What's The Dumbest Thing A Car Manufacture Has Done?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
suprageezer;1839081 said:
I'm thinking two off the top of my head, one is a company thing the other and entire government mandated design.

First the deadliest car ever made the 65,66, 67, 68 mustangs, the gas tank is in the trunk, the only thing seperating you and a fireball in the rear end collision is the back seat which instanly incenerates. Google it, it's always been a huge Ford/Gov lets keep this quiet. The fact is over a million were produced, so many have lost their lives and continue being killed today due to it's poularity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FioZOhoXCw&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL0EB1C8FB2CA795B2

Second the EGR valve, the good ole Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. Now who ever thought of taking hot exhaust gas right out of your exhaust manifold then introducing it directly into your intake manifold after the point where the air was FILTERED has got to be the King of American Built In Obsolecense. Along with these gases comes a certain amount of diamond hard carbon particles, one can only imgaine what wonders they do in your combustion chamber, especially between your pistons and cylinder walls.

most common egrs have a screen to catch the junk I have cleaned then and replaced them

as for the supra the egr cooler plate is suppost to gather all the junk since the supra does not have screen

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
^ hate to burst your bubble but ya can tune that out

but there for emission and fuel mileage other wise de tuning power

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
But it's not :rofl:

It's really not much compared to a V configuration motor on a FWD car. Yes, let's make changing plugs near impossible... I just got done doing the timing belt and waterpump on my dad's V6 Camry, and it's just beyond stupid to have engines put in like that IMHO...

Ohhhh, I got a good one. How about the "idiot light" gauge on the Miata? Early miatas had a real, working oil pressure gauge. later ones, it's still a "gauge" but it's not triggered by an oil pressre switch on the block. If you have any oil pressure, the gauge goes to a bit over half and just stays there. Not very helpful at all :rofl:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1840263 said:
Ohhhh, I got a good one. How about the "idiot light" gauge on the Miata? Early miatas had a real, working oil pressure gauge. later ones, it's still a "gauge" but it's not triggered by an oil pressre switch on the block. If you have any oil pressure, the gauge goes to a bit over half and just stays there. Not very helpful at all :rofl:
You had time to watch the oil pressure gauge? I was always too busy trying to manage 3 pedals, 4 tires, and 5 gears, and 7000 rpms to pay much attention to much else. ;)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone know that the Maxima has a sensor in the engine mount that can burn out the ECU. I saw a TSB on it in All-Data or Identity-Fix, don't remember which one exactly.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Then there was the ole Ford sending 15 amps through a Texas Instruments Switch rated for 1-2 Amps that pluged into the brake master cylinder. It had power all the time if I remember right, so when your truck or car was just sitting at home in the garage and the switch sprung a leak, your brake fluid would catch fire, your vehicle would burn, then burn your house down. I wonder how many are still out there like that on the road.

http://deliciadawn.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/iaai_article.pdf

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
suprageezer;1842123 said:
Then there was the ole Ford sending 15 amps through a Texas Instruments Switch rated for 1-2 Amps that pluged into the brake master cylinder. It had power all the time if I remember right, so when your truck or car was just sitting at home in the garage and the switch sprung a leak, your brake fluid would catch fire, your vehicle would burn, then burn your house down. I wonder how many are still out there like that on the road.

LOL ford explorer, had one and got the recall letter, always parked outside and figured it would either end up in a roll over and burning to the ground anyway

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Isn't this why they're nicknamed the Ford Exploder? That's what they're known as around here anyway...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
VW use of a pressure activated brake switch in the brake lines that control the brake lights. Why is it dumb? When it blows, it doesn't just go bad, the spring breaks out, causing a hole in the switch and fluid rushes out with every press of the pedal.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
suprageezer;1842123 said:

My Expedition has the "extra harness" installed under the recall to "fix" the issue. All the "fix" is, is a fusible link.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IBoughtASupra;1847542 said:
VW use of a pressure activated brake switch in the brake lines that control the brake lights. Why is it dumb? When it blows, it doesn't just go bad, the spring breaks out, causing a hole in the switch and fluid rushes out with every press of the pedal.
What's quicker, hydraulic pressure or an electric signal? I'll stick with the good old fashioned electrical based lights. Don't want any delay in my brake lights illuminating...