which turbo? Boss CT4 67 or GT35R?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
i plan on running meth injection after the turbo swap. But if thats pushing the limits of the gt35r then i wont go that route. Is anyone running the GT4088 on a 7m? i'd like to know well that set up works.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
The GT35R is a much faster spooling turbo than the GT4088. I'm making just under 500rwhp on pump gas on the GT35R with plenty of power to spare with race gas. The GT4088 has a very big turbine wheel which helps power but hurts spool. MK3brent was making 560rwhp on the GT4088 at only 21psi on race gas.

The Boss turbo kits are made to be an easy bolt-on solution that use the stock ex manifold. I believe MalloyNX made around 540rwhp with his Boss-67 turbo using the stage 5 turbine wheel.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
I'm interested to see what you choose! I just went with a BOSS setup using stage V and 61GT. It pulls like a SATURN V up top!

...now I gotta get some meth...;)

-crisp

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
crisp;1367967 said:
...now I gotta get some meth...;)

-crisp

Hopefully you mean water meth! ;)

I also have the SP61GT; but, it's not installed yet. Is it a slow spooler crisp....what's your take on that turbo?

Suprafanatic: Check out Tekdeus' setup. That may help you decide...

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
CajunKenny;1367972 said:
Hopefully you mean water meth! ;)

I also have the SP61GT; but, it's not installed yet. Is it a slow spooler crisp....what's your take on that turbo?

Suprafanatic: Check out Tekdeus' setup. That may help you decide...

At the moment, after a dozen years at 15~16psi out of a CT hybrid, I have to say it is a slow spooler.:cry:

...on the other hand, I have a LOT of variables to configure with my setup, and modest "means" to do it. (All HKS alphabet stuff, you know...:biglaugh:) I'm sure being piggyback doesn't help, but with cams/timing and boost I'm holding back, (to be safe, per those who know better... hence the "ice".;)), and at 14 or so psi, you are not going to get anything going for real until 4k. (Actually, "hits" from/at 4,200 in earnest.)

HOWEVER, inasmuch as I am "learning to drive" all over again with a car I just put 80k of the 100k (just turned) on... with my strong hybrid prop, I'm beginning to learn how to utilize the KENNEDY SPACE CENTER LAUNCH MODE WARP-SPEED of the netherworld of boost-overdrive that a little better blow like this affords. HOLY HAULIN' FORWARD FORCE!

Seriously, I was playing with the BOSS 61GT wheel at 16 and 18psi (just for the first few hours!) until guys alerted me to "DYNAMIC COMPRESSION" and I backed off, but other than my initial sense of "loss" for the 3,200~3,400 spool-up of the CT, I wouldn't want to trade it for the "LAUNCH-MODE" and menacing low rumble the car now snorts out it's ass.;)

Upper RPM's in the upper gears is serious territory for this sled now... as in, REALLY serious acceleration on the highway! It's, frankly... TOO FAST.:aigo:

Honestly, I'm gonna have to explore this level for quite awhile before I started itching to make another leap. I'm wanting to STREET drive this car as a regular commuting sanctuary... and NOT end up in solitaire confinement in the process!

Give me a little more time with it, and once it's figured out and dialed in, there will be no contest... I'll be ecstatic.;)

It's all good.:icon_bigg

That's a fair review.

-crisp

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
The boss 67 is a T4 turbo, its not a bolt on turbo. if you click on that first link i posted it should show you the turbo. anyone know about what RPM range the GT4088 will hit full boost?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
/\My mistake.. thought it was a bolt-on.

If I was in the market for a turbo I would go right for the Billet PT turbos. The new 6262 will make the power of a 67 with much better spool than the old Ptrim-67.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Good big cheap turbo :)

Personally I'd go with something big enough to let it breathe and use an SP QuickSpool to get it back to minimal lag.

This is why my 3540r made more power on the top end compared to the T04z, I ran a 1.06 on the 35 and a .96 on the 04, the tighter AR really hurts the top end, this was before the SP Valve was available.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
IJ did you even read any of the links I put up there. It is nearly proven that the billet turbos make more power because of the design of the compressor wheel. The stronger billet material allows a smaller inner circle which gives the fins added size even though the outer dimensions are equal.

Larry from Sound Performance replaced his PT-67's with 6262's and made more power on his 350z and gained a lot more spool. Also, Mike@USPmotorsports replaced is PT67 with a 6262 and made a good amount more power and again much better spool too-784AWHP to be exact.

Now there have been two 2JZ'z making 800+rwhp with the Billet PT67's, which no one has even come close to those #'s with the regular cast 67's.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I can vouch for the new PTE Billet turbo's... :)

Nate - If you're willing to opening up to the price range of a 35R,
or a TBB CT4 67, then you really should consider a Billet 6262.

I stood 4ft. from SP's 350Z as it laid down 1300HP with a couple of these. :biglaugh:

Jeff

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
First off why are you looking for a t4 style turbo?

Second I am pretty sure you would love the turbo I have on my car. Talked to Greg at suprasport and got the low down on what is a good multi purpose turbo.

Mine is rated for 625hp, kinda a custom made mutt turbo but it works well. Start spooling below 3,000 rpms and it gets out of control around 3,500. Keep in mind it is a Boss series that is just a bolt on type.

It is a P-trim GTS GT35 (close to a gt61 but comes on faster and keeps it up in the end) triple ceramic ball bearing. I am running 15 lbs with the internal wastegate hanging wide open. ie it has much more to go. It will get the tires to break free without a problem in 3rd when it spools up.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MRSUPRA;1368866 said:
IJ did you even read any of the links I put up there. It is nearly proven that the billet turbos make more power because of the design of the compressor wheel. The stronger billet material allows a smaller inner circle which gives the fins added size even though the outer dimensions are equal.

Larry from Sound Performance replaced his PT-67's with 6262's and made more power on his 350z and gained a lot more spool. Also, Mike@USPmotorsports replaced is PT67 with a 6262 and made a good amount more power and again much better spool too-784AWHP to be exact.

Now there have been two 2JZ'z making 800+rwhp with the Billet PT67's, which no one has even come close to those #'s with the regular cast 67's.

What part of "show me a direct comparison" aren't you getting?

NOT blah blah blah so and so made xx power on this then made xxx on this.

I'm not slamming you but I'd like to see hard data, even compressor maps would tell more of a story, unless there are dyno runs on the same car with the ONLY change being the billet wheel it's NOT a direct comparison.