Why I own a Supra

Alex L.

Not quite sure where to post this, so I figured the MKIV section would be my best bet. :)

Took the '94 out for a ride today. For those of you who don't know (which I am assuming is a large majority of you), my car is a PHR stage 2+ (67mm) single turbo car, built head, MAP ECU2, etc. etc. As you can see from my sig, the car put down close to 550hp and a low torque #. It's your basic street Supra that will be receiving an AEM Series 2 in the very near future.

Out near where I live (BFE Ohio :p) there are a few roads that I travel regularly and use for street testing. This one is a good 1/2 - 3/4 mile long stretch of straight road. Not good for high speed testing due to the hills in the road further down, but great for using the iPod Dynolicious app to get baseline times. I was out for coffee earlier in the afternoon and decided to take a ride down Testing Lane. :)

I took a ride up the road to make sure it was free of debris and traffic, both of which the road was completely void of. I turned around and came to my starting point so I could mess with my iPod and get the Dynolicious set up for this car. Much to my chagrin, the Dynolicious software had been deleted off of my iPod. I put my iPod back in the center console, turned the traction control off, and took off.

It's been around 75 degrees today, sunny, with humidity just a little bit over 50%; I would venture to say near perfect boosted car weather. The car spun a little bit in 1st, bit in 2nd, and I was off through 3rd and hit 4th. I let off at about 120 and coasted the rest of the way down the road.

As I came to the stop sign at the end of the road, it was clear to me why I have this car. I have never had more fun driving then I do in this car. Never have I been impressed EVERY single time I have driven a car before this one. Yes, there are other cars out there that are more efficient, can go faster with less horsepower, are rarer, etc. Despite all of these facts and my various attempts to get involved and learn about other cars, I always find myself circling back to Supras. It still brings a smile to my face that people will go out of their way to look at the car, compliment it, or strike up conversation about it. In all reality, it's really just a 15 year old Toyota with a few modifications done to it.

I look forward to spending many years with this car, competing in many motorsports events, and learning to drive the car as more ponies are added and my dyno graphs grow steeper and steeper.

There's not an interesting story with this thread, nothing exciting really, just me admitting that I have regained all of the affection that I have for these cars with one simple drive. There's not many cars that can do that to a man. :)

Sideways_bob

Banned
Jul 8, 2009
KY
Yeah man those cars are amazing looking cars. Everything about the mkiii and iv are crazy. Ive never rode in a mkiv before or driven one but i would like to in the future.

Gotta love those old toyotas

Alex L.

If you ever make it up north, I'd be more than happy to take you for a ride.

That's another thing, the reactions that a Supra evokes from it's passengers. I've heard that it feels like everything from a jet to a roller coaster. :icon_lol:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Alex L.;1367772 said:
I have never had more fun driving then I do in this car. Never have I been impressed EVERY single time I have driven a car before this one. Yes, there are other cars out there that are more efficient, can go faster with less horsepower, are rarer, etc. Despite all of these facts and my various attempts to get involved and learn about other cars, I always find myself circling back to Supras. It still brings a smile to my face that people will go out of their way to look at the car, compliment it, or strike up conversation about it. In all reality, it's really just a 15 year old Toyota with a few modifications done to it.

And that about covers it for me. My Supra makes me smile every time I drive it. And I've owned other fast cars before, from a Trans Am to a Lotus Turbo Esprit. None of them have ever made me smile every time I drive them.

termn8r2000

I'LL BE BACK..........
Apr 14, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I have to agree. I purchased my salvage titled '89T from a local junkyard when I came across it while looking for parts for an '81 RX7 that I had at the time. I had always wanted a turbo Supra and this one had a mint interior, slight body damage, a slightly misligned RL wheel and a running 7MGTE. I bought the car, had it delivered to my house and had it on the road after spending $40.00 on a rear lower control arm. After the first drive I was hooked! The car remains mostly stock after 12 years, but I love driving it drive it daily with the exception of snow days (I am more concerned with someone else hitting it than me wiping out). I feel the car is a good mix of sport and comfort and it remains a blast to drive.

Sideways_bob

Banned
Jul 8, 2009
KY
I dont know about anyone else. the popup headlights did it for me lol. I bought it before i knew it was a L6 RWD. that just made the situation better

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
Alex L.;1367819 said:
If you ever make it up north, I'd be more than happy to take you for a ride.

That's another thing, the reactions that a Supra evokes from it's passengers. I've heard that it feels like everything from a jet to a roller coaster. :icon_lol:

LOL I took my grandma for a ride in the supra and she said it felt like a roller coaster. And i've had a couple different people tell me the same thing, but I've never been around a IV. I've seen a couple going through columbus, but never rode in you or anything like that.

But its nice to see another ohioian

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Sideways_bob;1367798 said:
Yeah man those cars are amazing looking cars. Everything about the mkiii and iv are crazy. Ive never rode in a mkiv before or driven one but i would like to in the future.

Gotta love those old toyotas
now that you mention it, I don't think i've ever been in a mkiv either... and my mkiii was one of the fastest cars i've been in (I didn't concider it fast, only mildly quick(est. 350bhp, 375btq)) but, man, i totally feel your love for supra's... they're just so classy, and the ride quality is just so nice, and just to hear the turbo spool puts a giant smile on your face :biglaugh: :-( wish mine wasn't stolen tho... man, just thinkin about it... i really miss the howl of the open wastegate, and the ridiculously loud backfires, lol.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
shit... gotta look up the thread... looks like it was right at the end of march/beginning of april

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94183

well.. at least I'm lucky enough to know who stole it, so even if I don't get it back, the situation will be resolved one way or another, if you catch my drift... still kinda sucks, cause that was all I had... I owned that truck in front of the supra, but sold it since I couldn't find work... don't even have a car now... back to ridin a bike like i'm 12 yrs. old, lol

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The beat up, worn out turbo I had last year put a smile on my face every time I hit ~3k rpm and it just starts to pull harder and harder.

Can't wait to build my own GTE with a few upgrades. Life's so good... :)

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
my dad's reaction to mine was great. he excitedly stated "great toyota, great buy. i want one!"
this coming from a man that owns nothing but toyotas and that has clearly stated numerous times in my life that cars are nothing but a to b transportation.

never in my life has he ever lusted for any car, never expected him to say that. from him it is a great compliment

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Alex L.;1368953 said:
Sucks man. You gotten anything to replace it?
no, lol... I can't find work... well, I can, but let's say I don't have enough $ to re-locate right now... not sure what to do... but, rest assured, I'll have another supra pretty soon here.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I live in mansfield, about 35-60 minutes away from columbus... just depends on how you drive. I haven't made it to columbus to hangout with the car yet.