Why don't more MK3's Drag race?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
As the title says.... What's the excuses?? I have been having a blast lately drag racing! It is a lot of fun to pull up to a domestic and run with them. My car is Basic BPU and I love taking to the strip!!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
400, 500, 600, 800HP.........Nah I don't want to race. I'm not really sure what it is. If my car was capable, I'd be at the track on most weekends. Hopefully my new clutch will cure a lot of my ills. But another 500 mile break in isn't really looking like fun right now. This time I finally bought a new matching clutch kit. So far I tried used, then non matching, going the MKIII (cheap way) with no luck at all. I finally laid out the cash for a Driftmotion Action Stage 3, so hopefully I'll get something to hold now. I want to race.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
It is just like asking why don't more MK3's road race? There are probably more that go to the strip then there are at road courses.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
nearest strip is an hour away... so if my car breaks im serisouly fucked. especially if its something big.

other thing is i dont really care for drag racing... oh and the fact im pretty broke doesnt help anything much.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think its more the fact that most of the people that buy these cars are cheap :) They buy the car looking for a cheap fun car to drive, but arnt really willing to dish out large amounts of cash to make the car track worthy.

There is a handfull of people that are on the other end of the spectrum! I am hopeing to have my car done by mid summer this year to make a few shake down runs, and work out any bugs. Setup for next year will consist of a stock 2jz bottem end, gt47, aem, and a full cage certified to 8.50's.

Ryan

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Janz, you might want to build the 2J if you plan on going that fast. ;)

Drag racing is fun and like anything, costs money which many people are not willing to do. I personally love it and do it from time to time. The Supra is a great car as they are good for both drag and strip although not really intended for it.

Duane

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
Personally I don't like to drag race. I have done i few AutoX events and Really want do some trackdays at the local circuit track and just can't burn that much money right now. It pretty much boils down to not having the money to invest.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I don't think that any car is really built for the drag strip, everyone just brings their car and moddifies it to run good at the track. Quite honestly our cars aren't that much different from Mustangs (yes I said it). Other than our IRS and Tems, but Cobra had IRS too and most people ditch the TEMS. I don't look at a Supra and think Luxury at all. It's more like Wow there is another one running!!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
well it is winter you know :p cant drag race right now.. i do in the spring and summer from time to time.. Im really looking forward to going to the track when it warms up, My car has completly changed over the winter months :) curious to see what she can do now. However, i really need a new wheel and tire combination. Somthing alot wider and stickier. I cant hook up at all, i start to get traction in 4th gear.. sometimes not even then..lol big fail.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
suprafanatic;1237899 said:
well it is winter you know :p cant drag race right now.. i do in the spring and summer from time to time.. Im really looking forward to going to the track when it warms up, My car has completly changed over the winter months :) curious to see what she can do now. However, i really need a new wheel and tire combination. Somthing alot wider and stickier. I cant hook up at all, i start to get traction in 4th gear.. sometimes not even then..lol big fail.

What kind of power you putting down nowadays?

lppro

LP Performance & off road
Apr 21, 2007
Sugar Hill, Georgia, United States
i havent been yet because i cant afford to buy slicks or DR's. and i know i will spin all the way through the traps with my current tire setup. but hopefully in the next few months ill get a nice set of tires....

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
upgradedsupra;1237902 said:
What kind of power you putting down nowadays?

Well i have a good guestimate of 500hp *give or take some* with my new setup on high boost (about 25-27psi) with race gas. Last time i dyno'd i had alot of kinks that needed to be worked out, i made 370hp to the wheels. The kinks were my timing was way off.. it was at 0 degrees:3d_frown:. I had a good sized boost leak that i found after the dyno:cry:, which would explain why boost wasnt holding at all up top. So those two factors really caused me a great power loss on the dyno. Also i had a crappy down pipe, I now have a divorced down pipe.. and i absolutly love it, it really added some power according to the butt dyno..lol.
If your wondering why im guessing 500hp?? I say this because after getting all those problems fixed I raced My friend Matt. He has a mk3, 2j with a single T70 turbo, stinger EMS set up. He has 3 different stages of boost, Stage 1: 500-550hp ...stage 2: 614hp... stage 3 677hp. When we raced on the interstate he was on stage 1, so he was making roughly between 500-550HP. We went from a 65mph roll and I pulled him some all the way up to 140mph :biglaugh: I also still had the old down pipe set up when we raced, i now have a divorced down pipe.. and the car is much faster than it was before. So thats why im guessing around 500hp.. I know thats not an accurate way of doing it, but we'll just have to wait till I can get on a dyno :)

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
It's funny to hear everyone's responses. Before I had the wheels and tires I have now, I was running 1.9-2.0 60's with my BFG street tires and having a blast! I have all the same mods as a lot of you I just have a pair of MT/Welds now to go to the track with that I bought for $300 off a Mustang friend.

I live in TX so The 1/8 tracks are open year round and the 1/4 mile opens up on Sat and I'll be shooting for low 12's high 11's with 20 psi with my 58mm JT58!!! I was picking up 22-24mph in the last 1/8 and now I have about 50rwhp more so I'm looking to pick up 26-30mph in the last 1/8 and be close to 120. Oh yeah I'm still on the Lex AFM too!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
what times did you run in the 1/8 mile? iam also hoping for 11's or 12's in the 1/4 mile when i run this spring.. that all depends on if i get a good tire set up by then though.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
8.18@91mph with a 2.0 60 and only 19-20psi on pump! full weight with spare and tools. When I go back, I'll have 22psi and some race gas and no spare and no tools.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
frontierguy25;1238083 said:
8.18@91mph with a 2.0 60 and only 19-20psi on pump! full weight with spare and tools. When I go back, I'll have 22psi and some race gas and no spare and no tools.

lol what a lax track. That is dangerous having loose tools in the back of the car. Safety first. ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Safety is no accident..................sorry, I couldn't resist.

Our track will let you go down it with twelve people in the car if they'll fit. We don't have any type of tech at all.