whats closest youve come to wrecking?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i was just curious w/ us talking about 2-300+ hp to rear wheels in a 3500 pound car and us talking about killing some other car it just seams natural that at one point we have all come extremely close to sideswiping that tree at 120. i just wanted to know what the closest you guys have come to biting it.
my closest was out in the open road w/ realy realy strong cross winds. i hit a hill at 140 at the top cross wind pretty much lifted/pushed my car accross two lanes and had 2 tires eat dirt at 120 i didnt touch the brakes i just let it slow down on its own and ease back onto road. had i gone another foot i would have eaten a ditch and done my fair share of flips.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
old lady hit me in her corvette coming out of my parking space on the street at about 50. insurance almost totaled my car, but we wouldnt let them. fresh engine rebuild not 2 months ago ;/

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Turbo-Joe said:
old lady hit me in her corvette coming out of my parking space on the street at about 50. insurance almost totaled my car, but we wouldnt let them. fresh engine rebuild not 2 months ago ;/

Keep on subject, CLOSE CALLS!!! :x: lol JK. That sucks. Sorry to hear about that man. Glad to hear you got your way though. Adjusters and ins. companies are tough cookies.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
damn that sucks.
mine
im goin 60-65 on a 2 lane highway i was behind a couple other cars.
cop was behind truck and did turn on his lights and punch it till he got to the car that was infront of the one i was behind. he floors it i say cop was doing 75-80 as the two cars in front of me pull to the side i see him coming right at me. i swear he missed me by 6 inches. scared the shit out of me so thats all i have besides the crazy shit i do on back roads.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I was on the interstate going about 80 when a guy in the left lane decided that it was time to swirve across three lanes of traffic to make his exit. I slam on the breaks and his rear bumper misses my front by about 3 inches. I mean it was so close i almost had a heart attack. If i didnt see it out of the corner of my eye i probably would have lost control and wound up in the ditch ont he side of the road.

So after i recovered i followed his ass off the exit and started cursing him out. He was a huge guy but i had so much adrenalyn flowing that i actually got out of my car and started walking up to his.(i guess wanting to fight him?) Light changes... he punches it and speeds away.

(I was just in accident like 2 weeks before where some lady t-boned my paseo and lied to the cops therefor making it my fault. I had a green arrow... she had a red light... but somehow she had the right of way... So i was in no mood for that shit)

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
the only things i have really had scare me in the supra was accelerating onto onramps. hit a tiny puddle and INSTANTLY the tires light up at 55 MPH....car got all squirly... i was lil scared.. thats about it..it's really crazy when your doing 60 MPH and your looking at the side of the road.....

Turkish

Apr 4, 2005
wasnt in my supra it was in my prior car which was a 1986 dodge daytona turbo z carrol shelby edition. I was racing my friend who was in an older 70's model camaro we were going around a slight bend and a truck that was in his lane came into my lane and I hit my brakes my wheels locked and I did a 360 across 2 lanes of on coming traffic and ended up in a dirt shoulder as I was spinning I saw a couple cars coming right at me, though I was a goner for sure, and my "friend" didn't even stop lol

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
..while learning to drive my car, I took a corner too fast and punched it.. lost control, overcorrected, spun out, smacked my rear passenger rim side on the curb and bent all of my rear passenger suspension.
That was a quick $250 worth of parts from the junkyard to replace, but I learned a lesson, and that got me started in doing my own maintenance. Also prompted me to get rid of my chrome TSW VX-1's that came on my car when I purchased it, so I guess that episode was a couple of blessings in disguise.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
well mine wasn't at any high speed or anything spectacular but at the time was very scary.. for me anyway

was coming up to a roundabout that i drive round almost everyday..(speed limit is 30mph).. usually i go thru it at 20mph but today it was raining but at the time was just drizzling... i was behind this silly cow that was doing like 15mph thru the huge long straight.. pissed me off i can tell ya... so we get to the roundabout and she takes the right lane and i take the left, i assumed she was turning right... i'm goin thru at bout 10-15mph and realise she's also coming straight thru.. if we merged at the current speeds she would hit my rear quarter
so i sped up like 2-3mph and next thing ya know i'm facing a fence and park... while i was on my 90 deg excursion she so kindly tapped my rear bumper and sent me for a 180deg excursion... straight into two lanes of traffic :(

consequently i t-boned a mazda bongo van and when he saw me comin he starting turning away from me... the passenger had her arm down the outside of the door and he drove into a 3 ton toyota hiace truck

she got her hand mangled and i completely did in the sill on the van and the front corner of the hiace truck was all squished

what i didn't realise was in the panic of trying to control the car i thought i was invincible in i was actually full throttle in my slides

as a result the cops saw a sports car with chrome mags and loud exhaust and decided to charge the boyracer (me)
out of all the witnesses not one person saw the other car :wtf:

so i got charged with careless driving causing injury, loss of license for 6 months and $550nzd fine

i now no longer think i'm invincible.. i'm much more careful in my car... and i have learnt how to drive it and handle it if i do get in that position again

as for damage to my car (my old black 89), 2 scratches on the front bumper and one dent in the top of the guard (fender) from the guy in the van opening his door on it while i was trying to reverse out of the way

i went and saw the woman at the hospital and she was really nice... she was gonna be fine and didn't have any interest in laying a complaint with the boys in blue... but well they wanted to charge the boy racer lol

lesson learnt ;)

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
I was coming home one night, came around a corner punched it. Corrected, the car snaped around to hard, then again and I ended up facing the other way on the street sitting against a curb and right over that curb was a nice big telephone pole.

All I did was scratch my wheel up a bit.

L

lanky189

I was driving a box truck (you know van front with giant box on the rear) for my first job. down a highway (2 lanes either way) with a concrette barrrier between. Next to us were cute girls witha sun roof open and low cut shirts.. so... as i was driving in the fast lane i looked over and tried to catch a peak. While i drifted closer to the barrier..well the front tire hit the barrier..rode up on it..taking the back two up on it...so all of a sudden we're looking straight down into thier sunroof leaning the whole trcuk up on the pass side wheels.... i didnt hit the brakes..i didnt slow down...i just steered down off the divider...promptly pulled over...and let my buddy drive because i was shaking so bad.....

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
i was on one of my late night back road excursions in the Supra and was cruisin pretty fast cause I know this 2-lane road real well. I get about a mile from my house and see a deer a good ways up and slow down. I know a guy that wrecked his MK4 on this road hitting a deer, so I decide to take it real easy the rest of the way on this road. I get another mile down the road and I'm going around a blind left-hand curve when I see a big dodge pickup coming right at me with most of his truck in my lane.......I hold my breath and put my 2 rights in the ditch and prayed.......he passed so close that if my window had been down I probably would have smelled the alcohol on his breath....

suprafanatic90t

Mar 31, 2005
Spring Hill Tennessee
well i have had a coupe close calls in my old na supra. first i was heading to our mall to pick of my tux for my junior prom with my mom in the car. i had the cruise set at 80mph. i am in the slow lane as we start to come over a hill. i start coming up on a ford explorer so i get over to the fast lane. in front of the ford. on the other side of ther hill is where a concreet center divider starts. well the ford exploer decides that he is going the wrong way on the interstate. so he turns a hard left right before the divider and cuts me off so he can go south bound instead north bound. so my first reflex is to hit the brakes. in doing this all four tires lock and the car slides sideways at 80mph. i pull it around and straighten out. didin't do any damage except four nice flat spots on my new tires.

i actually got into a littel wreck here but it could of been a lot worse:
my second close call happend early this year. i was driving my old supra again b/c i blew the motor in my turbo. i had just put new tires on my turbo model but i didn't switch them over to the n/a b/c i didn't think they were that bad. well i was going to work during rush hour. it was raining and i was just keeping up with traffic. car felt good wasn't squirmy at all. the interstate widens to 5 lanes and a center divider starts in the center. well with the divider there the water doesn't drain very well. all of the sudden the back end starts to come around i turn in to it and the car starts to come back nice and slow. all of the sudden the car catches and it was all over. i go hydroplaning across all 5 lanes twice and end up coming to a stop in the middle of two lanes. the whole time i was spining nobody hit me, but when i came to a stop i get hit. not by any just any regular but a damn porsche. car didn't seem damaged so we pulled to the shoulder and looked at the cars. his front fender i dented in and he also bent his front spindle. he hit my rear tire so i all have on the car is some blue paint on the rear pass rim.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
suprafanatic90t hey u go to tech dont u?
i have seen ur car around here i think, and guy named jeff gatley said u drove a white turbo but u blew it now u drive a silver NA right?
i know this is OT but i remeber seeing a white turbo here and thought that might be u.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
I spent most of last summer driving between my job (got paid mileage) and my xgf. Spending most of my time in cars really exposed me to the stupidity of some people. Two most memorable incidents:
1) It is around 3-4 am and I am booking it from the 401 to the DVP (two highways in Toronto.) Due to massive construction on the ramp system leading from one highway to the other, only one ramp was open (my ramp.) Wouldn't you know, some drunk fool decides to try to get home regardless of the massive concrete barrier blocking the ramp he wanted to get on. Suffice to say he changed his mind at the last moment and cut accross the every lane including mine. I watched his car miss mine by less then a foot.
2) Worst ice storm of the winter I was up north of Toronto driving back at 6am (only time the bloody freezing rain wasn't falling) it was soo dirty out there the the only traffic on the highway was me and my friend in his prelude. It was then that god decided to test my driving skills as a massive 18 wheeler decided to not only enter the highway way too fast but then cut accross 3 of the four lanes (I was in the 2nd.) Well I hit the gas (BMW = traction control) swerved out of the way and spent about 5 minutes fishtailing just in front of the truck.

There are many more, but those are the biggest 2.

suprafanatic90t

Mar 31, 2005
Spring Hill Tennessee
d34dc311
yeah i do go to tech. i blew my engine in my white turbo about week before christmas break. i am driving my silver n/a with white rims. my freshman year i use to live on the same hall as gatley. i saw him the other day in the quad and he told he new another guy that drove a supra. just send me an im and maybe we can go for cruise sometime. hopefully in the next few weeks my turbo will be running, but we will see.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I was about 3 minutes from my house coming down highway 96....a pretty small 2 lane highway....

I was in my dads BRAND NEW 2 week old 2004 nissan frontier, like 2 weeks into the supra rebuild last year....it was at night around 10pm.....

I was on the phone with my (ex) girlfriend, I was telling her that i would call her back when i got home, i am very short on the phone when i am driving...i HATE driving and talking on the cell phone...BIG DISTRACTION...so as i was saying goodbye i tell her that i have to put the phone down because a big moving van was twords me.....

The speed limit was 55mph. I was way over in my lane almost into the grass....i saw the truck veering twords me ( drifting into my lane comign head on!)......i could only pray...my cell phone was in the center cup holder and my girl was still on the phone....she heard EVERTHING...

"OH FUCKING SHIT" i said really loud.....the truck was 1/2 in my lane...i put the right wheels in the grass and prayed that i wouldnt hit a mailbox or telephone pole or even a driveway at 55mph.....

....the moving truck KNOCKED THE LEFT SIDE MIRROR OFF AND SENT GLASS INTO THE CABIN of my truck ( windows were all the way down)! I was covered in mirror glass......the whole door was eaten to bits by sharp shards of glass.....I dont know how he didnt hit me head on...i belive it was by the grace of the almighty that i wasnt killed that night.

My girlfriend heard everthing.....poor girl thought i was dead by te way i shreaked in terror....I probably sounded like a girl LOL

All in all, i got home, jumped out of the truck, had some cuts on my hand, and my father was like "what happend...... :nono: "....

I think he still believes to this day that i hit something in a parking lot....but the way i was shaking and basically crying ( new car that wasnt even mine, nearly killed) my mother and him new something wasnt right....
Like i said, 2 weeks before that, the HG blew on the supra, 1 week before the HG, my coolant pipe blew on the supra.....you get the picture...3 weeks of pure bliss :aigo:

-Jonathan

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I got one, probably my fav, in my MKII, and one in my MKIII.
MKII- I had just taken her to Kentucky to get it wet sanded, looked absolutely gorgeous. 15 mins from home on the highway at 8:30pm there's a deer in the middle of the highway, just standing there. Mom was with me, we were both tired, and ready to get home. Anyway, I just blurt out "Ahhh f*ck...." real calm like, and mom sits straight up... then some genious in the OTHER lane flips on his bright lights, I can't see jack and just hold on a pray that I didn't hit the stupid deer, or the other car. I don't know how close I came to hitting the deer, but I knew that if I did, I woulda been eating deer that night for dinner, probably raw.

MKIII- This sounds really lame, I will admit. But until you get into a situation like this, I don't think you can really understand. I'm a college kid working at Target, have to drive 30 mins to get there, but they pay me well and treat me like a person... Anyway, 25 of the 30 mins is country driving. It's a Sat morning around 3:30am (I work 4am-12:30pm) and I'm cruising along down the back roads doing about 70-ish. Suddenly I see another car so I slow down... but he/she is on MY side of the road, so I slow down even more... they aren't getting over... so I'm probably 50-75 yards from them doing 45-50... Still aren't getting over, so running through my head is, "Ditch it, or swerve.... ditch it or swerve?" I decided to swerve, luckily, and miss the car. Some Jack-ass was parked on the wrong side of the road for god knows what reason with his lights ON rather than just the parking lights. Keep in mind that it was at 3:30-ish, and I probably didn't get my full 8 hours.

ShagsSupra

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Wilmington NC
... Automatic Non turbo first week of driving, speeding following a buddy in his del sol around corners and curvey roads lol... hit 6 mail box's (some were star new's) a reality sign and nipped a trash can....

also was speeding and guy pulled out and hit me on the passangers side rear... I got 3500$ for the car and bought it back orm them for 500$ so I ended up with 3000$ and Suposed to have a salvage title, but it never went through cause I never went back and signed the papers for it so I got 3000$ and went out few days latr after I got the money and washed the damage away, only damage that wouldnt go away is the gash in the rim.. they were ugly anyways lol.

closest ive been to a wreck without biting it? was on the same road I hit the mailbox's and thought I was a much better driver 2 months later and hit a patch of sand in 1 turn and it sent me from left to right in both lanes almost taking out a car coming in oncoming traffic...

this was all over 2 years ago tho lol, wised up a GREAT bit since then.