Why must I sometimes put R154 in 1st gear to get into reverse?

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
I am in the middle of a 1JZ swap and I have just finished cleaning up my R-154 from the 7MGTE. I have the front and rear main seals for the tranny that I am going to put in, but I want to make sure I complete all preventative maintenance I can to the tranny before it gets mated to the 1J. I remember (it's been some time since I drove the supra), that sometimes when attempting to put the shifter in reverse to back up, it won't go, unless I put it into first gear as well. A couple of my dad's mustangs would do this as well. What is this an indication of? Is something worn that I can easily replace without rebuilding the whole tranny? Thanks for any and all info and help!

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
nctexan;1512724 said:
I am in the middle of a 1JZ swap and I have just finished cleaning up my R-154 from the 7MGTE. I have the front and rear main seals for the tranny that I am going to put in, but I want to make sure I complete all preventative maintenance I can to the tranny before it gets mated to the 1J. I remember (it's been some time since I drove the supra), that sometimes when attempting to put the shifter in reverse to back up, it won't go, unless I put it into first gear as well. A couple of my dad's mustangs would do this as well. What is this an indication of? Is something worn that I can easily replace without rebuilding the whole tranny? Thanks for any and all info and help!

They round off the teeth from use . there are no scyncros on reverse .

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supranasty;1514843 said:
They round off the teeth from use . there are no scyncros on reverse .

WTF are you on about "round off teeth"?

OP: If you have a worn box or badly adjusted clutch the input shaft can drag a little (thick cold Oil will do this also) turning the cluster gear which will make reverse clash on engagement, pushing the shift toward a forward gear stalls the cluster allowing reverse to engage while everything is stopped, wait a few seconds and everything will spin again and the crunch returns.

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
Thanks IJ My answer was wrong, as per his question .You have it correct . The Reverse Gears do round off causing poor meshing though because of the input shaft drag or spin. I have redressed reverse in my gearbox with a drimmel tool to return the edge of the gear to near original form which is lost from usege in 100k mi.trannys . Just something I've learnt from rebuilding three gearboxes and TIPS I got from pros LIKE You .I should give better answers, 5am was kind of early .

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ummm if the cluster is rotating when you try to engage reverse you could have dremelled hello kitty shapes on the teeth and it's still going to clash ;)

Not many people here would have heard of non syncro crash boxes let alone driven them, you have no idea just how good modern boxes are :D

supranasty

Yo Daddy
Apr 12, 2005
jamaica ny
Agreed , The tip I was told only helps it. Sticking your finger in a "fan" is hard too . LOL
nctexan , I would upgrade with marlin crawler if its an old high milege box. If you plan to make some high power mods to the 1JZ for sure.

Last edited:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
IJ.;1515205 said:
Not many people here would have heard of non syncro crash boxes let alone driven them, you have no idea just how good modern boxes are :D

Ha !
Brings back memories of learning to drive in my father's 53 chevy truck.......
Had to double clutch that old dog even on up-shifts.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
IJ.;1515205 said:
Ummm if the cluster is rotating when you try to engage reverse you could have dremelled hello kitty shapes on the teeth and it's still going to clash ;)

synchros are a gift from god....... I had a 1937GMC truck that I drove from where I purchased it to my home 4 miles away. I quickly learned what double clutching and rev matching was all about.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
So from what I've read, it's a pretty common condition, that does not necessarily need to be fixed to ensure proper operation of the tranny.

I'm not going for any big HP numbers, no more than 350. The tranny has about 155k on it, I'm the second owner and I've never abused it, the first guy was an older man in FL.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
IJ, my R154 did this until I replaced the shift bushings, as that my stock 'green' ones were apparently shredded. With the marlin crawler bushings I never have to go to 1st to get to reverse anymore, it just pops right in. Could this be the problem?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
IJ.;1515205 said:

I can't say I've ever driven non syncroed transmission car but unfortunately a new breed of ignorance is resultant of modern transmissions. I love listening to people tell me they dont need to rev match or double clutch when driving hard because they have syncros in their trans. Then they complain that the syncros were defective when they go bad. Notoriously 3rd gear on hondas.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Double clutching on a tranny with syncros = retarded.

Rev matching is for smoother shifting and car control (heal toe in corners).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That's the only reason to learn to do it is if the tranny is fucked and you have to limp home.

A properly working syncro requires zero rev matching.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Poodles;1517303 said:
So do you not use your brakes?

No but I do minimize their use when driving casually. Thats primarily for fuel economy though. If I burn up my brakes, I can change them...doneski. I trash a syncro, I have to live with a gremlin or remove the trans and take it apart, which means downtime, workspace, tools, money, and experience that I dont have. I could pay to have it done but again, downtime, and money I dont have.