Why you can't try to teach people about oil

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Poodles;1334415 said:
hey hey, I'm one of those "punks"

um... no you're not. the kidiots I'm talking about had their little mini mafia wars and all that nonsense... it's more of a "clique" than a car enthusiast club

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i went to the advanced autoparts near my house with my friend. i went to buy some ow30 based on what i read from jetjock and jdub and a few others who sounded knowlegable.

i was gona buy the castrol hd30 and my friend looked at me like i was a crack head and the guy at the register recommended 20w40 and also looked at me like i was high.

in the end i went to grab some 5w30 and the same 2 people said my motors too old and has lots of miles you cant run 5w30 anymore get at least 10w30 so thats what i got.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
beachsupra;1338762 said:
i went to the advanced autoparts near my house with my friend. i went to buy some ow30 based on what i read from jetjock and jdub and a few others who sounded knowlegable.

i was gona buy the castrol hd30 and my friend looked at me like i was a crack head and the guy at the register recommended 20w40 and also looked at me like i was high.

in the end i went to grab some 5w30 and the same 2 people said my motors too old and has lots of miles you cant run 5w30 anymore get at least 10w30 so thats what i got.

If the Toyota factory service manual recommends it, use it. Otherwise, assume your friends or the guy behind the counter at the parts store doesn't know what they're talking about. It's a harsh truth, but one you should take to heart.

On that note, what the hell is with those guys and using ATF as 0w30 engine oil?

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
beachsupra;1338762 said:

Keep in mind that most of the people who work at Advanced Auto and Autozone (we here like to call it the Twilight Zone due to a few horror stories going around) are not trained technicians and are simply going off of what they "think" is right. Not to say that there are some smart cookies behind those counters, but in the end they are simply trying to sell parts to the DIY consumer.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
I hear you man, went through the same stuff on my boards.

wow, even though rx7 guy is on your side, he's wrong too.

he said: "when cold the oil acts as a 10w meaning...when its cold its not as thick and when its hot it gets thicker..."

maybe telling them that their engine was designed for an oil that behaves like a 30weight oil at operating temperature and at lower temperatures say, 65 Degrees F a 0W oil is still many times thicker than what the engine was intended to use.

take note that there is no downside to running the lowest "cold" viscosity as possible and a SERIOUS downside to running an oil that is too viscous before operating temp.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I actually couldn't believe how you posted the CORRECT information, with excellent references and they still blow it off.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Its funny how these guys comment on what race engines could and couldn't run and they've probably never been around one.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ You got that right...most guys you run into a "wanna be" race car driver that spout off the worst BS about oil. Here's a short interview with Rusty Wallace on the subject of synthetic oil and the weights they use in NASCAR. Note the part about: "we don't race anything over 30 weight nowadays" ;)

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2313.shtml

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Most people probably wouldnt believe the technology that actually goes into nascar. I was very suprised when I was in school.

Thats a great article jdub, that most people should read. Since it seems like most people seem to think they are running 50w in racing.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NASCAR teams have not run a 50W (or a 40W for that matter) oil in a long time...think about it: With the way NASCAR rules are concerning every tiny detail of the car, even a few HP advantage is important. Thinner oils mean less fluid friction losses...on the street, we see it as improved gas mileage....on the track, it can be enough to put you ahead by a nose ;)

Of course, if you point that out to the type crowd the subject of this thread is about, the response will be: "NASCAR and import racing engines are way different..." Yeah, right.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
There's nothing wrong with not knowing the right oil to use until shown proof and told otherwise but it's another thing to just stick your head up your own ass and come up with something stupid like half of these ass hats.
(thanks jdub for showing me the light).....