What The F$#K is wrong with the youth these days?

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
We can't beat our kids anymore and they know they can get away with so much more as compared to when some of us were younger. I would have never dared do some shit like that knowing my dad would be home waiting for me.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
CTsupra;1657799 said:
I carry a pair of these everywhere I go now for a less than lethal option. No, I'm not kidding.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Why on earth would you carry motorcycle gloves? They are not as badass as you think.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
this encounter woulda gone way different if it was me being hit, there would have been a gun drawn on the fisrt kid as soon as i turned around to see who blindsided me. doubt the second girl would have hit me at that point. if she did.... they both would have caught lead.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
funky_monkey58;1657889 said:
Why on earth would you carry motorcycle gloves? They are not as badass as you think.

They're not motorcycle gloves, lol. They're Oakley combat gloves with knuckle protectors and palm guards for climbing ropes and general gripping. They make them flame resistant as well. I have a tan pair that have served me very well for a whole year and then some while screwing around in the mountains of Afghanistan. Definitely a reliable, bad ass pair of gloves even for everyday use. But, mostly because I want to protect my wittle fingers if I ever need to bash face.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
CTsupra;1657949 said:
They're not motorcycle gloves, lol. They're Oakley combat gloves with knuckle protectors and palm guards for climbing ropes and general gripping. I also have a tan pair that have served me very well for a whole year and then some while screwing around in the mountains of Afghanistan. Definitely a reliable, bad ass pair of gloves even for everyday use. But, mostly because I want to protect my wittle fingers if I ever need to bash face.

"Excuse me bad ass 11 year old girl, I need to put my combat gloves on so I can hit you."

In reality I think that is a poor self defense choice. They are just gloves, punching someone with them is not going to make a big difference. That thin layer of CF(much like the motorcycle gloves they mimic) is there for skid protection not impact protection from my experience. Try punching something solid and see if they survive and how your hand feels.

If you ever do use them and you go to court because you beat someone you might be putting yourself in a bad situation. You will be seen as carrying combat gloves with the intent of using them as an offensive weapon. It's hard to claim you were in a defense posture retreating from a threat when you are putting on special gloves and then punching. If you had a tazer or bear mace, you can spray and run backwards away from the threat(while still doing harm to them).

Just my opinions of course.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
iwannadie;1657952 said:
"Excuse me bad ass 11 year old girl, I need to put my combat gloves on so I can hit you."

In reality I think that is a poor self defense choice. They are just gloves, punching someone with them is not going to make a big difference. That thin layer of CF(much like the motorcycle gloves they mimic) is there for skid protection not impact protection from my experience. Try punching something solid and see if they survive and how your hand feels.

If you ever do use them and you go to court because you beat someone you might be putting yourself in a bad situation. You will be seen as carrying combat gloves with the intent of using them as an offensive weapon. It's hard to claim you were in a defense posture retreating from a threat when you are putting on special gloves and then punching. If you had a tazer or bear mace, you can spray and run backwards away from the threat(while still doing harm to them).

Just my opinions of course.

A pair of these gloves saved the hand of one of my battle buddies after the barrel of an M2 .50cal machine gun hit a tree while driving in a tight area and the main body of the weapon smashed his hand against the gunners turret nearly crushing it. The thin carbon fiber you say is the only reason why he still has a hand. The CF is not thin on these particular gloves. Out of all gloves with knuckle protection, these are the best. Period.

As for the court thing, you're right; however, who is to say I wasn't already wearing them, or I was working on a car. Doubtful it would hold up in court. I understand your point, yeah there are lots of variables, but like my post above I don't plan on sticking around and explaining to the cops what happened during a street fight, especially after the aggressors have left the area.

Edit: I'm not worried about carrying these gloves around as much as I would be carrying around a tactical pen, or one of those mini kubatons, or any of the other infinitely questionable self defense items as far as intent is concerned.

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I use those gloves for mountain biking. They're freaking awesome. Skid protection is pretty low on my list of priorities - far more concerned with impact damage, running into trees, falling down rockfaces, etc, all on rugged terrain. They only last me about a season - so 8-9 months of use twice a week, and they're fairly pricey, however, given the injuries they have prevented, I'm glad to pay the price.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
considering the damage ive done to my hand in the past (i now have two rebuilt joints and 4 permanent pins in my right hand) i gotta ask where do i come across a pair of these. i frequently ride hard and fast on tight trails on both the bike and quad.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
RazoE;1657695 said:
that'd make you a molester...

I'd rather be a kid beater than a molester that's for sure..

Trust me, it would not make me look like a molester as I would be getting no sexual pleasure in doing that but pleasure of giving her a deserved beat down...

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
I have a set of these that I wear when I am ON MY MOTORCYCLE.
50-2985.jpg

I have a pair similar to what was posted I use while playing hockey, on my dirtbike, and for mountain biking. I would never think of them as a tactical weapon, more as protection from the ground in case of sliding. (which my motorcycle gloves have saved my palms twice.)

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Im surpised the media didnt tryto say that these kids did this because of video games or the music theylisten to lol. Kids these days piss me off, and I'm only 21. :icon_mad: