Where should I put my aftermarket BOV?

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Sup guys. I just built a set of 2.5" hardpipes for my 7mgte'd MK2. I have a Turbo XS RFL BOV and flange.

Question is: Should I weld it in the pipe from the turbo to intercooler(my preference) or in the pipe from the intercooler to the TB? I want to put it in the "correct" location for the proper operation of a the BOV besides recirculate. Its vented to atmosphere.

I have only 2 pipes..1 solid from TB to I.C. and 1 solid from Turbo to I.C.(got sick of popping couplers)

This car is driven less than 1000 mile a year and never see's rain nor dirt roads..if that matters.

Thanks in advance...Jake

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
One more question....Is the RFL a pull type BOV?...I think it is by the way the plunger moves, but I am not for sure...i aslo dont know what PSI the spring is..any way to tell(ok 2 questions)

Jake

brad92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Lexington, KY
www.haxors.us
ABQMK2;918380 said:
One more question....Is the RFL a pull type BOV?...I think it is by the way the plunger moves, but I am not for sure...i aslo dont know what PSI the spring is..any way to tell(ok 2 questions)

Jake

Sorry I don't know what RFL stands for, and further I am not sure what you are asking about the PSI for.. the BOV's job is to dump all the air out when you shut the throttle under boost.. it should never dump only some air or dump boost at a certain PSI, if it does it is broken..

Maybe I am missing your question or not smart enough to answer it..

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
I was trying to ask if my BOV has say a 14.7psi spring (if this is "psi spring exists")in it and if I boost 18psi will it open up and let off the extra boost pressure while I am applying throttle? I think RFL stands for Real Fawking Loud. I think i have a boost leak somewhere...Thats why I made the pipes. I had way to many couplers(weak spots). Now I have on 4 in the whole setup.

If I push on the plunger it opens towards where the vacuum hose plugs in...thats why im thinking it a pull type...when i let off it creates vacuum and pulls it open?

So if its a pull type then is should never leak and most of this conversation beside BOV location is a waste..sorry. Im trying to type this out to where I dont no sound like an a$$hole...sorry if I do..my wife says i naturally sound like one..LOL!

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
A pull-type BOV should never leak under boost.

Get a bike tire pump, and old bike inner tube and a pop bottle, and a length of disposable vacuum hose. Some duct tape could also be good.

Cut the tube so that there is the part with the valve, and about 3-6" on either side.

Put one end of the tube over the flange for your BOV. Attach the vacuum hose to the BOV's actuator, and run the hose so that it will be inside the tube. Put the other end of the tube over the pop bottle.

Inflate. If the BOV is a push type, then the BOV will pop off. You'll hear it.

If the BOV is a pull type, then it won't. Test the theory. Pinch the vacuum hose, then cut it on the side of the pinch towards the actuator. The BOV should open as the relative pressure at the actuator drops. Whoosh. Then you know for sure.

Note: I think that some types actualy require active vaccuum in order to open the valve, but it's my understanding that it's relative pressure that these are supposed to actuate the valve, for cases where you don't let off the throttle all the way. The HKS documentation says that the SSQV works this way.

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Thanks Mr. Wizard...I will give that a try just for the fun of it. Thanks for the in depth "how to". I do see what you are talking about. I will do that tomorrow. i dont have an inner tube off hand.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I think the RFL WILL leak under higher boost pressures, as the boost will push to open the valve.

Something like the HKS SSQV or Racing Type II are pull types that the boost is at the back of the valve holding it closed, hence why they generally NEVER leak...

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Now you have me thinking like i was before...the BOV mounts to the pipe and if I have to much boost then it will PUSH the plunger open and purge the boost....Its gotta be a PUSH type...google here i come...time for an HKS BOV...I like those anyways...Im just looking for a reason to buy one, I like the way they sound..LOL....I just need to study up on the different inserts...I remember something about a purple one?

feel like typing and explaining this?

brad92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Lexington, KY
www.haxors.us
Yes the stock valve leaks, I think around 16psi? The Bosch valves from Porsches and stuff I think they are good up to 18-20. There are several models 103, 108, and 110. One of them has metal internals, I think it is the 108.

If you are doing any real mods just go with an HKS with the recirculation kit..

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Thanks Brad...just from searching on here it sounds like the HKS is the most reliable. I plan on running 19psi on low and upto 23psi on high. So this RFL is going up on ebay...I see lots of real HKS ones on ebay I just dont see the recirc. kits often. I hate buying the wrong stuff...I do it all the time...My lack of experience kicking in here.

I havent bought from any vendors on here except george up at raptor...any recommendations?

thanks for everyones patience and help on this...im still going to try the innertube experiment:icon_bigg

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
HKS isn't the only type of pull type BOV out there.

Google Snyapse Synchronic BOV ;)

I've used both and prefer the synapse. Plus it comes with a removable recir. fitting right out of the box, and you can buy a few different adaptors for it to fit into other brand of BOV's flanges to eliminate having to weld it in if you are upgrading your BOV. I of course, bought the HKS flange adaptor as I've already been using a real HKS SSQV.

brad92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Lexington, KY
www.haxors.us
starscream5000;919081 said:
HKS isn't the only type of pull type BOV out there.

Google Snyapse Synchronic BOV ;)

I've used both and prefer the synapse. Plus it comes with a removable recir. fitting right out of the box, and you can buy a few different adaptors for it to fit into other brand of BOV's flanges to eliminate having to weld it in if you are upgrading your BOV. I of course, bought the HKS flange adaptor as I've already been using a real HKS SSQV.

With your spelling the only thing that comes up is a video about how much everyone hates that guy, apparently he made a fabricated comparison to Tial..? Everyone is saying he is very dishonest. Read the comments in this video.. EDIT: didn't know it would embed in my post.... um...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JTfgpFKrM&feature=related

Correct spelling is Synapse Synchronic BOV

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Thanks for the links...those are very interesting how they seal under throttle and open without throttle. The seem kind of bulky...So for Im leaning towards the slim inline with the I.C. pipe HKS....My RFL is 90 degrees to the pipe and sticks out at least 3" from it causing clearance and apperance issues.

Im sure the recirculation topic has been beat to death on here...so I will search it out...I guess when it vents to the atmosphere it causes the motor to stumble for a moment indicating it richens up for a moment. So i can see why they would recirc. it. Probly can tune out the stumble?

So far on ebay im finding HKS for around $165 and the weld on mild steel flange for $50(ouch). Used from $80-$100. I will shop around.

Jake

edit...check the above said....I didint realize the 1st Synapse Bov vid was so informative... I didnt see it all at 1st...sloooow puter. I likey what I see....looks comparable in size to HKS and performs better...decent sound...I wounder how that would hold upto my 60psi on my turbo diesel..haha. I will seach those out as well....Exellent 411!!

Last edited:

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Sorry for the link...hope im not breaking the rules by posting it...but it is only for info purposes only..im not promoting this sale....Is this the BOV in the ist vid?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SYNA...024QQitemZ370022241863QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

heres a coule you tube links

1st one is what it looks like and comes with and how it works....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh5TRE0r2eQ&NR=1

2nd one is for their wastegate if you care..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4fr0xpviQ&feature=related

Last edited:

brad92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2006
Lexington, KY
www.haxors.us
Well I must say I am impressed by the information presented about these BOVs in the videos... starscream, do you know of anyone besides you that is running this setup?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
brad92t;919629 said:
Well I must say I am impressed by the information presented about these BOVs in the videos... starscream, do you know of anyone besides you that is running this setup?

Not yet I don't. There could be more running around that are and just haven't spoken up.

The Synapse is indeed rather large. It's about the same size as the HKS is round, but it is about 30%-50% longer.

The ebay link provide does not break any rules, that is in the for sale section only, and Yes, that is the same BOV in the videos.

The Synapse will have vacuum ports plumbed up differently than most however. There are two on the back, and one on the side. The one on the side is recommended to be hooked into either the IC piping right after the turbo (boost reference vac line here) or tee'd into a vac port on the turbo itself. I prefer one not tee'd into the wastegate vac line. The two on the back are tee'd together going to the post t-body vac reference. Read the instructions carefully to make sure you have them tee'd properly as they are supposed to be hooked together only one way.

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
I just ordered the Synapse BOV. I plan on using the stainless steel flange, unless I should put the HKS flange on it just in case I dont like it then I can switch right to the HKS.

If I recall correctly. The vid says you dont need to use the one on the side..just the 2 on the back...could be wrong, wouldnt be the 1st time. Do you have the 2 lines in the back run to a "T" then to a single to somehwere post TB? If you have a pic..could you post it?

When I get this installed..then I can dyno tune my supra...then I will give my opinion on it...wont be as good as some but it will be one.

thanks again to all who posted....Jake