What's with the "JDM" everything?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
LilMissMkIII;1470154 said:
Neo, I could have written your OP word for word.

The infatuation with "JDM" stuff is beyond me too.

My entire car is JDM, but I don't think it is of any relevance, nor does it need to be posted about every time I mention my car, unlike some of these JDM Freaks that seem to think having a JDM part makes their car cooler/better/more awesome.

ETA - Am happy to sell some JDM dirt and coins from my fully-hectic JDM-tyte car to the highest bidder! ;)

Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks it's ridiculous.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Neodeuccio;1470147 said:
I still have to disagree. My car is Japanese, yes, but it was never intended for sale on the Japanese market. Hence, not JDM.

Regardless, I think we understand each other, even though we don't agree on a definition.

And you still didn't say why you're of the opinion that JDM everything is "FTW".

Built and sold in Japan

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Built and sold in the US.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Need I say more?

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Neodeuccio;1470150 said:
Ok, I have to admit that I would like to own a set of those... but I'd still end up pulling them out eventually when I put real racing seats in.

I also have the jdm folding mirrors, they suck, you can't see shit, but it fuckin sweet that they fold.

JDM taillights, they are darker and match some paint better, and in my opinoin look better

JDM rear carpet, you can fit a sub in and still tak the targa off and put in the targa holders

JDM climate control, since you are tired of your buttons sticking on the usdm one

JDM steering wheel, cause you don't need cruise.

JDM engines, 1jz enough said.

JDM rain gaurds, cause they don't work

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Neodeuccio;1470163 said:
Um, actually, yes. You've provided a single example of 2 drastically different items as if that somehow justifies something. Try again.

How doesnt it? It simply shows US quality and Japanese quality.. I can compare apples and oranges but it really doesnt matter cause I WILL try and again and show you more shit american quality.

How about this?

Mkiv

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Mustang

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
supramk3speed;1470166 said:
Yeah, compare titan parts to that of cheap chinese knock-offs.

We are talking about Japanese parts here.... ahah.. And Chinese parts are crap. Titan doesnt rip off design from Japanese companies... I have yet to see lets say an HKS Ti exhaust thats design was copied by Titan..

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Fletch124;1470171 said:
How doesnt it? It simply shows US quality and Japanese quality.. I can compare apples and oranges but it really doesnt matter cause I WILL try and again and show you more shit american quality.

How about this?

Mkiv

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Mustang

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Um, did you happen to notice that that's a USDM supra? Driver's on the left dude. Also, that mustang's a 5.0 foxbody. If you knew anything about them, you'd know that they're stupidly reliable, and capable of making big fucking power. On top of that, they cost half as much as the supras of the same year.

If you had paid attention at all, you would have noticed that I'm not saying that Japanese products are inferior in any way. What I'm saying is that JDM (not Japanese but JDM) parts rarely differ from their USDM counterparts at all, and even when they do, the difference is a matter of personal opinion, not quality.

You apparently are trying to argue this, but as far as I'm concerned, you're failing.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Fletch124;1470178 said:
We are talking about Japanese parts here.... ahah.. And Chinese parts are crap. Titan doesnt rip off design from Japanese companies... I have yet to see lets say an HKS Ti exhaust thats design was copied by Titan..

What the hell are you talking about?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Here an Aussie delivered Mk3 is worth more than a JDM Mk3 more as it hasn't be hacked to suit Australian compliance. (Typically done by Neanderthal's wielding big hammers and silicone)

Ditto on not getting the whole JDM craze/obsession

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Neodeuccio;1470182 said:
Um, did you happen to notice that that's a USDM supra? Driver's on the left dude. Also, that mustang's a 5.0 foxbody. If you knew anything about them, you'd know that they're stupidly reliable, and capable of making big fucking power. On top of that, they cost half as much as the supras of the same year.

If you had paid attention at all, you would have noticed that I'm not saying that Japanese products are inferior in any way. What I'm saying is that JDM (not Japanese but JDM) parts rarely differ from their USDM counterparts at all, and even when they do, the difference is a matter of personal opinion, not quality.

You apparently are trying to argue this, but as far as I'm concerned, you're failing.

Sure its LHD but that doesnt mean its USDM... ahaha. It could be Euro.. And if you didnt know there are very few differences between USDM and JDM mkivs... Besides which side the steering wheel is on, and other small odds and ends.

If you didnt notice I was showing you Japanese engineering and design compared to US engineering and design. You tried to make me look stupid by saying I was showing you 2 totally and completely different parts. You obviously knew the Japanese part was of much much higher quality so you had to come up with some excuse.

I was paying attention. If you were paying attention you would have noticed this...
Well if it was made in Japan its JDM. Your mk3 is JDM technically... Plus american made anything really doesnt work or look as good as Japanese products IMO. It really doesnt help that there are very few American companies that produce parts for mk3s. But regardless JDM stuff=FTW!

Ahhahaha that old aguement.. There is a reason a Mkiv cost as much as it does.. and theres a reason a foxbody costs as much as it does...

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
ij.;1470189 said:
here an aussie delivered mk3 is worth more than a jdm mk3 as it hasn't be hacked to suit australian compliance. (typically done by neanderthal's wielding big hammers and silicone)

ditto on not getting the whole jdm craze/obsession

fify

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Comparing a flagship model car to a muscle car is f-ing stupid and an idiot arguement.

That said, as there were more Supras in japan and they have a larger aftermarket, yes, JDM stuff tends to be better.

And :rofl: @ Recaros being JDM

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
poodles;1470199 said:
comparing a flagship model car to a muscle car is f-ing stupid and an idiot arguement.

That said, as there were more supras in japan and they have a larger aftermarket, yes, jdm stuff tends to be better.

and :rofl: @ recaros being jdm
"GdM" ;)

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Fletch124;1470191 said:
Sure its LHD but that doesnt mean its USDM... ahaha. It could be Euro.. And if you didnt know there are very few differences between USDM and JDM mkivs... Besides which side the steering wheel is on, and other small odds and ends.

If you didnt notice I was showing you Japanese engineering and design compared to US engineering and design. You tried to make me look stupid by saying I was showing you 2 totally and completely different parts. You obviously knew the Japanese part was of much much higher quality so you had to come up with some excuse.

I was paying attention. If you were paying attention you would have noticed this...

Ahhahaha that old aguement.. There is a reason a Mkiv cost as much as it does.. and theres a reason a foxbody costs as much as it does...

The problem is that you're still wrong. Just because something is Japanese, that doesn't make it JDM. And while I never mentioned US made parts, you did, and you provided examples that were very poorly thought out. And you REALLY didn't want to compare USDM MkIV's to JDM MkIV's. A stock USDM TT car will trash a stock JDM TT car any day of the week. Japan limits the number of HP any JDM car can produce stock to 280, so the JDM 2JZGTE's make almost 50 horses fewer than the USDM 2JZGTE's.

And yes, in the exhaust example that you gave, the Japanese product was superior. But you're ability to find 1 Japanese product that is better than 1 US product doesn't come close to supporting your argument that:
Fletch124;1470191 said:
But regardless JDM stuff=FTW!

So I challenge you to provide an argument that supports your opinion. Any don't half-ass it like you have you other failed attempts. Show me a real argument, based in fact, using reasonable comparisons.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Poodles;1470199 said:
Comparing a flagship model car to a muscle car is f-ing stupid and an idiot arguement.

That said, as there were more Supras in japan and they have a larger aftermarket, yes, JDM stuff tends to be better.

And :rofl: @ Recaros being JDM

An intelligent reply! Thanks Pood!

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I saw a "JDM" badge on a Hon-duh Crap-RX today, and couldn't figure out what part was on it that made it that way.

It probably meant something at one point, now it's as silly at "Type-R".

UPDATE: This is hilarious. I just did a search for JDM and Type-R together...

JUST ORDERED JDM CIVIC FD2 TYPE R ENKEi RIMS!!!

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/whee...rdered-jdm-civic-fd2-type-r-enkei-rims-3.html

Yeah, I bet he shit his pants when he did order those. They'll net him... what... another 150 fwhp? Bet he'll be the first on his block to claim those... :biglaugh:

Civic retards....... :nono:

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Neodeuccio;1470201 said:
The problem is that you're still wrong. Just because something is Japanese, that doesn't make it JDM. And while I never mentioned US made parts, you did, and you provided examples that were very poorly thought out. And you REALLY didn't want to compare USDM MkIV's to JDM MkIV's. A stock USDM TT car will trash a stock JDM TT car any day of the week. Japan limits the number of HP any JDM car can produce stock to 280, so the JDM 2JZGTE's make almost 50 horses fewer than the USDM 2JZGTE's.

And yes, in the exhaust example that you gave, the Japanese product was superior. But you're ability to find 1 Japanese product that is better than 1 US product doesn't come close to supporting your argument that:

So I challenge you to provide an argument that supports your opinion. Any don't half-ass it like you have you other failed attempts. Show me a real argument, based in fact, using reasonable comparisons.

Ahahaha. The reason I didnt have much of an arguement on the difference between a JDM and USDM MKIV is because im not a mkiv expert and dont know the clear differences. Besides the turbos, cams, and steering wheel position.

Ahahahahah you challenge me..? Ok... Im not going to do homework and write you a report because IMO japanese parts are better overall. I've got more important shit to do than try to prove anything to you. ahahahah.