where to get tripple plate flywheel?

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
well, tilton no longer makes their flywheel for the 7.25in multiplate clutch. does anyone else know of a company that does? i was told before tilton would make that flywheel again it would need 10 orders minimum. this would be for the 7m of coarse.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Probably something you already know but...
They have this one for the mkiv...
imagethumb.php

(pn's 51-5020 and 51-5021)

I would imagine it could be re-drilled/modified to work on the 7m, no?

Or are these discontinued too?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Dunno...never worked on one :) That was the pic they put next to that part #. They probably used the same pic for all of them....

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
iirc it cant be redrilled for the 7m. ive emailed quartermaster, but got no response. ill try calling them on my next break and see what a 1 off steel one will cost. was told thats who made the custom ones for the 8.5in twin plate uz series clutches.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
IJ. said:
LOL ditto just remember it coming up in a discussion.
(would make redrilling inpossible unless Will could snag an undrilled one)

youd think they could put one to the side like that but i doubt they would.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Will: When I built my twin for the Toyota 4v V8 in the Datsun they only ever came as Autos so I got a second Auto DP cut the ring gear off and bolted a piece of 1/2" plate steel to it machined it and had it surface ground.

It worked perfectly ;)

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Yeah, 8 holes would make it a bit harder :) I would hope a place like tilton could send one undrilled. Any idea on how the diameter/tooth count compares to the 7m?

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
idk. the one for the 2j works like how i plan to use it. the stock auto flexplate gets sandwhiched between the crank and flywheel for the starter. ill call titan again and see if i can get a 2j one undrilled. then get it machined locally to fit.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
IJ. said:
Will: When I built my twin for the Toyota 4v V8 in the Datsun they only ever came as Autos so I got a second Auto DP cut the ring gear off and bolted a piece of 1/2" plate steel to it machined it and had it surface ground.

It worked perfectly ;)

got any pics of this? if i use a flat plate, i could just have the legs on the cover milled the distance the pp is usually stepped. should work actually.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sorry never took any pics Will.

It was just drilled and tapped and bolted down through the Converter bolt holes.

I made an arbor out of an old Crank so it would all machine on centre.
(I have a 7M one as well)

If you use thicker plate you could machine the step in so it's the same as genuine Tilton.

I was a little concerned using Plate due to it's grain structure running across and not along like billet but in use I noticed no ill effects at all.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
hmm, i wasnt gonna bolt it to the flexplate, just the crank itself. ill see if i can find a proper flywheel first. if niot then try for an undrilled tilton 2j flywheel or even see if i can get a v8 flywheel undrilled. cant be that damn hard to find a company willin to sell me an undrilled flywheel.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
good news. i got a reply to the email i had sent quartermaster. they can make it, though im still waiting on a quote. ill have to ship them a stock flywheel to drill from. hehehe.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
beleive it or not, i dont think its that exspensive. the tripple plate clutches are less then $600, then you have the flywheel cost and an internal slave. the twin plate clutches are even less. not for everyone though as engagment is harsh for street use but is streetable with organic discs.