Why don't more MK3's Drag race?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
upgradedsupra;1238104 said:
lol what a lax track. That is dangerous having loose tools in the back of the car. Safety first. ;)

I just have a small bag of tools that closes, smaller than a shoe box that is always in my car for that "Just in Case" moment!:icon_bigg

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
suprahero;1238111 said:
Safety is no accident..................sorry, I couldn't resist.

Our track will let you go down it with twelve people in the car if they'll fit. We don't have any type of tech at all.

He does not lie! I have witnessed this at his track. It was a damn shame to see 6 teenagers in a 4 door Honda rollin on 13's, hanging out the window joy riding down the track.

My track has no tech, but they will pull you out if they notice anything dangerous. And they don't put up with assinine stunts like that. They will allow 1 rider on the 1/8 mile track.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
God, tracks here have pretty severe scrutineering before you're even allowed on the track.

If you run a 10, you are then faced with even MORE stringent inspections and must have extra safety parts - no ifs, buts or maybes about it.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
frontierguy25;1238083 said:
8.18@91mph with a 2.0 60 and only 19-20psi on pump! full weight with spare and tools. When I go back, I'll have 22psi and some race gas and no spare and no tools.

8.1 is a good time! i know your running the 58mm turbo, what other supporting mods?
just curious cause im running a very similar turbo, lipp boss 62mm.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
johnathan1;1238192 said:
You've obviously never ridden in or driven a pristine MK3...they are VERY luxurious.

FYI my mk3 IS in pristine condition... but it seems you have never ridden in or driven a real luxury car... There is a very big difference.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I intend to do a bit of everything with my car when it's done. When that'll be? Meh, your guess is as good as mine...

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
frontierguy25;1238119 said:
I just have a small bag of tools that closes, smaller than a shoe box that is always in my car for that "Just in Case" moment!:icon_bigg

That is ok for cruising but you are not "cruising" at the track. If you crash, those small shoe box tools could end up in the side of your head. Again, safety first. As for someone being able to have 12 people in the car? :3d_frown:

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
CyFi6;1238246 said:
FYI my mk3 IS in pristine condition... but it seems you have never ridden in or driven a real luxury car... There is a very big difference.

Actually, I have owned several examples of the benchmark premium luxury sedan known as the Mercedes S-class. So I think it is safe to say that I know what a luxury car should be. The Supra IS very luxurious for a GT.

p1238317_1.jpg

p1238317_2.jpg

Do you consider these REAL luxury cars? You should. These were both my daily drivers, in face the Blue one still is.

Didn't mean to threadjack, but idiots must be dealt with.

IndyMK3

I Hate Godzilla Too!!!!
May 15, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
suprafanatic;1238324 said:
I'd have to say my supra seats are pretty darn comfy to me :p

hehe so are mine... the only thing that hurts when i get done driving is my legs from sitting to long if ive been driving for a while.... aka chi2k8 cough cough... BUT!!!! it was SO worth it... lolz

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Because dragracing gets expensive fast, and the the majarity of MK3 owners don't spend lots of money on there cars.
The more power you make, the more things start breaking. I'm on my 3rd clutch, blew a metal headgasket, broke both motor mounts, and recently I just broke a valve spring over reving(I think). Luckly the rest of the car is fairly durable at 500rwhp.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
MRSUPRA;1238382 said:
Because dragracing gets expensive fast, and the the majarity of MK3 owners don't spend lots of money on there cars.
The more power you make, the more things start breaking. I'm on my 3rd clutch, blew a metal headgasket, broke both motor mounts, and recently I just broke a valve spring over reving(I think). Luckly the rest of the car is fairly durable at 500rwhp.

Broke a spring? Heck, I was revving to 8K with stock springs! (although not stock anymore) Truth is, drag racing does break parts. lol

My list off the top of my head:

OEM crank damper (now custom ATI)
Sheared off flywheel bolts
Rear sub frame
Traction bar
Turbo split in half
CF drive shaft
Clutch

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
/\I will find out for sure once I get my head off.-But I have Brian Crower springs, so I wouldn't doubt it. Nice list BTW.