80, and includes the window washer. I haven't got the courage to actually try to remove the old one yet. Looks kind of tricky from all the clips built-in to the new one.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Atleast if you break one of the old clips you dont have to worry about finding new ones and having the new piece should help you to figure how to take the old one off