white smoke out of the intake..

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
While trying to start my car up, after a couple of times of it trying to turn over, it puffed white smoke out of the intake at the throttle body. What does this mean?

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mkIII213;913548 said:
After aligning everything I took out the distributor and the timing was correct. Would something else be causing the engine to do that?

How did you set the timing? With a timing light and the jumper wire?

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
AJ'S 88NA;913569 said:
How did you set the timing? With a timing light and the jumper wire?

I put the engine to TDC, pulled the distributor, and it was already correctly inlined. I did find a ground wire that was loose, but that shouldn't be the reason why the car isn't turning over and looks like puff the magic dragon every time it tries to turn over. It won't even turn over and start up in order for me to use the timing light on it. You get what I'm talking about?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mkIII213;913678 said:
I put the engine to TDC, pulled the distributor, and it was already correctly inlined. I did find a ground wire that was loose, but that shouldn't be the reason why the car isn't turning over and looks like puff the magic dragon every time it tries to turn over. It won't even turn over and start up in order for me to use the timing light on it. You get what I'm talking about?
Why did you pull the distrubutor?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Are the marks on the cam gears pointed up, and in line with the marks on the cover? You can't set the motor in time by just the crank mark.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Well I think now that he has pulled the distributor, he'll have to go back and set everything, cam gears, crank pulley, and rotor pointing to #1, then put a timing light on it. If all the above are lined up it should at least start as long as nothing else is wrong.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
AJ'S 88NA;914011 said:
Well I think now that he has pulled the distributor, he'll have to go back and set everything, cam gears, crank pulley, and rotor pointing to #1, then put a timing light on it. If all the above are lined up it should at least start as long as nothing else is wrong.

Yes, the cam gears are lined up, the pulley is lined up, and so is the distributor with the rotor on cylinder #1. It seems really strange for it to not even turn over.
But I will go through everything once again to figure out if I missed anything while installing it. But I am almost positive that every thing is done, thats why its not making any sense why the car is acting in such a manner. Thanks for your input. I will let you know what happens

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
AJ'S 88NA;914430 said:
Have you checked the plugs, plug wires, coil wires, checked to see if you are getting spark?

Wouldn't it be getting spark if the car fires like that and causes the white smoke?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mkIII213;914440 said:
Wouldn't it be getting spark if the car fires like that and causes the white smoke?

Well the only thing that I know of that will cause a backfire is timing, if you say everything is in line, and you have spark at the plug wires and the plugs are ok, the right ones and gapped right, your plug holes are free of water or oil, the plug wires are ok, I don't know what else to tell you.

Maybe cuel will chime in later with some more ideas.

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
AJ'S 88NA;914607 said:
Well the only thing that I know of that will cause a backfire is timing, if you say everything is in line, and you have spark at the plug wires and the plugs are ok, the right ones and gapped right, your plug holes are free of water or oil, the plug wires are ok, I don't know what else to tell you.

Maybe cuel will chime in later with some more ideas.

Yeah, i totally agree. It seems very weird. I am gonna try and turn it over again to see if it still backfires like it was. Thanks!

I'm also curious...;]

did you ever take out the cams, or take off the cam cogs? There is a alignment pin on each cam behind the screw and washer. It should be in the center hole on the cog. This could distort the timing(If i'm correct?) if it is not in the center one of the 3.

you can barely see them behind the washer in this pic.
p915127_1.jpg

mkIII213

Oct 28, 2007
Dallas, Tx
BlackDynamite;915127 said:
I'm also curious...;]

did you ever take out the cams, or take off the cam cogs? There is a alignment pin on each cam behind the screw and washer. It should be in the center hole on the cog. This could distort the timing(If i'm correct?) if it is not in the center one of the 3.

you can barely see them behind the washer in this pic.
p915534_1.jpg

I never did remove the cams, I haven't done anything to offset the cam timing. The engine will try and turn over and after trying it for a couple of seconds, it will puff white smoke out of where the air intake pipe connects to the throttle body. It all sounds like timing, but I have checked it over and over again and the timing is all correct.