What's The Dumbest Thing A Car Manufacture Has Done?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It was hydraulic pressure used to activate the switch to complete the circuit so the light would illuminate.

Needless to say, we blocked it off and used a switch I had laying around behind the pedal and relocated the wires and now it's all electrical.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
IBoughtASupra;1847740 said:
It was hydraulic pressure used to activate the switch to complete the circuit so the light would illuminate.

Needless to say, we blocked it off and used a switch I had laying around behind the pedal and relocated the wires and now it's all electrical.

Wait. What? I crashed my 1992 Jetta. all of a sudden I had no brakes after start and stop traffic on the highway. I ended up throwing it into the ditch. I thought it was the master though, total bull crap if it wasn't.

I have another VW one. 1993 VW moves production from Austria to MEXICO. Doi. '92 and older Jetta's are like tanks, they barely have rust. 1993 and newer you can put a butter knife through the floor.

One of my old cars, I believe it was my GM Astro. There was an harness connection directly under the fill reservoir for the washer fluid. Over the years the fluid would corrode the shit out of the ungasketed connection.

VR6's are pretty silly.

And what's the deal with Push Rods....?

I love the Pinto "mouse-trap" though, that's awesome.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
In my career installing Ignition Interlocks (Car Breathalyzers) if someone blows alcohol while driving we set the parking lights/hazards/highbeams to rapidly flash along with a DEI siren.
This has led me to discover that some Jeeps have a trailer brake/light pigtail behind the driver kick panel. This is just zip tied to the chassis with prestripped ends. When you activate the lights for an interlock or even an alarm system this backfeeds into the bcm and fries everything along the way because some of them are fused 30AMP.

Volkswagen in the late 90's Jetta and Passat uses the same reservoir for brake and clutch fluid. Got a leaking slave cyl? Result: You have zero brake pressure. I learned this because a client accused me of cutting his "brake wires" during my install. Of course I looked baffled when he said "brake wires".

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
honeydew;1848368 said:
VR6's are pretty silly.

And what's the deal with Push Rods....?
VR6's sound nice... and they're fairly compact, but I have no need of them.

As for pushrods, they still work just fine. See: LS Chevy. ;)

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
te72;1848490 said:
VR6's sound nice... and they're fairly compact, but I have no need of them.

As for pushrods, they still work just fine. See: LS Chevy. ;)

The VR6's are compact but the stagger of the cylinders mean that during the combustion phrase of stroke the Rods are under a tremendous snapping sideways force which for something like an I beam rod can't be healthy.

....God then put his breath into the Straight 6, and it was good.....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not arguing, I'll take a straight six over ANY V-engine with less than 8 cylinders...