What's with the "JDM" everything?

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
[drug induced rant]

This is something that's been driving me nuts for a while now. Why does everyone think that "JDM" parts are so much better than any other parts?

I know that there are some parts that were different between the markets, and that therefore having real JDM parts may in a few cases be nice from a collector's point of view, but there are only a limited number of parts that this applies to.

So why does everyone seem to obsess over this so called "JDM" stuff, when most of it isn't anything special? And why does everything get labeled "JDM", regardless of what it actually is?

This shit just bugs me. If you've got aftermarket parts, they're aftermarket, admit it! Don't call it "JDM" just because you want to be cool.

[/drug induced rant]

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
my 1jz is totally jdm and I could give a damn about it. The honduh boi's flip shit over a jdm ashtray or vent cover or something, but to me, JDM is more of a PITA than anything lol

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Well if it was made in Japan its JDM. Your mk3 is JDM technically... Plus american made anything really doesnt work or look as good as Japanese products IMO. It really doesnt help that there are very few American companies that produce parts for mk3s. But regardless JDM stuff=FTW!

The cool JDM thing really mostly applies to Honda and 240sx guys.

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
I hate JDM shit. Just for the fact that everyone claims JDM is hella fresh yo.
I don't know about the Supra but when it comes to aftermarket support, but for the K-Series you want to steer very far away from Japanese parts. The US built stuff is so much better.

IPS FTW

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Neodeuccio;1470130 said:
Yeah, 1JZ's would be some of those special parts that are different... considering they were never shipped to the states.

Thats the thing though.... its not hard if you know about the engines and how to make other parts work. I got the engine because I was very impressed by it, not that its jdm. Im just not cool like that lol

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I have to disagree, my Mk3 was produced for the American market, so it really isn't JDM at all. JDM means Japanese Domestic Market - things that were made in Japan for sale and use in Japan. There isn't a single part on my car that matches that description.

So going back to the original question, why do you say JDM parts are so good? You really haven't given a reason.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
If you get JDM parts you are being yourself by following the crowd. Well all of you JDM humpers better not buy a toyota tundra because that truck is made in Texas. I don't care if something was made in America or on the top of Mount Fuji, just as long as it is known to be good i will purchase it.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Neodeuccio;1470137 said:
I have to disagree, my Mk3 was produced for the American market, so it really isn't JDM at all. JDM means Japanese Domestic Market - things that were made in Japan for sale and use in Japan. There isn't a single part on my car that matches that description.

So going back to the original question, why do you say JDM parts are so good? You really haven't given a reason.

Its still "JDM". Your car being produced was part of a market in Japan... Sure it was shipped to the US but there was money being spent to have it produced. Therefore your car was part of a transaction that took place is Japan. Of course this really doesnt refer the JDM(built and sold in Japan then shipped here) that we all know of.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
No, JDM means Japan Domestic Market, parts made for the Japanese market. The Supra sold here was for a different domestic market, and even though many of the parts are the same, you could not consider them to be JDM.

JDM means Japan destination, in all honesty, it doesn't even have to be made in Japan to qualify, such as JDM Cavalier parts, they were made in the USA, but they were destined for Japan, hence they are JDM.

JDM has nothing to do with where a part is made, and everything to do with where the part was meant to be sold.

Jeff

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Fletch124;1470141 said:
Its still "JDM". Your car being produced was part of a market in Japan... Sure it was shipped to the US but there was money being spent to have it produced. Therefore your car was part of a transaction that took place is Japan. Of course this really doesnt refer the JDM(built and sold in Japan then shipped here) that we all know of.

I still have to disagree. My car is Japanese, yes, but it was never intended for sale on the Japanese market. Hence, not JDM.

Regardless, I think we understand each other, even though we don't agree on a definition.

And you still didn't say why you're of the opinion that JDM everything is "FTW".

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Fletch124;1470131 said:
Well if it was made in Japan its JDM. Your mk3 is JDM technically... Plus american made anything really doesnt work or look as good as Japanese products IMO. It really doesnt help that there are very few American companies that produce parts for mk3s. But regardless JDM stuff=FTW!

The cool JDM thing really mostly applies to Honda and 240sx guys.

Technically no. JDM is japan domestic market. if it was made for sale in US then it is USDM regardless of where it was made. Some JDM parts are superior because the japanesse were willing to pay more than americans. Example: JDM folding mirrors are cool because they fold, not because theyre JDM.
On the other hand JDM is the most misused word in import aftermarket marketing. It gets to the point where its just plain stupid. "I have a JDM door" good for you, its exactly the same as mine! Or "jdm tail lights" that hold more water than a fish tank
JDM is big with the honda guys because theyre were alot of differences between USDM and JDM models.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
JDM is the new rice baby, go to a jdm style forum and you will hear them say yo dawg, or say wats up diggity. All of the same retard language ricers use.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Neo, I could have written your OP word for word.

The infatuation with "JDM" stuff is beyond me too.

My entire car is JDM, but I don't think it is of any relevance, nor does it need to be posted about every time I mention my car, unlike some of these JDM Freaks that seem to think having a JDM part makes their car cooler/better/more awesome.

ETA - Am happy to sell some JDM dirt and coins from my fully-hectic JDM-tyte car to the highest bidder! ;)