whats your Db? how loud is your ride?

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
hey guys i wanted to see who all in the supra world is about bass or sound Q. I myself have four 12'' woffers, four 6x9's, i did a custom installment in the door. I took out the 4'' speakers in the doors and installed 6'' and put a 4'' speaker in the bottom corner. depending on the meter i hit in between a 142 and 146Db. I want to hear what you all hit.

the first picture is of me inside lookin out at the meter.
p928571_1.jpg

the trunk and the back seat that is no more.
p928571_2.jpg

my custom work on the door.
p928571_3.jpg

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
Dan_Gyoba;928642 said:
My personal best was 141.6 -- which surprised the heck out of me considering that I'd built for SQ, and that was with a pair of 10" subs.

very nice... i did have a pair of 10's in the supra to start off with but since i still wanted the use of my targa top i could only do a sealed box. my highest with the 10's was 136.9. if you have any pictures id like to see them.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Fuzz420;928966 said:
I did 142.8 with a busted box and 1000w orion beast(old school amp), with two audiobahn 12's, stock alternator and kinetic 1400 battery.

This summer i plan on upgrading to some real meat, some re mt 12's i want to hit 150 on a regular street system

150 out of 2 Mt's...good luck, going to need atleast 8 Cu ft and there is not enough room for that in a supra and alot of power...unless if you wall it and that would not be a regular street system...

oh and what mic did you use? TL? if so what class??

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
Fuzz420;928966 said:
I did 142.8 with a busted box and 1000w orion beast(old school amp), with two audiobahn 12's, stock alternator and kinetic 1400 battery.

This summer i plan on upgrading to some real meat, some re mt 12's i want to hit 150 on a regular street system

that works... i actually used shallow mounts which is the only reason im still able to put the top in the back. i shock the hell out of people because i can produce so much sound out of almost nothing... all it has is a rockford t1000.1 amp, all the wiring batteries and alternator are stinger.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Fuzz420;928966 said:

150 from 2 MT's isnt hard to accomplish... You just have to realize that they are power monsters! For one thing i can promise you the stock alternator will take a crap with that kind of power draw if you use a big amp like 2 MT's would need. Secondly, as stevey stated, youll need a huge box. Have fun fitting it without building a wall in our tiny little supras.You will have to do alot of custom work to fit a big box back there, plan on loosing your rear seat. I used a 5.3 cu/ft box for my RE se's in my old Lumina, and im 99% positive that box will not fit in the back of the supra. Though i have been tempted to throw it in and see what i can pull if it fits. I tuned the box more for SQ-L, its at 32hz now, but if i modify the ports, to pull around 45-50hz, im sure i could get real close to 150db's... If the electrical system will allow it.

Hmm, im gonna try it an take a video of it all :D

Good luck on 2 MT's in a supra though! RE FTW!!!

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
pbasil1;929534 said:
150 from 2 MT's isnt hard to accomplish... You just have to realize that they are power monsters! For one thing i can promise you the stock alternator will take a crap with that kind of power draw if you use a big amp like 2 MT's would need. Secondly, as stevey stated, youll need a huge box. Have fun fitting it without building a wall in our tiny little supras.You will have to do alot of custom work to fit a big box back there, plan on loosing your rear seat. I used a 5.3 cu/ft box for my RE se's in my old Lumina, and im 99% positive that box will not fit in the back of the supra. Though i have been tempted to throw it in and see what i can pull if it fits. I tuned the box more for SQ-L, its at 32hz now, but if i modify the ports, to pull around 45-50hz, im sure i could get real close to 150db's... If the electrical system will allow it.

speaking of power i have a stinger alternator that puts out 220 AMPs/14.4 volts @ 1700 RPMs all day. as well as two stinger dry cell batteries. One for the car, one for the system. but they were well worth the money. but yeah i agree about the box. Our cars are insane when it comes to wanting air space. thats why when we do pull off something it gets attention. If you dont want to loose everything from the back seat back to a wall the shallow mounts are amazing. and if you dont have a targa top unlike myself you can go ported with the shallows and get a lot more sound out of them. im sure 150 is capable with the shallows in a ported box with the right watage.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
shenronzero;929565 said:
speaking of power i have a stinger alternator that puts out 220 AMPs/14.4 volts @ 1700 RPMs all day. as well as two stinger dry cell batteries. One for the car, one for the system. but they were well worth the money. but yeah i agree about the box. Our cars are insane when it comes to wanting air space. thats why when we do pull off something it gets attention. If you dont want to loose everything from the back seat back to a wall the shallow mounts are amazing. and if you dont have a targa top unlike myself you can go ported with the shallows and get a lot more sound out of them. im sure 150 is capable with the shallows in a ported box with the right watage.

im guessing when you say shallows you mean shallow mounting subs(thinner persay)...they wont get as loud as a regular sub, less cone area, thus less air moving....

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
shenronzero;929565 said:
Yes i bet it could be done. In fact with the surface area you have with your 4 subs, you should be able to pull it off. Just a little better staging, sound deadening, and box design i bet could get you there.

But there are limits to the shallow mount subs, one major one is excursion. The move about half as much as an equivelant standard sub... This limits the max out put of them... But as i said, you could pull it off with some shallows... It seems like you have a pretty nice setup, IMO, the first thing to go would be those rockford amps... Get a US Amps, or nice MMats, even some of the bigger JBL's are absolute beasts!

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
pbasil1;930488 said:
Yes i bet it could be done. In fact with the surface area you have with your 4 subs, you should be able to pull it off. Just a little better staging, sound deadening, and box design i bet could get you there.

But there are limits to the shallow mount subs, one major one is excursion. The move about half as much as an equivelant standard sub... This limits the max out put of them... But as i said, you could pull it off with some shallows... It seems like you have a pretty nice setup, IMO, the first thing to go would be those rockford amps... Get a US Amps, or nice MMats, even some of the bigger JBL's are absolute beasts!

your not the only person to say something about the rockford amps... but i had a little extra done to them. i sent them in and had them beef it up a bit and they metered in and gave me a certifacte with it and out of a 1000watt amp im getting about 1350 so im not gonna complain.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
shenronzero;930549 said:
your not the only person to say something about the rockford amps... but i had a little extra done to them. i sent them in and had them beef it up a bit and they metered in and gave me a certifacte with it and out of a 1000watt amp im getting about 1350 so im not gonna complain.

RMS or max? Im assuming max... To get 1300 watts RMS your paying a very pretty penny. And i doubt just changing a few caps and resistors, and re coiling it would get you to 1300 wrms from that amp.

I bought a kicker about 2 yrs ago and it was rated to be 750w, it was rated at 948... It was an ok amp... But it was a peak power rating. Rms i feel was closer to about 500-600 max.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
pbasil1;930827 said:
RMS or max? Im assuming max... To get 1300 watts RMS your paying a very pretty penny. And i doubt just changing a few caps and resistors, and re coiling it would get you to 1300 wrms from that amp.

I bought a kicker about 2 yrs ago and it was rated to be 750w, it was rated at 948... It was an ok amp... But it was a peak power rating. Rms i feel was closer to about 500-600 max.

im like 90% sure it was RMS id have to find the paper to clearify. but the amp is a 1000.1 so it is supose to put out 1000watts rms to 1 Ohm which is what I am running it at. ill try to find the paper and put it up.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
pbasil1;929534 said:

I like the mt's thats why i chose them :biglaugh: My friend ran the 15's with orion 2500's and i was quite impressed. He was hitting 155's quite easily, but he had several batteries providing the juice. Me i will just simple by another beast amp and get the appropriate box. Oh yes my back seat has been gone so it isnt an issue. Alternator crapping out isnt an issue either as their cheap.Keep in mind i wounldnt run this system on full tilt in every day use.I have been quoted $400+ for a Ohio 300 amp alternator.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
pbasil1;930827 said:

ok i found the certificate and i was a little off on my guess to what the max RMS output was... it wasnt 1300 after all, it turns out it was 1600 watts RMS!!! i took some pics.

p931824_1.jpg

p931824_2.jpg

p931824_3.jpg

p931824_4.jpg

p931824_5.jpg

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
You do realize that the rating is with the amplifier producing full tilt boogie static?
When a company produces "spec sheets" you have to take them as a politicians promise. I have 2 'beefed up' amps and they are plenty loud BUT I dont wave the spec sheet until Im at a show and then its simply up to the equipment to perform.

Who do you think set up the testing parameters? Is there a standard for EVERY amp yet? >1THD is on Pyramid amps that you KNOW dont produce 5000 watts.

Also why do you have 6X9s in the trunk? Why not at least 6.5s or 8 inch components?
85supra2.jpg

Thats with the beauty cover off. 4 8s 2 15s with 4 inch mids and 2 3 inch tweeters (soft dome). I had 3 Soundstream amps running components a D60, D100 and D200 along with a PPI 2150 on the 2 15s
It was LOUD you could feel it in your Heart.

I will say that upgrading an alternator on an 85 Supra to a large case is a lesson in frustration.

V

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
vdragonmpc;932139 said:
You do realize that the rating is with the amplifier producing full tilt boogie static?
When a company produces "spec sheets" you have to take them as a politicians promise. I have 2 'beefed up' amps and they are plenty loud BUT I dont wave the spec sheet until Im at a show and then its simply up to the equipment to perform.

Who do you think set up the testing parameters? Is there a standard for EVERY amp yet? >1THD is on Pyramid amps that you KNOW dont produce 5000 watts.

Also why do you have 6X9s in the trunk? Why not at least 6.5s or 8 inch components?
85supra2.jpg

Thats with the beauty cover off. 4 8s 2 15s with 4 inch mids and 2 3 inch tweeters (soft dome). I had 3 Soundstream amps running components a D60, D100 and D200 along with a PPI 2150 on the 2 15s
It was LOUD you could feel it in your Heart.

I will say that upgrading an alternator on an 85 Supra to a large case is a lesson in frustration.

V

just so you know its not a spec sheet... its a performance verifacation certificate... there is a difference there. the test is done to CEA specifications, so they cant just put whatever they want, there are guidlines. and as for why i did 6x9s in the back they produce some good mid bass and when i open the hatch its insanly loud so its good to listen to for when everyone is just hangin around. i attached a pic of my alternator. puts out 14.1 volts at idle and 14.4 at 1700 RPMs 220 APMs powder coated red

Attachments

• supra 015.JPG
    supra 015.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 30

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
When I read that you boosted your charging system that well I wondered about the 6x9s. I am running a Wrangler Power Products Alternator. Its a bit different from the Stinger product. Its a Large case alternator that HOT pumps 170amps. They are a great company to deal with and the external regulator with status display really helps you monitor whats going on with the unit.

Yours looks like a direct fit bolt on. I purchased mine in 1992 and its still runnin!

V

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Fuzz420;931818 said:
I like the mt's thats why i chose them :biglaugh: My friend ran the 15's with orion 2500's and i was quite impressed. He was hitting 155's quite easily, but he had several batteries providing the juice. Me i will just simple by another beast amp and get the appropriate box. Oh yes my back seat has been gone so it isnt an issue. Alternator crapping out isnt an issue either as their cheap.Keep in mind i wounldnt run this system on full tilt in every day use.I have been quoted $400+ for a Ohio 300 amp alternator.

what mic and what class? if its a Tl mic i highly doubt he got anywhere near 155 , let alone easily...